Internal IP pressure test gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal IP pressure test gauge

I've often wondered if a pressure gauge reading the internal IP pressure would be a worthwhile thing to know. I reason that it could be fitted under the return banjo with special adaptor. Has anyone had similar thoughts, done this or recorded readings?

Re: Internal IP pressure test gauge

Originally posted by tbird650 View Post
    I've often wondered if a pressure gauge reading the internal IP pressure would be a worthwhile thing to know. I reason that it could be fitted under the return banjo with special adaptor. Has anyone had similar thoughts, done this or recorded readings?
    Absolutely Tbird it would be a worthwhile thing to know. Like how much does the pressure change from diesel to WVO? The pressure gauge pickup needs to come from inside the pump so the line needs to enter not actually under the banjo bolt but through it. See link below to a thread on the VW forum discussing how it is done. It's a bit tricky and would need some good engineering skills. I would like to have go at it but think it would be good insurance to first buy a new outlet banjo, fit it, and then modify the old one

VWDieselParts.com :: View topic - internal injection pump pressure
    Johnnojack
    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

not actually under the banjo bolt but through it.
      Yes, quite right. It needs to register the pressure of the IP and still have the proper banjo-bolt screwed into the "adaptor". Funnily enough I was perusing that very page on the VW site yesterday!
      I liked the idea of the grease-gun hose to connect the gauge. Seems the pressure is somewhere around 100 - 150ish, so needs something that won't soften, melt or otherwise fail.
      The pedestal bolt I like the look of is as below. The male thread on the left screws into the IP, while the original banjo bolt screws into the female thread on the extreme right. The brass fitting runs to the gauge. With this set up, no modifying original fittings is necessary.

When I get a minute, I will have a crack at this. I have a spare IP on the shelf so can do the leg work first, then swap it out.
      The stock spec for pressure would be good to know and I don't have it. Google can't find it either. Mine is a Hiace 5L 3Litre '98 should any reader have the info, thanks.

Comment

Looks good, do you have that fitting or is just a picture of one at the moment? Yes I want one.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Looks good, do you have that fitting or is just a picture of one at the moment? Yes I want one.
          I had a look in my box of tricks but that fitting is obviously metric I believe.
          Almost everything I have is BSP, imperial.
          That pic came from the VW web pages.
          May make one, but might check a few junk yards out first.

Comment

May make one, but might check a few junk yards out first.
            It's proving a bit difficult to find fittings with this thread, especially female. It's 12mm x 1.5mm. I'll keep trying. Something will turn up or I'll make one on the lathe.

Comment

It's proving a bit difficult to find fittings with this thread, especially female. It's 12mm x 1.5mm. I'll keep trying. Something will turn up or I'll make one on the lathe.
              The thread could be a bolt thread, have you checked that out or just fittings? I found a wheel nut which mine screwed into
              Johnnojack

Comment

Yes in the 70's Nissan wheel nuts were 12 x 1.25 and Mitsubishi used 12 x 1.5

Comment

Originally posted by 98troopy View Post
                  Yes in the 70's Nissan wheel nuts were 12 x 1.25 and Mitsubishi used 12 x 1.5
                  Thanks Troopy looks like a trip to 'U pull it' to find a wheel nut and stud. Will I need an angle grinder or just a big hammer?
                  Johnnojack

Comment

Have found a new nut with correct 1.5 thread which I could use. A friend is fairly confident of finding a tap. Also found a IP banjo bolt which I could possibly use as the donor for the male.
                    The wheel stud idea is a good tip too and have lathe in the shed.
                    I have a metre length of high pressure grease line with fittings on it.
                    A gauge is something I might have to look for. Any idea on PSI range of a typical IP? Am thinking 150ish?
                    Next week something might show up.

Comment

Have found a new nut with correct 1.5 thread which I could use. A friend is fairly confident of finding a tap. Also found a IP banjo bolt which I could possibly use as the donor for the male.
                      The wheel stud idea is a good tip too and have lathe in the shed.
                      I have a metre length of high pressure grease line with fittings on it.
                      A gauge is something I might have to look for. Any idea on PSI range of a typical IP? Am thinking 150ish?
                      Next week something might show up.
                      Hmmm a lathe, I'm jealous. Re pressure I think it may be much lower than that. About 70psi or something, probably read it on the VW forum. Good luck with it, keep us posted.
                      Johnnojack

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
                        Thanks Troopy looks like a trip to 'U pull it' to find a wheel nut and stud. Will I need an angle grinder or just a big hammer?
                        \
                        Just a big hammer, the studs are pressed into the hub/axle/rotor.

Comment

About 70psi
                          Well that would make it easy, I could use the old 100psi oil pressure gauge I have. It's got 1/8bsp fitting but regrettably the old "remote grease line" I have isn't. Will get it sorted during the week ahead.

Comment

I got the adaptor finished today and run an old remote grease line to a gauge. What a mission getting to the return banjo!
                            Next thing was the old grease in the line. The pressure wasn't enough to push it out....eventually got it clear.
                            Top pressure recorded so far is 40psi, with idle 15-20. I think it will be a permanent fixture due to the difficulty with the access.
                            So, anyway I will test over the next few days...

Comment

Excellent I'd really love to know if the pressure changes when you switch to vege oil. Can you note the temperature of the vege at the same time when reading the pressure if that is possible.
                              Johnnojack

Comment

Working...
                              X