One tank SVO system (Elsbett)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One tank SVO system (Elsbett)

Hi - my first post here.. as somone with little mechanical knowhow re: converting diesel engines i am probing a little before going about converting a Ford Transit to run on SVO/WVO. I am wondering if anyones tried a conversion to a "one tank" SVO system...especially the one that German company Elsbett seems to have pioneered. (http://www.elsbett.com/). They seem pretty professional and simpler than two tank methods ive seen.
    Gavin

Re: One tank SVO system (Elsbett)

Hi Gavin,
    I agree that a single tank system appears to be a simpler and neater solution. However, the single tank Elsbett conversion kits rely on modified injectors and different (longer) glow plugs which stay on longer during startup. Also, the heating of SVO is taking place as close as possible to the injection pump.
    In a single tank system the SVO will stay in the injection pump and in the lines feeding the injectors and the injectors themselves. To my mind that still leaves the fuel components having to deal with cold SVO during the initial startup phase. While the physically longer glow plugs may well heat the cold SVO a bit more thoroughly in the pre-combustion chamber and the modified injectors may be better capable of atomising the more viscous colder SVO, all involved fuel components will, at least for a short while, be subjected to higher stresses.
    Particularly distributor type injection pumps found in modern diesel engines (Zexel, etc) would be more prone to premature failure under these conditions.
    NOT using modified injectors and longer glowplugs would leave your engine vulnerable to even more serious damage: Sticking rings, cylinder wall glazing and piston seizures due to improperly atomised SVO hitting the cylinder walls. This condition can also be caused by conventional diesel fuel in engines with faulty glowplugs and/or injectors and is one of the reasons why most diesel engines make use of pre-combustion/swirl chambers. (Direct injection engines have a deep well in the top of the piston to keep fuel away from cylinder walls.)
    Advantages of a two tank system:
    Only diesel fuel is used during the most critical startup period.
    SVO/WVO is only introduced when all components are hot, thus reducing the likelyhood of premature component failures.
    Two completely seperated fuel systems provide fault tolerance. If your WVO fuel system failes due to contamination, low temperatures, clogged filters, etc you can switch back to diesel with the flick of a switch.
    All components for a two tank conversion can be sourced by yourself. No need to purchase an (expensive?) kit.
    If you like the elegance of a single tank conversion, than you may find the idea of NOT converting your car at all even more appealing. In other words, consider BIODIESEL.
    It is not as messy and difficult as it might appear. My experience is that the most messy part is actually collecting and filtering the WVO. Which you have to do in either case!
    And finally - before you consider going ahead with the system of your choice, do a simple calculation:
    *** The WVO Cost/Benefit Calculator ***
    A = Fuel consumption (litres per 1 km)
    B = Cost of 1 litre of diesel minus cost of 1 litre of WVO
    D = Cost of WVO conversion + cost of injection pump rebuild (ask any diesel repair shop)

Calculate:
    A * B = Savings per kilometre
    D / (A*B) = Break Even (The number of kilometres your diesel engine will have to run on WVO until it will have payed for the conversion AND a pump rebuild.

Example:
    Your cars consumption is 10ltrs/100kms
    A = 0.1 litre per 1 kilometre
    B = $1.00 (diesel ~$1.20 - WVO ~$0.20 (cost of collecting and filtering))
    D = $500.00 + $1500.00 = $2000.00
    A * B = $0.10
    D / (A * B): 2000 / 0.10 = 20,000kms

Hope you got through my ramblings without falling asleep.
    Best regards,
    Olaf
    For even more see my website:
    http://www.tiemann.com.au/tiemannfamily/toyota_bj42.htm
    Peace rules the day, where reason rules the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin Farley
      Hi - my first post here.. as somone with little mechanical knowhow re: converting diesel engines i am probing a little before going about converting a Ford Transit to run on SVO/WVO. I am wondering if anyones tried a conversion to a "one tank" SVO system...especially the one that German company Elsbett seems to have pioneered. (http://www.elsbett.com/). They seem pretty professional and simpler than two tank methods ive seen.
      Gavin
      The Elsbett system is designed for the use of SVO (ie NEW Food Grade vegetable oils - or oils to the EU standard for Pure Plant Oil fuels)

The use of Used Cooking Oils is specifically recomended against by Elsbett.

