PDA

View Full Version : Next Sydney Picnic

Hidatid
15th January 2008, 07:27 AM
Hi guys just wondering if there is another picnic coming up, if not can we organise one as I sorely missed the last

Fitian
15th January 2008, 09:10 AM
Yeah guys we need a get together some time soooooooon.

Let's pick a place where families can come and bring the kids to play while we are there talking VO :)

pangit
15th January 2008, 09:21 AM
Yeah, me too. I've really enjoyed the last couple I've attended and look forward to the next one. I'll get the missus to bring some more yummy food too!

RODEONICK
15th January 2008, 09:31 AM
i cant wait to meet you all finally. When are we doing this? :cool:
cheers nick.

Nuddy
15th January 2008, 06:12 PM
I'm new, as in post last picnic, so I don't know about it. Are we talking Biofuels Picnic or SVO picnic (this is on the SVO subforum)?
When and where was the last one. I guess we are talking a Sunday?
Sometime in February?
Somewhere central-ish Greater Sydney?
Sundays in Feb - 3, 10, 17, 24, Sundays in March - 2, 9, 16, 23, 30

Fitian
15th January 2008, 07:06 PM
Are we talking Biofuels Picnic or SVO picnic (this is on the SVO subforum)? When and where was the last one. I guess we are talking a Sunday?
Sometime in February?
Somewhere central-ish Greater Sydney?
Sundays in Feb - 3, 10, 17, 24, Sundays in March - 2, 9, 16, 23, 30

Hello Paul,

It is usually for SVO and Biodiesel users/makers.

We SVO users have learnt to accept biodiesel users/makers and love them as they are - maybe they will change one day and get converted :D.

You can read about the last one HERE (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/nsw_biodiesel_users/3464-sydney_biodiesel_christmas_picnic.html)...

Anytime you guys decide will be okay. As long Roberts brings his kids to sing again and Sean gets his respected wife "not empty handed of course :)" Then I am happy.

Cheers

Robert
18th January 2008, 09:53 AM
I've moved this thread out of the SVO section into the local Sydney section, so that all the other members in other geographical locations don't get too jealous about not being able to come. ;)

I know that many of you are SVO users, but I'm sure you won't mind this thread living out if the SVO section, as there are (currently) no local sub forums for SVO.

We're all one big happy bio burning family anyway.

Nuddy
18th January 2008, 01:25 PM
Sunday 17th Feb is in my diary now.
I am looking forward to it.

Hidatid
21st January 2008, 09:48 PM
17th will be good

edison
24th January 2008, 12:22 AM
IN the complete absence of any other suggestions, I propose Lake Gillawarna, Georges Hall (near Bankstown) on Sunday the 17th of Feb.

I'm new, I'm very seriously handy I have collected all the raw materials, I'll be along to learn but would love to make my first batch sooner, I'm near banstown and would like to hear form anyone who can demonsrate the fiddly measurment bits, feel free to call me on 04 00011102. or prank call me as you see fit 8-) I'm also into barter.

RODEONICK
25th January 2008, 03:28 PM
edison
i'm at kogarah bay. i assume you mean bio not wvo?? i'm a bio maker and would be happy to show you how i make mine when it suits both partties. Barter sounds good to me. :cool:
PM me if your keen and we'll exchange numbers then. and any details you would like. I will also be going to the picnic.:)

edison
26th January 2008, 01:43 PM
Brilliant !!! will Do!

edison
28th January 2008, 09:16 PM
Brilliant !!! will Do!
Hey Rod, your enjoying the australia day weekend a bit too much! youll have a hangover i expect by now, too busy so far to use the 'net. Party on!

Viola
30th January 2008, 03:30 AM
Would love to come along. Hopfully it's a clear weekend!

Vi

Robert
9th February 2008, 09:17 PM
Been a while, so I thought I'd check if everyone's still coming on the 17th? I've also just put the event in the calendar. (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=62&day=2008-2-17)
Only 1 weekend away now, so please pipe up/confirm as soon as you can if you would like to come so people who are coming can know what to expect.

RODEONICK
10th February 2008, 01:45 AM
i'll be there. what time??? what to bring??

Nuddy
10th February 2008, 10:10 AM
Been a while, so I thought I'd check if everyone's still coming on the 17th? I've also just put the event in the calendar. (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=62&day=2008-2-17)
Only 1 weekend away now, so please pipe up/confirm as soon as you can if you would like to come so people who are coming can know what to expect.
I will be there, barring any disasters. Looking forward to meeting other biofuel users.

RODEONICK
11th February 2008, 09:11 PM
Private Message: Re: picnic
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/statusicon/post_new.gif Today, 09:54 AM
Grimwood Heating (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/members/grimwood_heating.html) http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/ranks/biodieselDrop.gif
http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/reputation/reputation_balance.gif

Re: picnic
We can come and do a "table top" display if you like, show our BDK element and control kit, plus elements and controls to suit converted water heaters.

Will you have power so we can do a live demo?
If not we can bring a gene??

Is "someone" going to do a demo brew?

