Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Landcruiser project

hi
    you have been a great help so far i have just read most of your posts and they are very informative
    i have a landcruiser 1989 similar to the one in your profile picture.
    i am in the initial mind making stage of converting my cruiser to run on used vegetable oil..
    it has already don 150,000 kms and the engine is a bit worn down so i though before getting the engine revamped i would convert it to wvo and see ho it goes i just need a few starting pointers from you

1) how do i filter the used oil i mean do i just need to pass it through the couple of layers of cloth or is theire a better way of getting it done i am looking for the cheapest method that i can use

2) the temperature in Pakistan is very hot it is usually around +35C so can i use the oil directly in the tank and if yes what percentage of oil can i mix with diesel.

3) i have heard of the electric preheating of the oil is it required for the land cruiser engine especially when the tempretures in my country is high.

plus any other tips you wana give please do reply
    thanks

Re: New Landcruiser project

Hi ahsaniqbal007,

welcome to the forum. You have a good vehicle to run on wvo.

Tim-HJ61 as you say has a close match to your vehicle so his thread will contain much info that you require.

As for filtering the wvo you will need to set up a system to filter your wvo to at least 5micron.

Here is a link on how to filter your oil
    Dewatering and Cleaning VO with Upflow Settling - Topic Powered by eve community

God bless froggo.
    HJ45 Landcruiser Troopy
    Home made 2 tank system
    Blending in main diesel tank
    SVO/WVO Converted 18/01/08
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_users/3667-hj45_troopy_conversion.html

Comment

thanks for the information
      i am looking for a step by step bigners guide to convert your engine because mist of the people do want to convert but they are not sure how to
      so is there a stright forward guide out there
      if not the senior members should put out suchj a thing so that the new mwmbers dont have to ask the same questioning again.
      thanks

Comment

And there's no beating the old 'trial and error' method. This way you get something that works specifically for you, your vehicle, and your climate.

FYI I live in a tropical area, and am running on SVO without any conversion as of yet. It is very hard to start, but once started for the day, it will start again with no problems. If I were you I would start blending until you are happy with the result.

Comment

Agree with troppo

Try a few trials first to get a feel for it.

1. Make sure you get the filtration correct (plenty of info in here)
          2. Make up a few batchs eg 10% oil 90% diesel and so on
          3. Run vehicle until youare awrae of changes eg bit harder to start and that may well be the best blend for your area at that time.

Once you become more confident look at heat exchangers or straight oil conversions and other filtering methods.

I found initially it was a matter of gaining confidence in what I was doing to my vehicle - once I got that bit it was pretty straightforward.

A few searches in here will get just about all the info you need

Geoff
          Telegraph Point NSW
          Landcruiser GXL '96 - 80:20 blends
          Pug 1.6 HDi - 308 Touring Wagon - definitely not game :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ahsaniqbal007 View Post
            thanks for the information
            i am looking for a step by step bigners guide to convert your engine because mist of the people do want to convert but they are not sure how to
            so is there a stright forward guide out there
            if not the senior members should put out suchj a thing so that the new mwmbers dont have to ask the same questioning again.
            thanks
            I don't respond well when I am told what I SHOULD do.

There is a FAQ at the top of the forum. All newbies need to be directed to it and it's actually not helpful to anyone for experienced members to be replying to postings that pose questions addressed in the FAQ.

I created this to assist new comers with some of the fundamentals. There are links included in the FAQ that direct people to expanded discussion of the key principles and more creative solutions. The FAQ can be improved, when I get around to it and people tell me what else they would like to see in it.

What we do is confusing to everyone who has not done it.
            What we do is easy once you do it.

The step between Point A and Point B is your journey. We cannot make it for you.

You need to source your materials.
            You need to develop your home filtering systems to suit your own requirements
            You need to source your components to modify your car
            You need to learn about your engine and vehicle.

I think I am repeating what I have written in the FAQ - but what you are doing is taking risks and using the vehicle in a way not intended by the manufacturer. If you do not have the capacity or willingness to make the step from Point A to Point B, nor the capacity to source and develop your components, then you really need to consider whether this is for you. If you like a challenge, go ahead.

Sorry to be blunt, but that's how I see it.

Tim
            Tim-HJ61
            Donating Member
            Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 26 September 2008, 10:22 AM. Reason: Added posting I was responding to
            Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
            12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
            Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
            Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
            Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Very well put Tim. You have done a great job of putting together the FAQ.
              We should not be answering any questions initially but just directing all to the FAQ first.
              "Read the stickies, follow the links then ask informed questions - we have already done the work for you but you need to do a little research for yourself - it's all here."

Comment

yes I would agree. As a new 'convert' to SVO the best part has been the experimenting and making little 'discoveries' on my own. This forum is an excellent resource, and provided me with great ideas which I was able to take away and try with my own slant.
                Maybe it's just me, but I would much rather discover things for myself (with a little help!) than be spoonfed stuff like an infant. Man's eternal quest for discovery?

Comment

Working...
                X