Any other conversion using a one tank design is open to failures due to the use of the cold oil.

Olaf has summarised the consequences well.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hello guy's

I'm a happy user of a Peugeot 206 1.9D from 1999, now running on SVO with a Elsbett kit installed.

The Glowplugs in the kit is slightly longer, but more important they are of a more "rought" type. They are designed to run longer (witch is excactly what the electric part of the conversion kit will make them do).

The injectors are modifyed in two ways.
        1stly the injecters are changed to create a different spray in the chamber
        2ndly the presseure is raised app. 5bar to compensate for the thicker SVO

The heat exchanger are hoocked into the cabine heating system, allowing the SVO to be heated (when the engine starts to be warn)

The new filter also comes with a heater ring (sits around the filter) to warm the SVO untill the heat exchanger takes over.

All controlled with a bit of electrics and a cooleant water temperature measure.

Personally I have also installed a tigerloop, so the surplus SVO is not returned into the tank, but keept in the engine room.

My experance so far is that it can run on 100% SVO at least down to -10 degreess Celsius (but add 5-10% diesel, when temperature drops below 0 degrees Celsius, makes it more easy to start, and better to run).

Of course the SVO/WCO will put extra stress on the system (particually when cold), simply becourse it is thicker. However - some actions can be taking to counter add this.
        1) Avoid weak pumps (f.ex don't ever ever use a LUCAS/CAV)
        2) Increase the fuel-line size (I have change mine to a 10mm)
        3) Heat the stuff (my Elsbett kit takes care of this - but many other options are availeble).

Ok - this is long enought now

C U later - alligator

/DIY

Comment

Hey DIY,
          Thanks for the info. How much did your system cost you adn are you using pure or used oil?

dave

Comment

I'm planning to use one tank too using elsbett, but they neva reply my mail or answer my call. wondering how do u contact this company. And is the product i s reliable. or did u do any modification to ur engine to suit that kit, thanks.....

Comment

I'm gonna get Elsbett one tank , is there anytrhing else i should be warned of or any advice ..........

cheers ida

Originally posted by DIY
              Hello guy's

I'm a happy user of a Peugeot 206 1.9D from 1999, now running on SVO with a Elsbett kit installed.

The Glowplugs in the kit is slightly longer, but more important they are of a more "rought" type. They are designed to run longer (witch is excactly what the electric part of the conversion kit will make them do).

The injectors are modifyed in two ways.
              1stly the injecters are changed to create a different spray in the chamber
              2ndly the presseure is raised app. 5bar to compensate for the thicker SVO

The heat exchanger are hoocked into the cabine heating system, allowing the SVO to be heated (when the engine starts to be warn)

The new filter also comes with a heater ring (sits around the filter) to warm the SVO untill the heat exchanger takes over.

All controlled with a bit of electrics and a cooleant water temperature measure.

Personally I have also installed a tigerloop, so the surplus SVO is not returned into the tank, but keept in the engine room.

My experance so far is that it can run on 100% SVO at least down to -10 degreess Celsius (but add 5-10% diesel, when temperature drops below 0 degrees Celsius, makes it more easy to start, and better to run).

Of course the SVO/WCO will put extra stress on the system (particually when cold), simply becourse it is thicker. However - some actions can be taking to counter add this.
              1) Avoid weak pumps (f.ex don't ever ever use a LUCAS/CAV)
              2) Increase the fuel-line size (I have change mine to a 10mm)
              3) Heat the stuff (my Elsbett kit takes care of this - but many other options are availeble).

Ok - this is long enought now

C U later - alligator

/DIY

Comment

Working...
              X