Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Closed System and Drill

Hi,

I have some questions if anyone could help me please.

I have made up a small system from a 60litre drum on top of a conical base. The design I have in mind was for a closed system (ie leaving the top of the drum in place). I want to add the oil to the processor through the standard drum screw lid hole, heat the oil, open the screw lid and add the methoxide, close the lid and mix.

Before I welded the base on, I put a mixing blade on the end of a length of 6mm rod which protrudes through the top of the drum and through a 40mm block of wood screwed to the top. The wood acts as a sort of bearing and hopefully seals the unit.

My questions are:

1. Can I use an electric drill 15 cm above the wood to drive the internal propellor? What are the risks at this distance? Otherwise I will have to attach a small pulley and drive it via another (induction) motor? I don't have an air compressor.

2. Is there any pressure build up in mixing the oil and methoxide and if so, Should I put a vent hose in the screw cap (venting outdoors)?

3. Are there any problems you know of with a closed system like this?

4. Can you do a wash in the processing unit rather than transferring the BD to another vessel?

Anyone's thought would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

Re: Closed System and Drill

Take a look at a cheap drill press from China. The kind that are small enough to sit on your bench. They have pullies and can be set up for various speeds. The bearing systems are fairly robust. They already have a mounting system and, of course, it is run by an induction motor.

Comment

Re: Closed System and Drill

The bench drill is a great idea. Are you sure they are brushless?

Does anyone have an opinion about washing in cone bottom processing tanks?

Is there a pressure build up during mixing? Do I need to vent?

Comment

Working...
      X