Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sump oil into Diesel. Is it to good to be true.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sump oil into Diesel. Is it to good to be true.

Hi Team.
    Has anyone looked into this company below.
    Free Diesel
    They claim their plans turn sump oil into diesel (Not Bio diesel)
    Came across them a few years back and they are still selling the
    plans. Just seems to good to be true.
    Hope this does not offend our true bio members.

Tried searching this forum but nothing on this company from
    South Australia.
    Thanks Neil.

Re: Sump oil into Diesel. Is it to good to be true.

Weird. I'm not paying 150 a copy to find out but I am curious.
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

i fail to see how you could get enough of the stuff and for the process to be energy efficient.
      I don't think i would anyhow cos sump oil is so so valuable to me anyhow.
      Cheers
      Nick.
      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
      sigpic

Comment

One of finding out is we all here pay for a copy and educate ourselves.

A trusted member can hold the money and pay for the copy. The we can all learn.

What you guys think.
        Fitian
        <><

Comment

I recall this being discussed before, and while it can be done sump oil has so much bad stuff in it that burning it in your engine is a really bad idea from the emissions point of view.

And anyway, as long as there is plenty of vege oil around then it's much easier to use and less poisonous.
          Sean

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Found them selling on ebay which had more info than their own website.
            States no running cost no electricity or gas required.

Not sure how one would share the plans as you need to sign a large
            agreement with them. Check that out from the site.

Would be interested as Fitian above mentioned. would prefer a more
            experienced member involved before going ahead with this myself.

ebay link below.
            eBay Motors: SUMP OIL TO DIESEL PLANS = HOME MADE BIO FUEL FOR FREE! (item 270228580374 end time Apr-21-08 04:25:50 PDT)
            neil.

Comment

I did discuss it with a work colleauge, who seemed to think the proporton was about 5 liters of sump oil in for one liter of "diesel" out
              Would need a lot of sump oil, for a trip.
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
                I did discuss it with a work colleauge, who seemed to think the proporton was about 5 liters of sump oil in for one liter of "diesel" out
                Would need a lot of sump oil, for a trip.
                This is from the site.

Looks interesting.

◊ AT LEAST 50% CONVERSION RATE (FOR EVERY 100L OF WASTE OIL YOU GET AT

LEAST 50L OF DIESEL WITH ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF WASTE TO DISPOSE OF - ABOUT 1KG OF ASH)

We have had the fuel tested and it produces slightly more power than normal shop bought diesel and produces less smoke.

The fuel shows no waxing or other ill effects even at Minus 18deg Celcius!

Sent an email to the company about the type of oil you can use and this is the response below.
                [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Hi Neil,[/font]
                [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']It doesn't matter, even if some trans fluid, coolant, brake fluid, gear oil etc is mixed in. as long as engine oil (car or truck) is the majority.[/font]

neil
                Last edited by neil; 18 April 2008, 09:54 AM. Reason: Removing names and address I think I should not have placed on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by neil View Post
                  ◊ AT LEAST 50% CONVERSION RATE (FOR EVERY 100L OF WASTE OIL YOU GET AT

LEAST 50L OF DIESEL WITH ONLY A SMALL AMOUNT OF WASTE TO DISPOSE OF - ABOUT 1KG OF ASH)
                  Sounds way too good to be true

Now I never was too good at maths so where did I go wrong here?
                  100 litres in and 50% conversion. Gives me at least 50 litres of fuel and only a little ash to dump?

I seem to have misplaced about 50 litres somewhere I think.

The only way I can see you getting anything out of used oil is by cracking/reforming then distilling. If you can get this working on a small scale backyard project, why not just buy a heap of crude oil and produce youe own everything that comes out of a full sized refinery.

Comment

Yawn. It's the usual case of "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

And crikey, $125 for some PLANS?!! That bit certainly isn't too good to be true!!

Anyway, there's an old thread that discusses it here and another one on a UK site here. Looks like it can be done, but certainly doesn't sound as easy as the Ebay ad says (surprise surprise!)
                    DO NOT USE IT!

Reasons-

Hideous emissions of lead, oxides of indium and aluminium (From engine bearings) as well as all the other carcinogenic and corrosive nasties it makes when burned....

