PDA

View Full Version : I spotted a biodiesel VW

Suzy
30th January 2008, 08:44 AM
One of those things that makes you smile, I spotted a VW with a very prominent "Powered by Biodiesel" sticker on the window.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2173/2229607530_56b47ffef9.jpg

Anyone here? It's fantastic that there are people who aren't hiding their use of biodiesel.

We also saw a Honda Insight, so it was quite the day for environmentally responsible cars.

mrnamjama
30th January 2008, 10:35 AM
I'd say that the biodiesel VW has it all over the insight and its issue of battery disposal!

I'd be interested in finding out whether the 1.9L Tdi Golf (or the Polo) runs well on biodiesel - let's find out who this person is :)

RODEONICK
30th January 2008, 11:03 AM
lets NOT find out who it is thats a bit of an intrusion on privacy. i wouldn't like people putting pictures on the net that i was un aware of. :mad:and most certainly wouldn't want people tracking me down.:mad: So what that it runs on bio so do most of ours cars. if you want to know about the golf or polo diesel on bio google it i'm sure there will be heaps of info.

and you said you work for the government, can we trust that that statement is in good faith?????:confused: i don't know but i think removing the pic might be a good idea.:cool:

mrnamjama
30th January 2008, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't worry about that photo much - the licence plate has been edited out, so it's just another untraceable golf :)

As for me, I'm a software engineer, not a lawmaker or enforcer - the good faith issue is for you to figure out ;)

For the record, I was looking for the person's online identity, rather than their tax file number!

RODEONICK
30th January 2008, 11:38 AM
I wouldn't worry about that photo much - the licence plate has been edited out, so it's just another untraceable golf :)

As for me, I'm a software engineer, not a lawmaker or enforcer - the good faith issue is for you to figure out ;)

For the record, I was looking for the person's online identity, rather than their tax file number!

well thanks for the clarity mate, i'm sure you can see my concern, canberra address, junior member, govt employee, wants to find bio user.

but thats cool mate i'm just caustios of newbies. welcome anyway mate i hope i can assist you at some stage:)

mrnamjama
30th January 2008, 11:41 AM
No problem at all, I understand 100%. Meanwhile I noticed a couple of other threads about Polos and B100, which all indicate that things are just fine with them.

I also looked for the 'no biodiesel' sticker, which as expected is not present on my car because there is no particulate filter.

Robert
30th January 2008, 11:51 AM
I'd happily display my car with a biodiesel sticker as I already do, as I use commercially produced biodiesel and I want to promote the end use of it. Of course, when I post my photos online, I always pixellate the number plate, as Suzy has done here. I would not think that invades anyone's privacy as it was in a public place (as is this forum) and it has probably been seen by more people on the road as it has been in here.

I'd say whoever put that sticker on the back of their car would have got it from The Biodiesel Station, who were supplying fuel from ABG (until they dried up). I'd say it's also a pretty safe bet that it's a forum user.

Just for the record, the private details of forum users are never available. Even if the ATO one day said that they wanted to trace all the users in this forum, they would not be able to. The server is hosted in Switzerland and owned by people friendly to my cause. Even if they could do the impossible, the best they could get would be user alias and an IP address - not much to go on and a lot of work to chase down. I started these forums to try and bring all the hiding biodiesel people out of the woodwork so that the use of it could be promoted more freely in Australia.

RODEONICK
1st February 2008, 11:15 AM
i feel like a crim now , servers in swizerland and all that stuff:eek:
oh its good to know were protected a bit.:cool:

nitramluap
2nd February 2008, 09:30 AM
i don't know but i think removing the pic might be a good idea.:cool:

Let's not be paranoid (although the authorities would like us to be paranoid... don't get me started on that!)

Our number plates are on display every day and who knows how many accidental photos our cars are in. The only way the owner of this car can be personally identified from the number plate is if you have access to the database with that information. Furthermore, if you do have access, looking it up 'just for interest' is illegal and the searches are all audited.

The OP blurred the plate so I don't think there is even anything to debate.

Oh, my number plate is QBI01Z :p

Paul Martin