Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about to get ready to switch from WVO to BD...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about to get ready to switch from WVO to BD...

Ive just about finished rebuilding the old SIII rover donk that Ive abused for about 9 months on WVO. Since my TD5'd defer is just about out of warrenty and the price of fuel is just about getting rediculous Im just about set for doing up BD. Im fairly certain that as the TD5 is a lot less agricultural than my almost prehistoric desiel it wont appreciate my home brewed preheaters and the seriously gunky crud I was running in the old one..

Im now in the Albury Wodonga area and have found a few shops that are willing to let me have about 20l of waste oil a week, Ive found methanol but im having no joy finding a local supplier of KOH or Naoh I can find stuff in hardware stores that approach 70% pure but im not satisfied that that will do the trick, especially once i step up to 10-20l batches when I build up a processor.

so my questions

Any ideas on local chemical suppliers in the Albury wodonga area?

Are there any blindingly obvious pitfalls in the DR Pepper method? (im thinking along the lines of the "Foolproof" methods poor seperation and conversion with "bad" oil)

What do people do with the waste products, especially the glycerol and the first wash water?

Given that I eventually expect to be processing a little over 40l a week (thats about my average consumption) what are average processing times for that quantity?

For those who are interested.
    After about 22k km on only heavily filtered and dewatered WCO and WVO in mainly tropical conditions the only problems with my 78 rovers diesel (only found from the rebuild) was a clogging of the smaller starting nozzle on 2 of the injectors (pintaux type) and some whitish snot like goop in the houseing of the CAV pump.

Both of these things I attribute more to the fact that for the last 2 months of running the vehicle was used in a cooler environment so my pre heating setup was woefully inadequte (theres an outline in my post in one of the preheating threads) and that it only did short runs and never really got up to a decent operating temperature.

Dave

"In a Landrover the other vehicle is your crumple zone."

Re: about to get ready to switch from WVO to BD...

Hello Dave

When I was making biodiesel, I was able to get 4kg 100% NaOH at Mitre 10 for $20. I don't if it was available on the Mitre 10 Catalogue.
    I could get 20kg at the local cleaning supply shop for about $ 50 and If I travelled to Gamorah I could get 25kg KOH for $75 at a cleaning supply shop.

Pitfalls with the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)!?
    I'll have to double your royalties payment if you keep talking like that!

It is a good idea to do a titration before making biodiesel.
    For the easiest method of titrating you can not beat the World Famous Chopstick Titration technique (Pat Pend)

Tests have shown that if you perform the reaction at 50deg C it takes about an hour for the reaction to reach completion after all the methanol has been mixed and the oil has undergone it's increase and sudden decrease in viscosity. This occures virtually instantanously with the World Famous Dr Pepper Technique (Pat Pend)
    That means that you will need to remix at least every 10- 15 minutes for an hour after this occures.
    Then it is up to you how you finish it.

Thank you for your information regarding your experiences using SVO to fuel your engine.

Tilly
    Last edited by joe; 16 February 2024, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X