Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Gas Tanks as Processors

Hi again,

I have seen in some pictures on the collaborative site. They had a few propane gas tanks on it. I have found today and bought a couple of approx I will say 100L ones. Only $5 so if it all goes pear shaped, then only a couple of dollars down the drain.

My question is....Does anyone know of any way, or even problems of drilling a hole then brazing on fittings to use? I looked at some hot water heaters but the tanks looked to be better to use.

Also, does anyone know of any problems using them with reacting with the biodiesel, like copper does etc?

Thanks

Re: Propane Gas Tanks as Processors

Have a look here.

http://www.biofuelsforum.com/making_...processor.html

Comment

Thanks again Dodge,ur a great help.

Still, does anyone know what the propane gas cylinders are made of and any advers effects if we braze brass fittings on?

Comment

Originally posted by howeller73
        Thanks again Dodge,ur a great help.

Still, does anyone know what the propane gas cylinders are made of and any advers effects if we braze brass fittings on?
        I would expect that propane tanks would be made of Steel. (possibly Stainless Steel)
        The issues with cutting and welding them, is that they were used to contain a flammable gas under pressure.

Before ANY work, ensure that the tank has been drained and depressurised.
        Do NOT use oxy-acetylene gas for cutting!
        This uses a blast of oxygen to burn the metal.
        As excess oxygen is used, there would be plenty to cause an explosion of any remaining propane, or even the CO in exhaust gas being used to purge the tank.
        If you are planning to cut them with an angle grinder or other abrasive cutter, or to weld using oxy-acetylene or electric arc, you could use a Spark Ignition engine exhaust to purge any oxygen from the tank, and this should continue while the cutting and welding proceeds. Note, ensure that the engine is not idling "RICH" as this will provide a fuel heavy exhaust gas and may cause fire at an outlet from the tank.

My suggestion for brazing a fitting to the tank, is to drill a pilot hole where you want to mount a fitting.
        Drill out the pilot hole to the required size.
        Braze the fitting in place, centred on the hole.
        Tony From West Oz
        Vice Chairperson of WARFA
        Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 4 July 2006, 12:28 AM.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Someone told me not to use brass fittings with diesel as they react. Maybe silver solder rather than braze and use fittings approved for diesel rather than the cheaper plumbers brass fittings.

LP tanks can be either stainless or hi tensile steel. Remember any welding will remove the hi tensile properties. That is why you are not supposed to weld compressor tanks etc. Drilling and using flange fittings may will be better than welding.

Let us know how you go as I have a 90 ltr stainless tank I picked up from the last hard rubbish collection.

Comment

Thanks all for your input so far.

They are definitelynot SS.

The plan was for one of them to cut the top off with grinder and use as my wash tank, then using the cut off as my lid again.

I plan on using an aquarium pump mounted to the side of the tank, above the fluid, and have one or two bubble stones in the bottom. Do the bubble thing.

The brass fittings is an interesting one, as some people say to use brass as it doesnt react, and others dont.

I'm also currently looking at the ball valves, and they have nickel plated brass or something, as they are halkf price of SS valves.

Comment

Mate
              Take them down to the local radiator repair joint and get them to flush them clean Then fill them up with water up to the last couple of inches of where you want to drill your holes and you will be fine
              If you really want to be further assured get yourself a bottle of CO2 from Cig and pump the gas through the tank while you are doing whatever
              My suggestion would be to use a hole saw for drilling with a very slow drill and plenty of oil Avoid grinders as well as the hot axe if you can For a few dollars for a hole saw even if you ruin it it does not matter
              In so far as fittings are concerned SC 40 fittings are more than good enough as well as cheap enough They are available at any engineering supplies joint like Blackwoods as well as others Your local panel beater will be more than happy to run a weld around them with his mig welder for the going currency of a slab and you can join him in demolishing them after the job is done Keep them full of water just to make sure If he gives the hole a puff of argon from his torch before he strats so much the better
              The Italian ball valves will see you through for a few years and you can replace them when they are gone phat
              Dont stress to much if you where to keep your process at atmospheric pressure these tanks are far stronger than any copper tank you would come accross from any hot water service they are designed for 120 psi BEFORE any modifications by the likes of us
              Go for it and take note all the post's here they are all good advice so TAKE NOTE
              Cheers
              Chris
              Cheers
              Chris
              Never give up :)

Comment

Working...
              X