Just wondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just wondering

Hi all, new to this forum looks like a good place to ask maybe a silly question! I have just bought my first house and it has a old vulcan oil heater in it. Remembering as a kid, my parents had one and it threw out a great heat. The cost of heating oil is too much to afford, so was wondering if anyone knows would or is it possible to make or use some sort of bio fuel to burn in the heater? Any advise would be great.

Re: Just wondering

I seem to recall a discussion on the Infopop forum a couple of years ago where someone was trying to pick up one of those heaters. Apparently (I can't vouch for it) it can use biodiesel. You might use the search function on infopop and see if you can locate the discussion.

Does the Vulcan send it flames up through coils of piping in order to pre-heat the fuel so it vaporises?

Curiosity got the better of me - here are the search results

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru...eqWords=Vulcan
    Terry Syd
    Last edited by Terry Syd; 16 June 2006, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Ahh yes the vulcan oil heater. I can vouch they will run on vegetable oil, for about 15 minutes. They will then be full of gum which will have the consistency of tar. Dont ask me how to get rid of it, I havent really worked out how. It was an interesting experiment, but not long lived.
      They operate by having a bath of oil which vaporises, and it burns at the top where it is mixed with air. There is not really any pre heating, I think the oil is heated by radiant heat, or convection through the metal.
      If you do run it on biodiesel lets know how it goes. (mine is in the shed under some stuff, and I am not making bodiesel yet)
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. Maybe the tar is left because the the heater wont get hot enough to vaporise the oil properly??? Any idea what the flash point of vege oil is?

Comment

Unfortunately, the oil does not simply 'vaporise', it chars, polymerises and becomes carbon. The Vulcan oil heater is not suitable for burning vegoil.
          Biodiesel may be a suitable fuel, but due to its high flash point, you would be hard pushed to reach its self ignition temperature in a Vulcan. Blends of diesel/Biodiesel may be a possibility.

I am a member of a small community organisation who rented a house as an office. It had a Vulcan oil heater and I did try it out on veggie. I then stopped using veggie and returned to using the kero in the tank.
          I also researched the prices of Kero and Diesel and found that Kero was about 25 c/l dearer than diesel. Diesel works well in the Vulcan.
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I found on a site -(not sure which one forgot to add to my favorites) that the flash point for fuel oil
            no:1 is 210 C suitable for small space heaters
            no:2 is 256 C residential heating
            no:3 is 262 C industrial

found on here about rapeseed oil with a flash point of 220 C so I would guess this type of oil would fire up so to speak. The thing is when it burnt would it burn clean or just gum up. What do you think?

I searched the history and found the site http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fu...res-d_171.html might be useful for others as well.
            Grahamm
            Biofuels Forum Newbie
            Last edited by Grahamm; 18 June 2006, 01:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X