Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Methanol Prices

Good morning people,

An hour ago I had a delivery of 200Lt drum of Methanol. My last purchase (5 months ago) was at $250.00 per drum. This delivery had a price increase to $260.00 per drum. The delivery guy from CALTEX was telling me that this price is the old price and it is believed that there is a govt hike (he says excise) imminent of 35 cents more per litre. Has anyone heard of this price hike. All he could tell me was that it will apply to all new deliveries, he is not absolutely sure about the figure but that is what is being said at the depot. Be interested if anyone else has heard of this. Could be a state govt venture??? My local MP Andrew Mc Namara (yes the chairman of the fuel committee for the State Govt) in a local paper column told us that fuel will in the very near future be $2.00 / litre - So, do not be surprised. These are interesting comments made just before the announcement that he was to chair the fuel investigating committee. I wonder if this is part of the softening up of their Psychic decision making, that is to prepare us for an already pre conceived decision. Maybe they will be taking away the fuel subsidy in Queensland. Who knows??
    I have worked for various Govts for over 40 years, I dont like the feel of this at all. Then again I may be (well I know I am) becoming cynical in my old age Anyone in the know, or heard anything similar???

Dillyman
    dillyman
    Last edited by dillyman; 13 July 2006, 09:53 AM.

Re: Methanol Prices

Hi Dilly,

yes I have heard this also. My understanding what that it was going from a current excise of 19 cents per litre up to 38 cents per litre. I did post some info about this a few weeks back but noone really took it up. I guess it will start filtering through now that we are in the new financial year.

Joe
    Joe Morgan
    Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
    http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
    SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

This is part of Costello's "level playing field" fuel excise bill passed in the senate just a week or so ago.
      They made sure to vote when one of their own Barneby Joyce was in the toilet, as he wanted to cause the HooHaa of Crossing the floor.!
      And sen. Lynn Allison stood totally alone. As sen. Bob Brown was up a tree with his head in a Hollow.And some old fart from Nationals got an amendment for rebates for Diesel Toorak Tractors.!!? ?!

Comment

Hi All
        May be the time has come for all biodiesel producers like us to start recovering the methanol out of our reactions (ors) At 95% recovery the extra slug these guys are dishing out would mean very little to us
        It is after all a by product of the refining of dino fuel just like the toluene that was for years excise free for paint manufacture until such time as the "Independent" fuel resellers started dilluting ULP with it so as to increase their profits
        This is what I suspect has taken place with methanol therefore the excise
        If sufficient interest is show here in the idea above via this forum I see no reason that we connot collectively design/produce a low cost condenser that can be used to achieve that
        The price increase would then be almost irrelevant
        Cheers
        Chris
        Cheers
        Chris
        Never give up :)

Comment

Chris,
          Geewizztoo did an absolutely fantastic thread on methanol recovery. Easy to understand and with links to 'still' plans and such things from some U.S. three fingered banjo players out of deliverence. Great stuff, it's all there, go on have a look, you'll love it.
          Sheriff

Comment

hi folks
            checked methanol prices today at local mobil depot $230 for a 44 an increase of $10 from the last drum i got. Old mate told me that on the 1st July excise went up on solvents but not methanol. so I hope this clears up any misconceptions. See costello isn't so bad after all..... not.
            cheers fantom.

Comment

Hi Fantom,

My understanding from the CALTEX group is that Methanol is in the Solvents group for pricing.
              My last methanol drum I received 2 weeks ago had the $10 increase $260 instead of the earlier $250. It was on this delivery I was informed that Methanol was being classed as a Solvent at approx 35 cents increase in excise.

Who knows , ?????? I certainly don't. Perhaps it is wait and see
              Dont be surprsied if they move the goalposts again.

Dillyman

Comment

hi dillyman
                actually if ya do ya sumes a $10 increase on 200 litres is only 5cents per litre increase. the excise increase was for all petroleum based solvents and methanol is not a petroleum based solvent. i hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding of it. but it is worthwhile getting involved in methanol recovery, can cut the cost of production a bit. from 15 litres of glis i get about 4 litres of good quality methanol to use in the next batch

Comment

Fantom,

Thanks for that. The $10 increase was just a normal price hike. The extra is classed as excise and Caltex say, Methonol is to be classed as a Solvent. I might however look at some meth recovery if it doesnt take too much time. I want some life other than processing. Balance of time for me may be unacceptable.

Cheers

Dillyman

Comment

For what it is worth, I am picking up my methanol supplies at Racing Supplies (Whiteys Garage), Ph 98973148, Merrylands, Western Sydney. The cost last drum (June/July 06) was $205.00.

Cheers, Richard

Comment

For you guys in the western regions like me.

BP Distributor in St George SW Qld can get 205l of methanol for $248.66 delivered. Aug 2006 price. Not bad I thought.

Angela needs about a weeks notice to get a drum in from Toowoomba.

Mid West Petroleum 07 4625 2255.

Hope this helps some people,

Sam

Comment

G'day all
                        I buy in a small group to access a better price. We just had a delivery of Methanol [4x200L] at $266/drum. Our last three buys have been $189; $214 and now almost $270.
                        Am I getting paranoid or are we "self helpers" being taxed by the Feds for trying to do something about the environment and fuel costs ?
                        or is my lady right when she says that I'm a "grumpy old man"?

Comment

All,

Were experiecing the same issues in W.Canada on Methanol price hikes and have engaged a company to perform methanol recovery with their distillation process. Their technology can capture 99% pure methanol from natural gas drilling processes and other. If the volumes of methanol uses are large enough to warrant a full time extraction/ distillation system then this is the way to go. With Oil sands and biofuels booming across Western Canada this technology is worth the investment or rental.

Sorry for the plug but worth keeping you dated on what's what else where. I can send information if anyone's interested.

Canada

Comment

Methanol recovery systems - www.mleequipment.com

Comment

Working...
                            X