Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a market/interest for this ?

Guys,

I am into microcontrollers etc and note that everyone seems to want to know the temps at various locations in their system.

I can put together a board, LCD screen and the ability to digitally monitor upto 6 points, accurate to within +-.5c with a range of -25C to 125C for around the $100 mark.

The system is programmed in a very basic (Basic) language and hence would be easy to modify yourselves if you so desired.

Is there a market for this so that i can be installed permanently in peoples cars, or do you think the combination of multimeters etc etc is doing enough ?

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Re: Is there a market/interest for this ?

Craig,
    Would this include the temperature sensors?
    Would it have memory for recording measurements?

It sounds good, but once people have settled on a system, I doubt that it would see much use.
    For people who are developing systems, I can see it having benefits to fine tuen the fuel heating for particular vehicles.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony,

Each of the digital sensors costs about $6.50. So say 4 sensors, 2 line LCD, microprocessor and it would have to be not much more than about $100.

I am not trying to make any money off this more see if there is an interest and could get something made up for the group, i would just upload the software and the details of where to buy it all from etc.

Craig

Comment

What might be of more interest, to me any way, would be the same unit set up to measure fuel tank temp, WORT temp, fuel filter temp, out side air temp (I'm in Canberra and it's winter) and engine temp.

Can you rig that up?
        Maverick
        Canberra

Comment

Craig,

I am in for two units to use in conversions "when you can have them ready"

This can be a very good option for me.

Go for it mate.
          Fitian
          <><

Comment

Craig,
            Thanks for that.
            I appreciate the effort you are putting into this, for the benefit of members of this forum.
            Have you built a prototype?
            Can we have some photos please?

Thanks,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

Would a vaccum sensor be possible to tell if filters are getting blocked?
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Captain Echidna View Post
                Would a vaccum sensor be possible to tell if filters are getting blocked?
                Yes I would be interested in that. A digital readout vacuum gauge or ideally vac/pressure. Could read positive and negative psi rather than changing units.

Comment

I have always like he idea of a device that can sense temperatures, can open and shut valves, and turn on and off pumps etc...Wirelessly if thats not too much to ask.

Is it within the reals of a person who can rig up their own biodiesel processor?

Or is this getting a bit too much to ask?
                  Joe Morgan
                  Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
                  http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
                  SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

the vaccum guage would be a different sensor and minor programming, where I think you might have blown the budget a bit there Joe.....
                    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Im currently planning my conversion and would be interested in this set up, sounds good.
                      Cheers

Comment

As this is based on a microprocessor that is fairly capable then almost anything can be done - it all just adds to the cost. Digital Vacuum gauges are expensive though (i know that for a fact)

If you wanted to get into relays etc then the cost would also go up as you need some form of opto isolation to protect the unit.

Tony, I have a prototype setup on a breadboard for testing and am working through some of the basic programming on it - initially i was going to use this for an upcoming conversion that i am planning on automating - but being new to the whole game have instead bought the vegoil unit 0 which i must say is brilliant and very smart (but also very expensive and a lot more than most people need)

I was originally gauging interest as getting a run of boards made up would need around 10 or so to make it worthwhile (i..e keep the costs down).

I might hand make a couple to throw to Fitian so he can put them through their Paces and we can then critique how they go.

The temp sensors i would usually set in Epoxy to ensure they were protected from the elements etc, this slows down their reaction time to temperature changes but makes them much more durable.

I will see what i can put together this weekend on some Veroboard and report back with some real numbers etc.

The microprocessor i am referring to is here

28 Pin PICAXE Chips

I will post some more a little later about the LCDs etc

Craig

Comment

Craig,
                          This is some of the "Cutting Edge" stuff we should be looking at on this forum.

Keep up the good work.

Regards,
                          Tony

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Originally posted by craigcurtin View Post
                            Guys,

I am into microcontrollers etc and note that everyone seems to want to know the temps at various locations in their system.

I can put together a board, LCD screen and the ability to digitally monitor upto 6 points, accurate to within +-.5c with a range of -25C to 125C for around the $100 mark.

The system is programmed in a very basic (Basic) language and hence would be easy to modify yourselves if you so desired.

Is there a market for this so that i can be installed permanently in peoples cars, or do you think the combination of multimeters etc etc is doing enough ?

Craig
                            Yep I would love one of those, as long as the screen was compact. Don't have room on my dash for big things.
                            Johnnojack
                            4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                            Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I am very interested! I was going to go this path also.
                              perhaps a little more complicated with heat control functionality also.

-David

Comment

Working...
                              X