Regards
Brian

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/buttons/forward.gif (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/private.php?do=newpm&forward=1&pmid=8398) http://www.biofuelsforum.com/images/buttons/reply_small.gif (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/private.php?do=newpm&pmid=8398)
can somebody here answer these questions????
i think this would be a great oportunity to see what grimwood has to offer the biodieselers out there.

Robert
11th February 2008, 09:51 PM
Sure, if Grimwood want to come they will be welcome to. Unlike the last ones, where site hire fees have applied, there is no money in this one, so anyone who wants to come and offer anything that can be useful to the biodiesel community can do so. Unfortunately, there will be no power at the site.

Dunno if Wayne is coming with his little bag of tricks to do a demo. If anyone wants to do one, maybe you could discuss with Brian what options would be available to work together best with.

As for timing, I'd guess anytime from midday to maybe 4pm would be sensible. What to bring? Whatever you want really! If everyone brings their own stuff it is easier than trying to coordinate a group effort, but do whatever you like.

geewizztoo
12th February 2008, 08:31 AM
Brian put on a very good diplay of the Grimwood products about 3 picnics ago, they'd be most welcome again.

Not sure if I can make it this time, but I'll do my best as its so local. I've brought my box of tricks along to the last couple of picnics but havent needed to use them as everyone who turned up were seasoned bio'ers.

Col, are you out there? I'd love to see your latest developments.

Cheers, Wayne

pangit
12th February 2008, 09:20 AM
Hopefully there will be some newer bio'ers coming, as I know a few people who couldn't make the last one expressed an interest.

At any rate I'll be there. The hair on my legs has grown back after BBQ'ing my sausages on Westwind's crazy bio powered flamethrower/BBQ last year! :D

pangit
15th February 2008, 10:15 AM
OK, just to remind everyone the location has been proposed as Lake Gillawarna, Georges Hall (near Bankstown) on Sunday the 17th of Feb. It's also known as Landsdowne Park according to Google Maps (see here (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=13745426189460830441,-33.899571,150.975101&saddr=-33.899291,150.97543&daddr=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=-33.90036,150.977705&sspn=0.00805,0.01442&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.899594,150.974293&spn=0.0161,0.028839&z=15)).

It's just off Henry Lawson Drive, on the left if your travelling south from the Hume Highway. It's the second entrance IIRC, and if you hit Hazel St you've gone too far.

It's a great location we used last year, and has a bike track and plenty of space for the kids.

See you there!

Nuddy
15th February 2008, 02:10 PM
OK, just to remind everyone the location has been proposed as Lake Gillawarna, Georges Hall (near Bankstown) on Sunday the 17th of Feb. It's also known as Landsdowne Park according to Google Maps (see here (http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=13745426189460830441,-33.899571,150.975101&saddr=-33.899291,150.97543&daddr=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&sll=-33.90036,150.977705&sspn=0.00805,0.01442&ie=UTF8&ll=-33.899594,150.974293&spn=0.0161,0.028839&z=15)).

It's just off Henry Lawson Drive, on the left if your travelling south from the Hume Highway. It's the second entrance IIRC, and if you hit Hazel St you've gone too far.

It's a great location we used last year, and has a bike track and plenty of space for the kids.

See you there!

OK my street directory (Sydway) shows Lake Gillwarna further south off to the right from Henry Lawson Drive if travelling south, opposite end of Flinders Road.
We need to be sure we are all going to the same place.
My directory shows Naughton Avenue and Deane Place at the spot shown on google, with a 'model car track' on the left. Is this where we are going?
About mid-day?

edison
15th February 2008, 04:28 PM
A good way to help everyone find us is to use chalk marks on the roads leading to the site from all directions, either a piccy on here or just saying 'follow the purple chalk arrows" works perfect.

Fitian
15th February 2008, 10:21 PM
Sorry I can not make to this picnic.

I just had a musculoskeletal imiging guided injection in my spine today and I have to rest for a few days. I did not know that this procedure will require a few days of rest. I hope this will help my long suffering with my back pain.

Have a good picinc day everyone.

Regards,

RODEONICK
15th February 2008, 11:39 PM
to all prospective picnicers BE THERE i've got some goodies for all.:D
Are dogs allowed at this park?? So i'll be there at about 11am see you all when you get there. Be there or be square.:)

pangit
16th February 2008, 11:13 AM
Well the location I marked on the map is exactly where we met last time, and it's a great location. To avoid confusion we should meet there, regardless of what it's called.

Robert
16th February 2008, 01:19 PM
Hope the weather holds out...

Fitian - your back problem sounds nasty, I sincerely hope that your procedure fixes it! (no more hauling WVO tins for you for a while :eek:)

I'll probably be there from about 12:30 or 1ish, but don't wait for me, just sort yourselves out.

