A variety of basic questions for a single tank system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A variety of basic questions for a single tank system

• Thank you for the guidance - yes I also feel I was being presumptuous.
    • A Pardon is requested!!!?
    • I was also trying to use this as a "frequently asked questions" situation - as I had researched all of the questions I have asked here (and about 3x more). I found only soft NEAR answers. This was -"Frustrating"- so I attempted to nail the answers from those who wished to reply.
    • I will post the links or the answers to each and a moderator can (if desired) place them as a reference of some sort. As these are strong questions for a single tank set up (or atleast these were the ones necessary for me).
    • How long will properly filtered oil stay useable ??
    • A temp’ of 65celcius plus at the injector is best.
    • Allowing WVO to sit for 2–3 weeks will (help) separate water.
    • White spirit (turps), acetone (paint thinners), kero, stale ULP, Bio or Dino. Are they acceptable additives. Please discuss the benefits. Of these and any useful others.
    • Are any of the above additives able to prevent WVO gumming within the cylinders.
    • Will any of these additives pull Glycerol’s out of WVO. Or are they only used as thinning.
    • Are heating elements wired to injector lines SAFE.
    • How long will the gunk inside the fuel system take to be cleaned out
    • What substances are best/worst to use Rubber, aluminium etc.
    • Has anyone found a USEFUL viscosity table indicating WVO, Diesel, ULP etc.
    • Does high acid WVO have any negative effects.
    • At what ambient temp is it advisable to start using additives.
    • How do you extend the length of time that the glow plugs are active.
    • Heres a step to the side re the alternative fuels. HHO or Browns Gas within a Diesel / wvo system. Are there any detrimental effects on the internals by HHO.
    Kegs
    Last edited by Kegs; 21 August 2008, 10:56 AM.

Re: A variety of basic questions for a single tank system

Hi Kegs,

the easiest way to answer your questions is to let you know how I found out these thing. Use the search function on this forum and read the answers.

The info that you want, is the forum. I would have to copy most of the threads/topics and put it into this post to answer your questions.

It's wasting space to repeat info that has/is already covered/provided.

God bless froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Hi ya

I figured that would be one of the answers coming my way.

I have asked these questions because they vary slightly and I am after asking the questions I haven't been able to gain after MUCH checking through this and a few other forums I have found - I have spent much time searching
      Thanks

If those who wish to - answer even one - cheers. Appreciated

Comment

Kegs,

more of the same unfortunately however sprinkled with some assistance.

The information ammased here has been aquired by one and all from the effort of countless hours of reading, searching and posting.

Coming to this forum with 0 posts and asking for the everything in one sitting is a little rude.

Based on your questions I can see however, that you have done some homework and for that you should be rewarded with some time and patience. But not the time to answer every question. I'm sure if your reasonable you understand.

So here goes.

Originally posted by kegs
        How long will properly filtered oil stay useable ??
        A temp’ of 65celcius plus at the injector is best.
        Allowing WVO to sit for 2–3 weeks will (help) separate water.
        White spirit (turps), acetone (paint thinners), kero, stale ULP, Bio or Dino. Are they acceptable additives. Please discuss the benefits. Of these and any useful others.
        Are any of the above additives able to prevent WVO gumming within the cylinders.
        Months in dark FULL inert containers.

A temp’ of well above 65celcius at the injector is best - how high, have a look at the ASSISTANCE beneath my sig block.

Allowing WVO to sit for any amount of time will help seperation. 1 week is good 1 month is better. Heat can also assist.

Dunno about the thinners except kero, bio and dino diesel - Benefits, that is your home work. Please report when you find more.

Gumming - read the posts listed below the sig block, maily heat will assist here. Cars run SVO systems and dont rely on thinners except heat. Heating to a point aids the oil passing the filter, heating to a higher point aids ignition and COMPLETE combustion, ie no gumming

I hope you take this post with the good nature in which it was intended.
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

A temp’ of 65celcius plus at the injector is best
          .....um, yep I'll run with that.

Allowing WVO to sit for 2–3 weeks will (help) separate water.
          Mmm, yes if it's above gell point.... I think separating out fats also helps.... Adding ULP makes water fall like a stone..... or drive if off with heat.

White spirit (turps), acetone (paint thinners), kero, stale ULP, Bio or Dino. Are they acceptable additives. Please discuss the benefits. Of these and any useful others. .... Various other drying methods outlined by members of this forum.
          Have tried all except white spirits & bio.
          Acetone: awesome cleaner, must use in moderation.
          ULP: Cheapest with great thinning effect. Can be used to winterize Vege. Can be used as startup fuel additive up to 25% with vege. Stale is Ok if you can find it and would be even cheaper.
          Dino: Doesnt thin vege much.

Are any of the above additives able to prevent WVO gumming within the cylinders.
          Interesting question. I've never had to do mechanical rebuild of motor or IP in the 5years of running the alternatives. I think that if the additive made the fuel less viscous and subsequently sprayed properly from the injector nozzles, then yes is could prevent gumming.

Will any of these additives pull Glycerol’s out of WVO. Or are they only used as thinning.
          Not that I've seen. Any residual fats will settle more readily though, but fat settlement was always going to happen.

Are heating elements wired to injector lines SAFE.
          Yes. Providing they are fused, relayed and triggered by the ignition circuit. This means they can only ever be on when the key is on and in addition will not overload the key switch.

What substances are best/worst to use Rubber, aluminium etc.
          Re-inforced rubber fuel hose (black) of a good quality is perfect. Modern steel tube which has some sort of alloy additive to prevent rust is good. Copper works OK, conducts heat well, corrodes with a greenish colour, though can work harden and crack. Use minimum 10mm especially in cold areas of fuel system.

Has anyone found a USEFUL viscosity table indicating WVO, Diesel, ULP etc.
          Have seen something like that for diesel and ULP . I think it was on a mobil site. Try google.

Does high acid WVO have any negative effects.
          I think I'm right in saying that it will only have a PH level if it has a water content.

At what ambient temp is it advisable to start using additives.
          Below 5.C at a guess or if vege is gelling in tank. Oils like cottonseed have a higher gellpoint.

Comment

Hi kegs,

it's not that I don't wish to answer your questions it's more about re-writing info that is already here or has already been covered.

If you have not found info that answers your questions here are some more links that may help to answer some of your questions in more depth;

Specific Gravity And Viscosity Of Liquids [viscocity charts of liquids]

Frybrid Vegetable Oil Fuel Systems -- Theory of Vegetable Oil Conversion [viscosity of wvo v's diesel v's temp]

Plantoil/diesel conversion basics [another forum with wvo basics]

FRYBRID SVO/WVO FORUM an open and public discussion of Vegetable Oil as a fuel [another forum]

Cold parts of the world use diesel/wvo blends and have been doing so for a long time. I would read more of the American forums on the subject to get some long term user solutions if this is the way you want to go.

The american named John Galt [on most forums] has been blending using a single tank in a Toyota for a long time. Search for his blends and filter system for blenders on US forums.

David from sydney blends in his merc and has been doing this for some time. Search on this forum for his work.

God bless froggo.
            HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
            Home made 2 tank system
            Blending in main diesel tank
            SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
            http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Working...
            X