Recent conversion of 1976 Mecedes 300D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent conversion of 1976 Mecedes 300D

This is the link to the details of my recent conversion.

http://oztayls.blogspot.com/

It's pretty much standard sort of stuff, except perhaps my plumbing system. I'll add the diagram to my blog shortly...

Thanks Tony from West Oz for your help...

Let me know what you think...
    Cheers
    Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
    1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
    1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Re: Recent conversion of 1976 Mecedes 300D

Originally posted by bruceT
    This is the link to the details of my recent conversion.

http://oztayls.blogspot.com/

It's pretty much standard sort of stuff, except perhaps my plumbing system. I'll add the diagram to my blog shortly...

Thanks Tony from West Oz for your help...

Let me know what you think...
    Bruce, you have done a wonderful job on your car, and on your Blog. Congratulations.

You may wish to put together a diagram which shows the fuel system connections, as this may help some people understand how you have it arranged.

I see that this is a 'work in progress' and you may have already started on this. Keep up the good work.

Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I agree with tony, you've done a great job. Having read your reasons for using wvo and vo has made me think about how I wil cope with the regulations they'll use to control biofuels. I may expereiment wit both methods until things are much clearer, I just bought a bd processor.

Comment

Excellent. You gotta love those old diesel Mercs.

Does it drive any differently on WVO than dino? Any loss in power?
        Sean

Comment

I believe that there should a performance hit, but I have not noticed any marked difference in power. It seems a little quieter and there's less "rattle" when idling on WVO.
          Cheers
          Bruce

1976 W123 300D (3 litre 5-cyl NA diesel running on SVO since June 2006)
          1982 W126 280SE (Sadly is For Sale)
          1993 W124 300D (3 litre 6-cyl NA diesel - being converted to SVO)

Comment

Believe me, Bruce,
            If there was a performance hit, you WOULD feel it in a 300D. You know the figures, they have about 79 HP (around 50KW of Neck Snapping Brute Force POWER) . Well, they have 50KW of power and weigh over a ton, just enough power to make them a comfortable cruiser and a fairly good city car, but it would be difficult to keep up with most of the cars on the road if any of the drivers decided to put the boot into it in their cars
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

A great conversion, Something I discovered. Dont go for a ride in a car that can do a 1/4 mile in 12 seconds (it had a dyno sheet for 268KW at the rear wheels) and then get into your mercedes. This only highlights that the 50KW isn't quite enough.

Seriously what fuel economy are you getting on vegetable oil? Mine seems to be using about 14.5L/100K (or 16 miles per gallon) but I think it was similar on fossil diesel. Not that the cost is a issue, but I do 1000K trips in it, and it is an issue taking that much oil with me.

The other thing was after changing my main tank to vegetable oil I seem to be getting a lot of stuff out of the tank (that isnt in the oil when it goes in) so it may be an idea to clean the tank before you use it for veg oil. Take care to check the fuel guage, mine is not reliable on oil.
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
              X