Teknichols
16th February 2008, 04:17 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum - nice to meet you all.
Hope to get to the Picnic and talk WVO, guess I'll just look for all the diesels!
Hoping my wife will come so I can convince her that WVO won't destroy the motor, so hoping some long term users are there, who can allay her fears.
Thanks
Cya there
Doug:)

Nuddy
16th February 2008, 11:50 PM
Hi, I'm new to the forum - nice to meet you all.
Hope to get to the Picnic and talk WVO, guess I'll just look for all the diesels!
Hoping my wife will come so I can convince her that WVO won't destroy the motor, so hoping some long term users are there, who can allay her fears.
Thanks
Cya there
Doug:)

Welcome Doug, hope to meet you and your wife tomorrow.
What is your vehicle?
Is it similar to any on our list of vehicles successfully running on WVO in the SVO users sub-forum?
Rather than destroying your motor the greater lubricity of the veg oil compared to dino should extend the life of your IP, as long as the oil is properly filtered and doesn't contain too much water.
Of course running on cold veg oil can cause incomplete combustion with the resultant engine damage. Make sure you have clean dry oil and a good conversion and make sure the oil is good and hot before you inject it and you should have no trouble.
I just noticed you are at Camden. Thats not far from Fitian who did my conversion and many others and runs a couple of vehicles on WVO. Unfortunately he can't make it tomorrow but communicate with him and he will reassure you and your wife. He will advise if you are doing a conversion yourself and if you want a really professional conversion, get Fitian to do it.
Have a lok on the SVO sub-forum for details of some of his work.

RODEONICK
17th February 2008, 12:02 AM
Does anybody know if i can bring my dog DIESEL????

Viola
17th February 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone! It was fantastic to meet you all.

Benny and the kids all had great fun too :)

XOXOX

Vi

RODEONICK
17th February 2008, 11:03 PM
Well DIESEL and I had a great day at the picnic today Guys Thanks!
A special thank you to Brian from Grimwood Heating for showing the great products they have available for backyard bio makers. I was really impressed with your prices and quality:)

And also hats off to Hidatid for the whip crackin' good time you showed the young and young at heart.

Cant wait for the next one:cool:

Nuddy
17th February 2008, 11:42 PM
Yes it was good to put faces to names.
I was pretty late getting there as I had a 2 hour drive to David's place to pick up the old upflow tank, then spent a useful hour yacking with David about oil etc.
Finally got there about 2.30 and got to meet lots of people I 'know' from the forum but have not met before.

Lets have another one in a couple of months. Further north next time?

pangit
18th February 2008, 09:35 AM
Yes it was a great fun day and good to meet you all - particularly the new faces (to me at least). The wife wants a whip of her own now so I think I'm in real trouble! :eek: ;)

Further north would suit me too Paul, so maybe next time we'll have it closer to us!

benny2026
19th February 2008, 04:38 PM
Hey guys i had a great time
I want disappointed at all the bits that learned about Vege fuels
as well as water injection :p
Thanks for the picnic :rolleyes:

Benny:D

Nuddy
19th February 2008, 10:55 PM
Hey guys i had a great time
I want disappointed at all the bits that learned about Vege fuels
as well as water injection :p
Thanks for the picnic :rolleyes:

Benny:D
Hey Benny,
Welcome to the forum. Good to meet you on Sunday.
Maroubra eh! I grew up in the E.S., spent a lot of time on Coogee beach.
My son is looking for a Surf so that I can convert it for him and he can run on WVO.

Now you've joined the forum lets hear from you on the SVO area.
Again welcome.

benny2026
20th February 2008, 12:36 PM
Ahh what can i say about SVO that hasn't already been said maybe .. Whats SVO?
Installationin my Toyota dyna was easy as access is good and no turbo,
I found bolt on plastic tanks to go on the back under the tray 2 x 60 litres
and i can add another 200 litre tank from Kmart that will fit in the tray against the front wall (one day)
I found installing The system in Violas car quite easy for the challenge of access.
removal of the turbo manifold and air filter.
The necromic (i think thats what its called) wire goes on fairly easily with gentle fiddling.
I found the expensive silicon self bonding tape to be incredible and secure.
this is used as a cold start option and line heater when running.
It has heat activated switches to prevent over heating and let you know when operating temp is reached.
we originally installed a heat exchange with Glow plug and Fuel filter that was good , but decided a car needing so much electricity for power windows etc should not have that kinda load all the time.
They where replaced with a Daveco filter with water based heat exchanger.
this was chosen over the normal filter because of it high filter capacity, high sediment and water capcity and built in water trap in the filter medium.
Meaning vege oil / lard collected of the side of the road could be used in emergency / travel situation.

we store our fuel on a 6 x 4 trailer in 200 liter plastic drums and just leave them for a few weeks after they become full. no filtration is used at this time accept through a flower sieve sitting inside an 8" funnel.
This grabs chips moths crumbs etc.
the lard goes through. so do smaller particles.

Sedimentation and water is occasionally pumped off the bottom using hand pump or 12v diaphragm pump and disposed of in commercial oil collection points (usually really late at night)

Both systems functioning fantastic only let down is when they run outta fuel.
Oil changes are combined with engine clean to avoid polymerized residue in the sump from unburned veg e oil.

:eek: photos to come one day :rolleyes:

Benny