PDA

View Full Version : Hi Everybody ! Newby here ...

pdm.375
5th May 2008, 11:49 PM
Chris posted back in 2006 about who would be willing to buy bio diesel in Melbourne's west - answer I WOULD !

I'm new to bio diesel - so be gentle.

I'm picking up my 1997 Landcruiser HZJ75RP later this week - driving it down from Sydney. It will see predominantly off road use and has 380K kms - all petro diesel. It has a 4.2 litre Toyota 1HZ engine in it.

I want to run it on BD or BD blend.

I've read here that fuel lines may need to be replaced. Are the fuel lines on a 1997 vehicle likely to be OK or a problem ?

For the drive down from Sydney, I was thinking of running it on BD but am concerned about fuel filter blockage - I won't have a spare with me as I will be travelling light. How quickly after starting to use BD will the fuel system clean out ?

Thanks for your words of advice. Looking forward to spending more time online with you all.

Peter.

Tony From West Oz
6th May 2008, 12:07 AM
Peter,

Welcome to the forum, there is plenty to read about biodiesel here.

If you don't have a couple of spare fuel filters, forget travelling long distances on your first tanks of biodiesel. You will find that Murphy's Law does define the likelihood of a fuel blockage as being inversely proportional to your ability to replace the filter.

Many people find that biodiesel will clean out the crud from the diesel fuel tank in 2 or 3 tanks worth of fuel. Some take less, others more.
If you want to use biodiesel fro the trip, buy a number of fuel filters and learn how to replace them on the side of the road.

Perhaps you can get a 20% bio diesel blend and use that, it will not cause any significant cleaning of the diesel tank.

Do a search for "The Biodiesel Station", as I believe that it is one of the best sources of biodiesel in Vic (or NSW or somewhere over East ;) )

Regards,
Tony

pdm.375
6th May 2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the advice Tony.
I'm heading up to Sydney on Friday. So between now and then I'll see if I can get some spare filters and work out what tools I'll need to change them on the road.
If possible I'll fill up with BD for the trip back to Melbourne as I'd like to take the opportunity to clean out the fuel tank and lines quickly.

Does BD also clean out the diesel pump, injectors, etc ?

Does BD clean out combustion chambers, etc ?

On a vehicle with 380K kms on the clock, I want to concentrate on cleaning out the engine, including frequent oil changes, in order to adeqautely determine the condition of the engine and extend it's life if possible.

Peter.