Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of places use pure vegie oil for cooking

Hi Everybody
    I'm a newbie to biofuel . I've checked all my local fish & chip shops to see what kind of oil they use and get the same response vegie/animal fat blend or 100% animal fat .

Where can i get some pure vegie oil from?

If I went ahead and tried th 50/50 oil fat what kind of probs could i have ?

I'm very keen to be running on a non fossil fuel.

Thanks In Advance
    Marty
    marten
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by marten; 26 July 2006, 11:58 PM.

Re: What kind of places use pure vegie oil for cooking

You've come to the right, place, but I'm not the right person (don't make it myself...yet), however, I can start you with some answers and I'm sure some others will finish off better than me.

Why not just try making a test batch with some pure new oil from your supermarket to start with, get the feel for it that way, then you can compare your results with the used stuff from your local takeaway. Animal fat is OK too, it can give you more power in the fuel, but is more likely to gel (freeze easily) in the cold weather.

Search for the term "dr pepper" there will be folks talking about this lots in here with a link to another forum which has instructions - it's basically making your own small test batch in a soft-drink bottle (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I think you'll be able to tell after you've made some test batches how well the different oils will convert to biodiesel.

One day we will get our **** together enough to organise some workshops like our mates in Brisbane and Melbourne do currently. That might help new starters like yourself, but there are a few folk working towards doing this in Sydney one day. In the mean time, hang around in here and make some bio in your garage (safely - read & heed the warnings on safety please!). I'm sure if you need a hand this biodiesel web community here will help you and perhaps you will be able to find other people nearby you who you can contact with private messages who may be able to assist.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Robert
      Thanks for the tips

I've already had a play with some new cooking oil with success but 2 litres isn't a worthwhile amount to go putting in your tank.

The reason i was asking about the difficulties using 50/50 oil fat is because i have found a shop that can give me roughly 200 to 300 litres a month.

Ive got 2 44 gallon mixing setups ready to rock but i dont want to take 200 litres of 50/50 and have to find a way to get rid of it because its to hard to treat

Thanks
      Marty

Comment

Martin i thought i was on to a good source of oil, but it was bad oil and what i will do next time is try to get a sample of oil take it home and titrate it to see how good or how bad the oil is, then i only make a commitment to outlets that have oil that is worth doing.

Comment

good thinking 99 i'll go and get a sample tomorrow and see how it goes.

But what sort of food shops use 100% cooking oil

Comment

Marten,
            Dodge has given good advice. Take a sample and titrate it to see how good or bad it is.

Providing you have oil which titrates less then 3 (5 for KOH), you should be able to make biodiesel which has a Melting Point below 5°C with the oil you have. Some of the biodiesel will solidify at a higher temperature, but will settle to the bottom of your storage container (given time). If you need to use it as fast as you can make it, you can use a filter to separate the high MP biodiesel from the liquid biodiesel. The solid biodiesel can be kept for summer as it will melt at the spring ambient temperatures.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Marten, I support both the posts of Dodge and Tony. Titrate that oil first!

Virtually everyone that begins making homemade biodiesel gets some real bad oil when they start. It doesn't take them long before they become 'connoisseurs' of fine WVO.

I prefer the oil from Asian restaurants as it usually is made of soy bean oil. They also tend to change the oil more often than a corner chip shop. But don't tell anyone I told you, its getting harder to find.

Comment

CRASH AND BURN!!!!!!!!!!!!

I gotta tell ya, I have been looking around for WVO in take away food shops to see if i can get a constant supply before i invest in The "Tools". It is almost impossble to get any shop to commit to supplying any oil. They have all told me that a "company" picks up the oil and they are not allowed to give it away. At first i said yeah yeah, but after 10 shops it appears this "company" has all bases covered.

It almost to good to be true that you can make your own fuel. Finding the raw materials is proving difficult enough.

Ill keep trying though, man on a mission.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                X