• Biodiesel Novice needs help

Hi, I have just started looking into making my own Bio Diesel & I'm reading
    everything I can lay my hands on, but still have questions that I'm sure
    someone out there can help me with.
    1. Should I purchase one of the books that seem to be on sale at some
    of these sites.
    2. I enquired about Methanol from one source & he said he's Methanol
    was 99% pure & 1% anti corrosive agent, is this good enough or should
    I chase 100% pure or is this the same thing?
    3. If I purchase a 200L drum of Methanol whats the easiest & cheapest (safe) method to extract it from the drum.
    4. Is it necessary or does it help to heat the oil before adding the blended
    Methoxide & how critical is the temp. I sort of figure if the oil is hot the
    Methanol will start to evaporate.
    5. If making large quantities e.g. 40L plus this is a bit much for a hand drill, what are other people using?
    6. I'm at Campbelltown (dont hold that against me) Is there anywhere local to obtain the raw materials.
    Also any Advice would be appreciated
    Thanks Michael

Re: Biodiesel Novice needs help

Hello Michael

A Few Thoughts:

1. I have neve seen any of the books so can not advise.

2. the 99% should be fine. However, it is possible that this is "Racing Fuel" and may be more expensive than the regular old 100% variety.

3. Easiest= syphon. Safest= hand pump

4. It is not critical to heat the oil. It is nice though. The reaction takes 1 hour to reach completion at 50deg C. For every 10deg cooler, the reaction time doubles.
    At 30deg C it takes about 4 hours.

5. A $25 hand drill with the Archemedies screw type paint/plaster mixer available for $2 at silly sollies is fine for mixing 100 litre batches.

6. I will not hold that against you.

For you first few mini batches of biodiesel you can not beat the World Famous Dr Pepper TRechnique (Pat Pend)

Tilly

Comment

In terms of books, I've heard this (bear in mind that I've not made any myself, I just hear from folk who do):

1. From the Fryer to the Fuel Tank by Joshua Tickell is an excellent book for beginners (I got a copy myself), but I am told the info in it is a few years out of date and there are now much better ways of doing it than are described in this book (same with the journeytoforever website).

2. Paul Martin, one of the prominent biodiesel dudes in the Melbourne Scene has written his own book which I hear is quite good (but I'd be keen for people to also give their opinions in here too). You can find it at http://www.grownfuel.com/diy/diy.htm

Hope that helps.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Tilly & Robert,
        Thanks for your advice I appreciate it, the last thing I want is 40L plus
        of something I dont know what to do with. It will give the Wife an excuse
        to put me on the end of a Lawn Mower or Broom etc.
        one more questions
        Scales, any suggestions - I tried Jayco & it appears for something accurate e.g .1 g, $179 is this average.
        Also do you check the PH of your batches, is it advisable & if its out
        e.g. too high do you lower it with Vinegar.
        Thanks Michael

Comment

Hello Michael,
          Just a few more thoughts.

I have never read the Tickell book, but people who are knowledgeable about home production of biodiesel who have read the book advise that it is out of date and contains lots of inaccurate information which Tickell chooses to leave in even in the newest editions.
          Exerpts from the book that I have read suggest this is a fair assessment of the Tickell book and I strongly recommend you look elswhere for your information.

The biodiesel information on the Journey to Forever site is hopelessly out of date and inaccurate. A number of their recommended procedures appear to have been taken straight out of a Voodoo Book.
          This photo of Midori Is about the only thing I can recommend on the whole website. Otherwise, stay far far away.

For the most current, up to date information regarding the home production of biodiesel I recommend you look at the Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

For the easiest method of making your first few mini-batches of biodiesel you can not beat the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)

Tilly

Comment

Good advice from someone who knows. I hear that they make the finest biodiesel in ลึก ประเทศอินเด& and certainly more than me. Good pointers and thanks for pointing the novices in the right direction.
            Robert.
            Site Admin.

Comment

For a cheaper set of scales look at eBAY for them, they can be bought for a lot less than Jaycar. I know from experience.

Matt
              Biodiesel Bandit

Landcruiser '98 80 series B100.

Comment

Just a bit more info.

Tandy has electronic scales for under $100 that are accurate to 0.1g, and measure to 500g MAX.

All I used for production batches was a set of simple balance scales like they use in primary school classrooms.
                I had two identical containers, one on each side. If I needed 453g of NaOH I added 453ml of water to one side and then added NaOH to the other side until balanced.

pH is only meaningful with aqueous solutions. Biodiesel is an oil so pH has no meaning.
                It is not advisable to add acid to the wash, this will convert soap back into FFA's which is not desireable.

Tilly

Comment

michael we got our scales digital ones from Kmart for 29.00 dollars 1 gram to 2 kilos accurate

Comment

Michael,
                    I bought digital scales on Ebay. Up to 5kgs max down to 0.1gm weight. Much cheaper I found than all the local electronic stores.. Have 3 switchable calibrations, most handy of all, they have a zero function allowing you to put your beaker? or whatever on the scale and weigh the calalyst and nothing else. I would not do without them

LOL

Dillyman

Comment

Thanks for the reply's, but it seems the more into this I go the more questions it generates. Does the Diesel need to be 100% perfect,
                      e.g. No water in it, no left overs etc.. Also when you add the methanol
                      can I mix the required amount of pot ash to say 10 liters then add any extra methanol required straight into the oil from say another container?
                      If the oil has been filtered before hand is it necessary to filter it again
                      at the end of the process, also how fine do you filter?
                      One of the articles I read suggested after Titrating the oil do a couple of
                      test batches & vary the Lye .2 either side of the test results, if I do this
                      how do I judge which is the best result?
                      Thanks & Regards
                      Michael

Comment

Hello Michael, I have provided some of my observationa and thoughts below.
                        Does the Diesel need to be 100% perfect, e.g. No water in it, no left overs etc.
                        The Biodiesel should be crystal clear at the lowest temp it is likely to experience. There shoould be no obvious "Crap" in it when it goes in the tank

Also when you add the methanol can I mix the required amount of pot ash to say 10 liters then add any extra methanol required straight into the oil from say another container?
                        It depends on how you mix the biodiesel. If you use a drill with paint mixer the answer is yes.
                        If you use a pump mixer like used with an appleseed reactor then the answer is no.

If the oil has been filtered before hand is it necessary to filter it again
                        at the end of the process, also how fine do you filter?
                        The only filtering I did during production was to pour excessivly dirty oil through a fly screen. Washing removes virtually any remaining contaminates.
                        I did put a $2 see-through plastic inline fuel filter available at Super Cheap Autos in the fuel line just prior to the main fuel filter. I replaced it every 2 months.

One of the articles I read suggested after Titrating the oil do a couple of
                        test batches & vary the Lye .2 either side of the test results, if I do this
                        how do I judge which is the best result?
                        Varying the NaOH amount by 0.2g is pretty insignificant. The short answer is you can not tell the quality of the biodiesel produced by visual inspection.
                        If in doubt use more rather than less NaOH if you wish to achieve high conversion biodiesel.

Tilly

Comment

Tilly,
                          Apart from Visual inspection (the oil is crystal clear at room temp), is there
                          any other way of testing your oil or are you pretty safe?
                          thanks
                          Michael

Comment

Hello Michael
                            It depends on which quality you are testing and what car you have.

The quality most people are concerned with appears to be:
                            1. Cloudpoint. Check it in a fridge with a thermometer
                            2. Conversion. Use the Warnqvest Conversion test

Tilly

Comment

Tilly,
                              Thanks will try, I'm nearly ready to experiment. Will let you know how
                              it goes.
                              Thanks & regards
                              Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X