Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intro :: New member joined today (26th May)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intro :: New member joined today (26th May)

Hi

Feeling the pain of diesel $$'s .. have a 94 Daihatsu Rocky that still has a few more years in it.... wife putting pressure on to cut back on the trips to the Highlands (because of the $$'s) need to find an alternative. That's why I'm here.

During the trout season probably go through 250 litres per month X 7/8 months.

Reasonably technically skilled etc etc .. so I'll be trawling around here to get the necessary info / insights.

PS more than happy to shared $$'s tools / etc with like minded to make it happen ... I live in Fern Tree

See you online

Stuart

Re: Intro :: New member joined today (26th May)

Gday and welcome,How are you going in getting a supply of WVO? regards Westwinds

Comment

Originally posted by Westwinds View Post
      Gday and welcome,How are you going in getting a supply of WVO? regards Westwinds
      Hi Westy ... and thanks for the welcome.

WVO ... from what I've read this may be a bit of an issue

Would you advise "securing" your supply WVO before getting too far done the track ?

Also with the price of diesel is it becoming more difficult to source WVO as it is becoming a real commercial opportunity for someone to collect?

Stuart

Comment

Originally posted by Prickle View Post
        Hi Westy ... and thanks for the welcome.

WVO ... from what I've read this may be a bit of an issue

Would you advise "securing" your supply WVO before getting too far done the track ?
        Definitely a good idea. It's not easy. I'll save you a few stops if you like...

The Fern tree shop is taken, not that they use a lot there.

The Fern tree pub uses the commercial collectors.

Many of the businesses in hobart are tied up with one of the commercial collectors...

All that said, you might want to find out what you're getting into before organising to take WVO from someone. It's really bad for everyone to screw someone around agreeing to take their WVO output, then quitting a few weeks later... not that I'm saying you will. Just that some people jump in with oodles of enthusiasm, then find that they can't continue due to either the time/difficulty... and that can annoy business owners that were expecting you to take their WVO... making it harder for the next person.

So start small, find out how it all works, then start asking around.

Quite bluntly, I find organising WVO to be the worst aspect of the whole thing... but I'm not a people person.

Apparently the commerical collectors will sell Oil by the drum... but I'm not sure if its filtered and dewatered.

If you need a better run down of the process or a demo, or just a good chat about it, send us a PM in these forums. I'm in Fern tree too and can organise something.

Given our location, there are a few specific issues that you'll have that most other users in Oz don't experience...

Comment

Originally posted by kamel View Post
          The Fern tree shop is taken, not that they use a lot there.

The Fern tree pub uses the commercial collectors.

Hi Kamel

Great to find someone so close ... love to catch up to chew the WVO

Sent a PM I think

Stuart

Comment

G'day Prickle, getting oil is really hard, I've been doing this for more than 3 years now and have lost some of my suppliers to commercial business, who are starting to pay for oil. I believe Johnston's will sell you 200 litres for about $200, but it may have changed in the last year or so. You are better of checking out some small out of town places which commercial don't go to, but in most you will see a 200 lt drum of theirs. I've also lost a couple of big suppliers when they changed hands and some one got to them before they even moved in. As Kamel says, we have different issues than those in Aus have. When I travel over there, oils easy to get, but when I travel round Tas, I have to carry it all as it's rare to get even one drum in most places. Being so small, the commercials go right round the state, there's two up nth and Johnston down here and they are not very cordial people and will push you out if they can.

If you're just getting into this, then just take it easy and build yourself up by taking the advice you'll find on this site. If you need to know about Tas approaches, just post and we will help if we can. Cold can be a big issue with both SVO or BD, but there are ways around it satisfactorily. The first thing to do with your car, is put in a big heavy duty crank/deep cycle battery. I use a 760 crank amps one as there are times when you need to do a bit of cranking, with our cold and having to give the battery a flogging sometimes, you need the best. The big crank amps, give you heaps of fast turning power and the deep cycle gives you longevity. You need that as cold weather can have you cranking for up to a minute on SVO to get the heat up, my HJ60's motor is really old so she is down on compression and even after stopping it for 10 minutes, she can be hard to start. Also its a good idea living Tas to have a glow plug over ride button so you can whack a bit more heat into the cylinders on a cold windy day.
            Alga
            Last edited by Alga; 28 May 2008, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Alga ... plenty to chew over. I'm in no big rush ..just sussing it out at this stage

I just have a general question ... Is there a guesstimate cents per litre cost to produce BD ie cost of chemicals, methanol etc (but no cost on time, collection costs, heating etc) say a 50 litre batch

Or is it a "how long is a piece of string" type question

Stuart

Comment

it costs about 0.30c per litre roughly.
                Cheers
                Nick.
                Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks Nick ..... it's looking good

Stuart

Comment

Hi Stuart,

Send me a PM if you still need oil. I know of a source fairly close to you.
                    Cheers.

Phil.
                    MQ Patrol - WVO since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ute View Post
                      Hi Stuart,

Send me a PM if you still need oil. I know of a source fairly close to you.
                      Cheers.

Phil.

If you hear of any others I'm starting to have problems sourcing it too.

Comment

Is there anyone out there in need of canola oil willing to sell in near unlimited supply

Comment

Originally posted by robbiearvier View Post
                          Is there anyone out there in need of canola oil willing to sell in near unlimited supply
                          Well, that depends on the price.

Comment

well i was thinking around 50c litre but if no one buys it then ill have to make it lower or not do it! have to cover costs at very least! I am not really sure what it is worth thats all?

Comment

Working...
                            X