Water, ACT and the Murray Darling Basin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water, ACT and the Murray Darling Basin

I have been following media comments re this topic and some of the figures produced seem to be very rubbery.

ABC news quoted ACT as using 62 gigalitres but receiving only 25 gigalitres in the last year. ACT Government confirms $300m water security plan ABC Australian Capital Territory

Local newspaper the Cronicle 27 May 20008 quotes ACT as normally using 26 gigalitres per annum with a 40 gigalitre cap.

Are their any experts out there that can explain to me how these figures arise?

Sort of answered my own questions - ABC had an article 27th May that covered this in more detail.
    Still alot of smoke and mirrors though when you consider Canberra is expected to build another 100,000 houses and grow by another 25% in the coming years and the figures do not add up.
    Last edited by smokey2; 1 June 2008, 02:39 PM.

Re: Water, ACT and the Murray Darling Basin

I guess if the population of Australia is going up, and the nuber of houses is also going up, and the rainfall is going down, then the only way to get things to "fit" is for water consumption per person to go down.

I would imagine water restrictions will continue to get tougher, and the population will continue to rise, but there will be a story on the PM's latest education plan in between the news article on water restricitions and population growth/ "one baby for mum and dad, and one for the country" so the unwashed masses dont catch on. (plan on baby number 3 not geting washed too often)
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Re: Water, ACT and the Murray Darling Basin

If every town along a river takes out more then they put back in when you get to the end it is getting a bit dry - ask South Australia.

Couple this with poor environmental flows, where the water quality as you goes downstream gets worse, and the system begins to break down.?

We are all in a mindset where water is a right, and a right to use and abuse as we see fit, but this needs to change quickly.

I have always lived on tank water and you soon start to value it when the tank is at 10% capacity and it does not look like rain :-)

Some people just take a bit longer to learn or have to be persuaded.
      Telegraph Point NSW
      Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
      Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Working...
      X