If you won the lottery.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you won the lottery.....

... would you still make bio/WVO for your car?

Just a philosophical question I thought would be interesting to get people's input on. i.e. if you won big time (enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life) would you still do it?

I was thinking about this a bit last night, and for me it's not such a simple question, but being perfectly honest I suspect it would be "No". So I suppose that shows my true colours - I'm in it for financial reasons first, environmental second.

So if you say you are doing it for environmental reasons, the answer should be "Yes". But have a think about it and see what you come up with. Also consider whether you would buy a big new car, house, boat etc, and if you would consider the environmental impact if you did.
    Yes
    76.47%
    No
    11.76%
    N/A (I don't make my own fuel)
    11.76%
    Sean

Re: If you won the lottery.....

I may pay someone to collect it for me though.
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

I would start a giant fish and chips shop.
      Feed the poor and homeless. Then use the oil for fuel.

and will give you some oil Sean.

cheers
      Fitian
      <><

Comment

I'd certainly keep making my own and I would build a processor and get the locale farmers to grow seed crops, then supply them and the area with fuel. It would improve our economy revitalise farms, create jobs and improve the environment. From there we would expand and set up a electric generation system of wind, solar towers, Stirling engines and tidal to provide the local area with reliable cheap power.

Sounds grandiose, but I believe in being responsible for my life and the future. As we live on a Peninsula and most of our economy revolves around farming and fishing, we would be able to provide a better standard of living, lower costs and a vibrant community. If farmers pay virtually nothing for their fuel, then the cost of the commodities drop and allows others to benefit as well. It would be easy to produce SVO for very low cost to farms and transport and BD for less than a dollar a litre to the fishing industry and cars, as most would probably not want to convert to straight oil.

Anyone want to invest in a fool proof way to make a lot of money, then that's the way to go as there are many seed oil crops which can easily be grown in our changing climate, where others no longer survive to supply local communities.

Comment

I would probably buy a VW with the engine similar to the first elsbett engine (direct injection at high pressure into a combustion chamber in the top of the piston) and see how long it lasts without modification.

Probably that and buy "steves fat feed company" and change a few things.....
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones
            Oh, I'd probably have to buy the Mrs a new Diesel Car so she could use all this veg fuel in doing the shopping and taking the kids to their weekend sporting games Etc.
            I think something like this would be OK.....
            That counts as a normal family car in the US! Now wonder they need to make biodiesel on this scale!
            Sean

Comment

I now understand why Americans have so much deep fried fatty food, and are encouraged to eat it.
              Its to keep up with biodiesel demand.

Dave, I dont think anyone really cares why people use biofuels, but are happy they do. I know I once had a fuel paid trip to Adelaide (800 K round trip) but couldnt bring myself to use fossil fuel, even though it was paid for.
              Hey if you are only doing it for the money, thats ok. After all its the same end result.

Perhaps we need more people like (the bloke in Sydney) I bought fuel from when there. Makes green transport easy for people who want to be green, also makes cheap thransport from those who want to be cheap, I mean save money.

What was the "car"? the "international phallus" It looks like a semi with a trayback put on it. Probably a good reason for that....

(if you say "whats a phallus" and google it, dont have small children behind you when you do. even wikipedia may take some explaining)
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

If i won the lotto big time. i would still make bio just a BIT differant. i would pay (a modest salary) my good friend david to collect the stuff and find new sources (scanline and ozcol only). Wayne would be offered a modest salary too to design and build "The Ultimate" processor for 5000 litres per day. Thats enough to help all the farmers and friends i personally know. they would of course get it at cost.
                i personally love the satisfaction of making something from waste (and hourding crap) so i don't think i'll ever give up the game its too much fun almost as good as fishing.
                Fair call for people that say they couldn't be bothered if money wasn't the decider. Thats your perogative and don't be ashamed of that.
                Cheers Nick.
                Cheers
                Nick.
                Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                sigpic

Comment

I'm actually surprised at the results of the poll so far. Only one person (other than myself) would actually give it up?!

I admit I have been bitten by the bug and I thoroughly enjoy making my own fuel. I find it very satisfying, and now that I've started it I would find it difficult to give up, unless my circumstances changed significantly. And that's what winning the lotto would do I suspect.

I can't say I do it entirely for financial reasons, as has been discussed before if we properly accounted for our own time it would probably work out to be $5/litre. And even though I admit that environmentalism comes second for me I still think I'm more environmentally conscious than the majority of the population (although not necessarily the people here) - e.g. I installed solar hot water on my house a few months ago.

However if the money saving was taken out of the equation altogether (which if you are wealthy enough it becomes insignificant) then it would probably tip the balance against it.

Or to put it another way, if making my own fuel cost the same as buying it would I still do it? I don't think so.
                  Sean

Comment

Hi everyone,

if I won the lottery I would be very suprised since I don't buy a ticket.

This gives me more money each week for liquid refreshments while playing with my wvo in the shed.

God bless froggo.
                    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
                    Home made 2 tank system
                    Blending in main diesel tank
                    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
                    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

Originally posted by froggo View Post
                      Hi everyone,

This gives me more money each week for liquid refreshments while playing with my wvo in the shed.

God bless froggo.

Good on you bro.
                      Fitian
                      <><

Comment

Originally posted by pangit View Post
                        ... would you still make bio/WVO for your car?
                        Just a philosophical question I thought would be interesting to get people's input on. i.e. if you won big time (enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life) would you still do it?
                        I'm with froggo here, I don't buy the ticket. However if i suddenly and unexpectedly came into such money that I could 'live comfortably for the rest of my life', I would be too busy spending to have time to make fuel.
                        I am convinced that the planet is doomed due to overpopulation and anything we do for the environment is re-arranging the deckchairs on the Titanic.
                        Still I am hopeful and do what I can so I am pleased that I can divert some of my time and effort into making a more environmentally friendly fuel, despite the fact that that same time and effort could be put into paid work to make more than enough to pay for fuel.
                        BTW we installed a solar hot water system in 1984 despite the prediction that the electricity savings would never cover the cost (it did, the system was still going strong when we sold the house in 2007).
                        I don't like diesel and of choice would always use a petrol engine.
                        I only went diesel because I heard I could run it on veg.
                        If I had such a supply of cash I would get a vehicle like this:

and have my 'dream camper' built on the back and pay for the veg to run it.
                        Then I'd be off round Oz (including Tas) and when I'd seen all that I wanted to I'd ship it to NZ and do the same there.

Anyway, nice dream but it ain't going to happen so I'll keep working and collecting and filtering and developing the troopy into the vehicle I want it to be and do it a bit at a time - central aust first, wanna do that WVO pickup at Uluru.
                        pangit
                        Last edited by pangit; 1 September 2008, 12:45 PM. Reason: Edit image code

Comment

troopy your last posts seems to serverely contradict many of your earlier ones. Mainly your previous pro enviro stance vs you now money can't be bothered stance. I just gotta say: What the?????????????
                          Cheers
                          Nick.
                          Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by froggo View Post
                            Hi everyone,

God bless froggo.
                            Neither do I. It's a mug's game if you ask me, as is any form of gambling. I was just using it to set up the scenario for discussion. I could just as well have said "if you inherited millions from a long lost uncle...." or something!
                            Sean

Comment

I would however do WVO - does that count - For me it's not solely the financial benefit - it's ALL the benefits that WVO provides. The world will recover quicker if we change our thinking. Even just a little. Our neck of the woods will at least smell a bit better.........

KEGS

Comment

Working...
                              X