landcruiser 84000k on wvo several probs solved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• landcruiser 84000k on wvo several probs solved

placed 10ltr plastic jerry can in space in engine bay,[plan to relocate 20ltr to rear door opp. spare tyre wiyh flexable hose to allow door to open]this is my start up tank for dino diesel, plumbed it in with a couple of old lpg solenoids from the wrecker. theres no fuel return to the tank on this model so no 6 way ports needed etc.
    replaced fuel line between lift pump & fuel filter with copper pipe inside copper pipe with reducers & tees etc making heat exchange useing coolant
    had some start up probs if i hadnt purged wvo enough before shutdown
    added glow plug overide. From battrey to PUSH BUTTON [not on off switch] to glow plug bridgeing strap. i use it in times of trouble and standard start up proceedure on frosty mornings.After the glow plug light goes out i imeadiatly hit the push button and starter simultaneously. [mounted on the left side of stearing columb]
    i extended the air intake to the front of the car ,comes out next to the indicator.Cruising down the highway i prob. get 1/2 psi boost.NO power increas as its the same amount of fuel going in but an extra 5% of air giving a higher compression higher temp more 02 better burn
    next time your sitting on 110ks put your hand out the window feel it push on your palm [a turbo that never needs any maintenane,free too.]
    ill post this incase i loose it again.next thread filter and transfer etc.

Re: landcruiser 84000k on wvo several probs solved

Hi,

Re your 10 litre plastic drum under the bonnet.

Is it big enough to be a useful start up tank?
    How many start ups and shut downs do you get?

How do you reconcile having plastic under the bonnet safety wise? do you have heat shields or do you find it doesn't get that hot. Do you fill the tank in the car at the bowser?

Ta
    Tim with a 60 series.
    Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
    12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
    Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
    Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
    Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
      Hi,

Re your 10 litre plastic drum under the bonnet.

Is it big enough to be a useful start up tank?
      How many start ups and shut downs do you get?

How do you reconcile having plastic under the bonnet safety wise? do you have heat shields or do you find it doesn't get that hot. Do you fill the tank in the car at the bowser?

Ta
      Tim with a 60 series.
      Hello Tim,

I use a 20 litre plastic aux tank in the boot, but always fill up only with 10 litres. They are good for 3 weeks or so, starting the car everyday.
      My HE is after the engine thermostat, so I have to wait until it opens before switching to oil. I am now working on a new HE which uses the heater water, not subjected to any thermostats. This will allow a quicker switch over to oil, which in turn will extend the autonomy of the aux tank.

Regards
      gonzalo

Comment

Thanks Gonzalo,

Sorry I'm not clear on what your fuel use is. Are you saying that 10 litres last you three weeks or so?

Tim
        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim-HJ61 View Post
          Thanks Gonzalo,

Sorry I'm not clear on what your fuel use is. Are you saying that 10 litres last you three weeks or so?

Tim
          Hi Tim,

10 litres of diesel fuel last me 3 weeks when I use it daily only to heat up the engine before reverting to the veggie.

Regards
          gonzalo

Comment

Thanks Gonzalo,

That's good news for me. I've been looking at a 10l steel jerry can under the bonnet as a start up shut down tank, and have been wondering if it is going to be enough capacity. I have enough room to have a tank built that might hold 14l and would have gone to the trouble of doing so if 10l was not going to last very long.

From what you are saying 10l should be pretty functional and I'd be needing to fill the start up tank less frequently than the vege tanks.

Thanks for clarifying.

Tim

Comment

Working...
            X