Excess carbon build-up (From the above, and the spent additives in waste engine oils, which themselves are pretty nasty, even when 'fresh'...)
                    And it's not Bio fuel either, as the ad claims.
                    Sean

Comment

As he is in Mount Gambier (as am I) I would be happy to "check out" a working copy if anyone is interested. I would be happy to sign the "confidentiality" agreement as not to disclose how it works, but comment on wether it works.

My other recolection is that it is a burner of some description. Could it work like a vulcan oil heater (burner which vaporises the oil) but then condenses some of the vapour?
                      Captain Echidna
                      Last edited by Captain Echidna; 17 April 2008, 09:36 PM.
                      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Have a look at How Oil Refining works.

Don't you think that if there was Diesel still in the lubricating oil it would already have been removed in the refinery during distillation? Afterall this is what distillation does. To be correct it is Fractional Distillation.

The only way to get diesel from Lubricating Oil is to perform CRACKING as explained here.

Now can this be done in a backyard setup? I some how don't think so, because as that article explains you need temperatures in the range of 800oC.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
                          As he is in Mount Gambier (as am I) I would be happy to "check out" a working copy if anyone is interested. I would be happy to sign the "confidentiality" agreement as not to disclose how it works, but comment on wether it works.

My other recolection is that it is a burner of some description. Could it work like a vulcan oil heater (burner which vaporises the oil) but then condenses some of the vapour?
                          Hi Captain.
                          Sounds a good idea a visit.
                          I have been in touch with them by email and put your request of a visit to
                          them and also a link to this site and asked if they would be prepared to
                          explain a bit more to our members, so hopefully they will join and
                          contribute and explain a bit more and if we get the chance for one of our
                          members to visit better again.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and replies.
                          Also the links members above have supplied have been interesting. Thanks.
                          Neil.

Comment

This sump oil into diesel machinery comes up from time to time in different forums.
                            A few things to consider:

$150 is a ridiculously low price to pay for this sort of technology even when it is only plans. 100 litres of fuel and you have paid it off.
                            So if it is that good how come there are not more people doing it?
                            Since the same can be said for biodiesel I suppose...sort of, I turned to the happy customers testimony and all I could find is people who say they have bought the plans, that say they now can see how this would work, some other pleasantries like they have been looking for it for a long time....and that's it.

The manufacturer can not provide one single happy customer who is making his own diesel and has done so for years and is happy with the results? Not one? There must be someone out there for sure!

Now that to me is a bit of a put off...even when I know that sump oil, after a thorough process of cleaning can be burned in a diesel engine if mixed in a sensible percentage with normal diesel, or bio for that matter.

..........After taking a slight chance & ordering the plans, I indeed see how this will work.... These guys seem to have these plans down pat through much trial and error & from what I understand they have all the bugs worked out. Even though I have not begun construction yet, ....etc
                            ...........I have started to read through the information and think it is a great prospect... It will take a few months before I will start building the system ....etc

...... After looking at your plans I don't have to think I know they will work. The simple design is pure genius. Etc

...a lot of ebayers asking questions about your plans and I am telling them that your plans are worth every penny your asking for them... I am not sure if they are buying but they sound interested....etc

...Kudos on an ingenious and easy to understand plan..... I WILL be transporting myself on FREE FUEL!.....etc etc etc
                            Now I would like to meet someone who actually makes the stuff or at lest some analysis results from the product of this process.
                            Not much to ask, the above are not testimony of people making diesel from sump oil, this are testimony of people who have bought plans, and it seems are still making plans

Here is something that may be similar?
                            Not sure...
                            Motor Oil Fuel Blending System | Waste Oil & Used Oil Recovery System

more:
                            http://www.pfaudler.com/images/docs/...0datasheet.pdf
                            http://www.p2pays.org/ref%5C05/04812.pdf
                            Last edited by Guest; 20 April 2008, 10:13 PM.

Comment

OK so condensing wont crack the oil, I wonder then if it is just recondensing the oil? (minus the carbon that makes it black, which goes to ash) I wonder what its viscosity is? perhaps its just clean sump oil?I guess if they agree I will take a funnel and some diesel and do a viscosity comparison. Apart from the machine working, what else would people like to check?If they dont agree, perhaps I will for $5 offer to check out anyone making claims on the internet for free fuel plans who are located in my area......

Comment

Working...
                              X