PDA

View Full Version : Australian Tax Office may clamp down on unlicensed biodiesel blenders

envirofuel
8th February 2008, 11:21 PM
(automatically updated/inserted from The Envirofuels Blog)

The Australian Trucking Association (ATA) will campaign to protect unlicensed manufacturers that blend biodiesel and diesel fuels in depot tanks from excise licensing laws that threaten to significantly reduce biodiesel consumption in the transport industry.

Please click this link to read the full article on the Envirofuels website. (http://envirofuel.com.au/2008/02/08/australian-tax-office-to-clamp-down-on-unlicensed-biodiesel-blenders/)

Robert
9th February 2008, 12:38 PM
Things are looking a bit grim people.

I have commented before, as have others that pouring a bit of mineral diesel on top of a tank of bio, or even SVO is "technically" illegal. Some people took offense to this, some people ridiculed it, some people complained about the government and others complained about people complaining to the government because they said that we should just shut up and keep it to ourselves and hope to not get noticed. (phew, long sentence).

Of course, in this case, we're not talking about individuals blending in their own vehicles, but distributors and commercial operators and suppliers blending, which is only "technically" a different matter.

I've already bemoaned the attacks on the biodiesel industry in Australia (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general_biodiesel_discussion/3967-death_commercial_biodiesel_australia.html), which I see as reducing the amount of commercial biofuel available to the average consumer. I also see even small percentages of biofuel to the average consumer doing far more benefit for the country in terms of air quality, carbon reduction, heath, economics etc than a small group of people making their own and using only that. I know many of you do make your own and I fully support you, but please don't discount the importance of the rest of the people who may be too lazy, too stupid or too ignorant to do it themselves, but at least they can still make some difference.

Just remember, if you don't mind the ATO coming to ask about commercial blending excise now, then you won't be able to complain about it when they come for you.

So far no one has stepped forward to offer to support any submissions in support of the people who are fighting this sort of thing (and still do have a reasonable plan and chance of winning) and I'm not going to stick my neck out any further for it if no one else does. If anyone wants to assist at all, please speak up.

CHEVY
9th February 2008, 01:13 PM
Hello Robert,

You have my support. Anything I can do in Brisbane ?

Terry Syd
9th February 2008, 01:35 PM
Chevy, many times I have been involved with trying to work for change in this 'system'. All too many times I have people say "we're behind you 100%" - unfortunately what they meant was waayyy behind me.

If someone wants change, then they have to work for it. Call your local representative for a meeting, write a letter to the editorial section of a newspaper, do something you can do.

If everyone on this forum did just one thing they could do, it wouldn't be much individual effort. However, all the effort adds up. Although the media is as corrupt as the political process, unless they have agreed on a mutual agenda the media can run with it, and they do, we have seen it many times.

Make some waves.

CHEVY
9th February 2008, 05:06 PM
I'll see what I can do.

Foretunatly our media and pollys here in QLD aren't such a bad lot.

Federally - IMHO, once it finds its feet, the new Rudd government should be a good thing for Biofuels in general.

Robert
9th February 2008, 07:59 PM
If everyone on this forum did just one thing they could do, it wouldn't be much individual effort. However, all the effort adds up... agreed on a mutual agenda...

Re the "mutual agenda" Chevy, this is what most organisations try to do, they grab all the disparate and scattered views of their members, find common agreed points from them and create a unified message with it. This sort of thing has be shown to work time and time again with media and government, as long as the same message can be easily preached from many different places.

As soon as all the individuals start giving their views that conflict slightly on some minor points, but agree on the major ones, people only notice the difference and the message is lost. The biodiesel industry group suffered from a bit of this and the petroleum interests who showed a united front gave a far clearer and more consistent message that easily translated into government policy.

The reason the ABU was set up was to provide a vehicle to gather all the views of the members and find a way to express them in a more powerful way than what "a bunch of guys" might be able to do. Of course, in reality, the ABU is just "a bunch of guys", but hopefully if the message is well thought and constructed and delivered in a professional manner, it might get some better media and political attention.

The only real problem is that people need to commit to helping and actually do it!

Please do write to your local member, please do contact media by all means, but if the work you did were shared within ABU, then it might be able to be translated elsewhere and be able to echo with more voice than just yours.

The last political submission we did was the work of just a few guys who busted their guts (well, put aside a small amount of time each week for a few weeks) and it got some good attention. It could have got much more if it had a few more people helping in a more coordinated effort.

There are some members of industry groups now working with local councils and gathering some other voices to campaign about this. What I'd like to see the ABU doing is getting a few people to volunteer to help connect to these other groups who are working towards the same goals and find ways to help them and add our voice to give it some more impact.

If anyone wants to seriously help, please do. If you just want to send me copies of any work that you may have done on this yourself, please do.

CHEVY
9th February 2008, 10:53 PM
if the message is well thought and constructed and delivered in a professional manner, it might get some better media and political attention

Robert, I have taken your advice on board.

One problem I had identified was that I am a relative newbie to the biofuel cause. What exactly could I say to the QLD media or politicions that they have not heard before.

As a reader of both the Courier Mail and QLD Country life, I have gained the impression that both papers are fairly pro Biofuels. I believe this reflects a pro Biofuels attitude in the QLD Government.

At present I am reveiwing Biofuel articles in past editions of the Courier Mail and Country Life to see if my impressions are correct.

Tony From West Oz
9th February 2008, 11:57 PM
Chevy,
Thanks for standing up and accepting the challenge.

Print off the linked page on the EF website, try to contact the trucking people in your area who are using biodiesel. Seek their input, then when you have the local details, contact the papers to put the information to them.

If you want some critique of the message, post it here for some constructive comments on phrasing / order of items to maximise the impact on the Journalist.

If you can get one or more of the biodiesel using trucking companies who are affected, to participate in the interview all the better. It WILL be more effective in the paper if local people are impacted.

You can also mention the changes to biodiesel blend availability as discussed in this post (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general_biodiesel_discussion/3967-death_commercial_biodiesel_australia.html), but it may not be appropriate to use that in the first interview. I would take advice from others on that, before including it in the interview.

Regards,
Tony