PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about this picture

Biofuelsimon
22nd December 2007, 02:13 AM
(automatically updated/inserted from The Big Biofuels Blog)

I was sent the link to this in the Biofuelwatch newsgroup.http://www.icis.com/blogs/biofuels/wr.pngŠ Chappatte - www.globecartoon.com (http://www.globecartoon.com) Let me know what you think about the cartoon.

More (from The Big Biofuels Blog)... (http://www.icis.com/blogs/biofuels/archives/2007/12/what-do-you-think-about-this-p.html)

Captain Echidna
22nd December 2007, 01:28 PM
The way people think the world works: farmers grow as much as possible and then try and sell it.
The way the world works: Farmers grow as much as they can without prices falling due to oversupply. Every now and again they (EDIT- thrird party groups) can use an excuse to raise prices, disgusing the fact they could make more food and lower prices.

I dont think the two poor people can afford to get a farmer to grow food for them. If someone who can afford to uses it for ethanol is another discussion. If the rich person stops using it for ethanol, the poor person will still be hungry, unless the rich person gives some of his money to the poor person to buy the corn.

A friend desribed a website for an oil company explaining their pricing.
"In contry areas demand is lower, requiring higher prices to cover costs as a service station costs the same to run regardless of how many people use it"
Latter in the webpage.
"just before weekends demand is higher, so prices have to increase to cover extra trucks for fuel delivery and other associated costs with more useage"

It would be believeable if they addmited prices were set at what people will pay for something. If prices rise 10%, and people buy 5% less, companies are ahead. global welfare does not rate a mention on the bottom of the end of year financial report.

RODEONICK
22nd December 2007, 08:50 PM
[quote=Captain Echidna;18936]The way people think the world works: farmers grow as much as possible and then try and sell it.
The way the world works: Farmers grow as much as they can without prices falling due to oversupply. Every now and again they can use an excuse to raise prices, disgusing the fact they could make more food and lower prices.

are you serious mate my father is a farmer and i know lots of them and not one of them is laughing if its that easy you should go farming and see how difficult it is both physically and mentally. god your a turkey for suggesting this rubbish. the farmer has no control over the price they will get for their crop. and the farmer doesn't raise prices the middle man does. oh and we have been in drought for five years but prices haven't soured because the farmer is the one that get screwed. go speak to a farmer you won't envy him.:mad:

Captain Echidna
23rd December 2007, 07:57 AM
Hi Rodeonick. I have infered that farmers control this situation, and, although not my intent, I was wrong for doing so. The "they" I had meant as governments and supply groups. (I think I remember the drought being a reason why milk prices went up in supermarkets: except farmers are being paid the same by the supermarkets.:confused:)

In America, where most of the "food or ethanol" debate is going on there is an argument that "if we use ethanol, there wont be enough corn for the hungry". There was a lot of land the American government pays farmers NOT to farm (at least when the fryer to the fueltank book was written) as not to cause an oversupply, and drop in prices etc. They were doing this while people were starving in the world. Why didnt wern't the starving buying the food the Americans could prouce? Money. They could not afford to. In the book If I recall correctly America could grow 30% of their diesel fuel requirements on unused land when the book was written. If they choose to use ethanol blended fuel, I am sure this will not impact on those in the world who cant afford food anyway. If (as you have described the third party) puts prices up they could blame all sorts of things, including raise in demand due to ethanol.
A bit like the supermarkets blaming the drought on rising milk prices. yes there is a drought, yes the prices have gone up, but the two are not related. just googling "milk prices" +drought reveals two things. "milk could hit $3" and farmgate price to rise %20. If the consumer is paying $1 more, and farmers getting paid %20 more (lets say on 25c/L =5c) who is getting the 95 cents extra? someone is profiting because they have an excuse to charge more. (yes I know poor figures, but my point still stands)

I agree with you on the state of Australias farming. It would be great if farmers started cutting out the middle man and selling directly to the public. (they at least go into prostitution as they are getting f^*%ed by government, supermarkets, and nearly everone else, they might as well make a buck from it ;))