cleaning out old drums

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning out old drums

Hi, Does anyone know how I can get an old oil drum cleaned out so I can use it for WVO storage? Its been used for heavy vehicle gear oil. There's some dregs left in which I can drain out, but I should think I should need it pretty much spotless before i use it for veg oil. Any Ideas greatly appreciated.
    dylan
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by dylan; 7 July 2008, 06:06 PM.

Re: cleaning out old drums

About the only way would be to drop a couple of litres of petrol in it and tip and roll the drum around every which way then drain it out. May have to repeat several times.
    The used petrol could be let settle so any rust and crap sinks to bottom and used in ya car or as mower fuel, or in something so it's not wasted.

Comment

Whle I agree about using petrol to help the heavy oil to come out, I don't think it should be used in a spark ignition engine except as a small proportion of the fuel used in that engine. It could be used in a veggie blend in a diesel engine at up to 20% V/V without issues at this time of year.

Regards,
      Tony
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I use methanol to clean out my drums it works well and is cheaper. Petrol $1.48/ltr Methanol $1.35/Ltr.

Daniel

Comment

Daniel,
          You could just use the drums as - is for storing the vegetable oil. The gear oil will not cause any problems and will dissolve in te veggie oil and be burned in the engine with no untoward effects.

If it had water in it or engine coolant, it would be a different story. They would need to be cleaned out thoroughly.
          Regards,
          Tony
          Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
          '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
          '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
          '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
          '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
          '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
          '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
          '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
          '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
          '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
          '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
          '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
          '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
          Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
          X