cottonseed oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cottonseed oil

Is it true that cottonseed oil is a difficult one to process? I have a couple of drums of used cottonseed oil, and today i tried a 1 litre test batch, i used 8 grams of KOH in 200ml of methanol, mixed with the oil at around 55 degrees, gave it a good mixing.. it went very cloudy, and after about half an hour a clear layer started to appear on top, no darker glycerin layer on the bottom, just checked it again, after mabey 6 hours, still no glycerin, just a clear 10mm or so on top...
    so i dunno, i will try the same process with canola oil tomorrow, see what happens, let me know if anyone has opinions on cottonseed oil, and any problems associated with.. thanks

Re: cottonseed oil

Hello Eddie
    My experience is that cotton seed processes like any other oil.
    It does seem to require thorough washing to dry/clear in a timely fashion

Tilly

Comment

I had something like that happen too, it was used cotton seed oil and it titrated at 8 or 9, so i dont know if it is the nature of that oil or that it was over used, and i dont know if it was hydrogenated, it was a thick flowing liquid at 15 celsius.

Comment

Hi Eddie,

How did you select 8g of KOH? Did you do a titration?
        Assuming you did, then this indicates that you have very good oil as the base amount of KOH is 7g + 1g from your titration. Good quality oil like this should process OK. So the next thing to check is if the oil contains any water. Heat a SMALL amount in a fry pan and check if it spits & pops. If it does then it needs to be dried before converting into biodiesel. Use the 'Search' function to find methods of drying oil.

Comment

yea, i did a titration, but i worked on the base amount of 5 grams..? plus a titration of 3.. so, perhaps that is where i went wrong eh..?
          ill try it again with 10 grams of KOH per litre, btw, how long should i agitate the 1 litre batch, a few minutes be enough? its in a 2 litre glass bottle, so i just sorta shaked it up for a while, i thought that would be enough.. thanks for the replies ..

Comment

A titration of 3 using KOH or NaOH? Also allow for purity too.

Try using about 12grams per litre. It sounds like it might be just a lack of catalyst. Cottonseed works just fine, as it should.

Matt
            Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

titration of 3 with KOH, i didnt allow anything for purity, or lack of. It is 90% KOH, i think..so you think i should try 12 grams ? ok i will.. is there no side effects to using too much?

Comment

hi Eddie
                by my bd calculator you will require 11.1 gms of koh of the 90% variety to 1 litre of oil that tits @ 3. it will not hurt to add i bit more than that though. I have never had any problem with cottonseed oil.
                cheers fantom.

Comment

Hello Eddie

If you are doing the reaction at about 50deg C, An initial 10 second hard shake followed byfurther 10 second shakes every 10 minutes for an hour should be fine.
                  If your KOH is 90% you up the base amount to 7.7g KOH and provided you did the titration with the KOH you will use in the reaction, the titration number does not change. If in doubt use more rather than less KOH.

Tilly
                  tillyfromparadise
                  Last edited by tillyfromparadise; 23 July 2006, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Hi Guys,

All my oil supply is cottonseed. Have processed a few hundred Litres, have a stock of raw (1100 Litres) Absolutely beautiful stuff. Liquid gold for me. The recent posting about conversion rates show high conversion. I titrate at 7.8 gm standard + titration is 1.2 - 2gm. 100 lt batching. However I get my best reaction with 1kg of KOH. Absolutely sweet stuff I have modified the wash process that improves the speed of wash / dry.
                    Many variables other than the fact that it is Cotton seed. No Problemo!!!!

All depends on basically how good the oil is , its use, water content etc, etc, etc.

Go for it this particular oil works great.

Dillyman

Comment

Thank you all very much for that info, i tried another litre batch this morning with 11.5 grams of KOH, and so far all looks good, after 15 minutes that is..
                      I was just underdoing the KOH dosage evidently, so that is good to know. thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by dillyman
                        Hi Guys,

All my oil supply is cottonseed. Have processed a few hundred Litres, have a stock of raw (1100 Litres) Absolutely beautiful stuff. Liquid gold for me.
                        snip::::::::
                        Go for it this particular oil works great.

Dillyman
                        I am with you. My oil is pretty much all cotton seed oil and I have made about 1500litres with it to date.
                        The last batch which was last weekend 105litres processed titrated at .4 NaOH.
                        I do wash and wash my fuel so there maybe some truth in that it needs alot of washing/drying but it has never let me down yet.
                        HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
                        Canberra

Comment

I Have heard cottonseed is really good to make biodiesel. I have also heard it is a rare kind of oil as it will spontaneously combust!!!.
                          YEAH, a friend left an oily rag (saturated in raw cottonseed oil) on the front seat of the car on a summers day and returned to find his car full of smoke and the front seat ON FIRE!!

Eddy you are an UGLY bastard...(avatar)
                          darren leonadas
                          Last edited by darren leonadas; 26 July 2006, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Wow, spontaneous combustion! I guess it can happen to almost any oily rag given the right circumstances

(I'm sure you are referring to Eddie's Avatar picture of course...)
                            Robert.
                            Site Admin.

Comment

Has anyone use Cotton seed oil in SVO???
                              Vegetable Fuels PTY LTD

Comment

Working...
                              X