Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who really invented the Diesel Engine

Originally posted by Robert
    When Rudolf Diesel first demonstrated his engine running in 1900, it was on peanut oil.
    Sorry but everyone is wrong - Rudolf Diesel did not invent the Diesel Engine an Australian/pom did. But we all knew that... It is just like a New Zealander Ricahard Pearse flew before the Wright Brothers http://www.nzedge.com/heroes/pearse.html ... I'll let you guy's ponder this and search the web yourselfs....

Check out this link also on Herbert Akroyd-Stuart
    http://www.adb.online.anu.edu.au/biogs/A120145b.htm

Herbert Akroyd-Stuart (January 28 1864, Halifax Yorkshire, England - February 19 1927, Western Australia)

He had lived in Australia in his early years. His first prototypes were built in 1886. His engines were built from 1891 by Richard Hornsby and Sons of Grantham, Lincolnshire, England under the title Hornsby Akroyd Patent Oil Engine under licence.
    Stuart, Herbert Akroyd (1864 - 1927)
    Published Sources

Mechanical engineer
    Born: 2 January 1864 Yorkshire, England. Died: 19 February 1927.
    Herbert Akroyd Stuart worked in the Bletchley Iron and Tinplate Works, England until his migration to Western Australia in 1900. There he joined his brother Charles who helped to form the engineering firm Saunders & Stuart. He invented the compression ignition oil engine two years earlier than Rudolf Diesel, patented in 1890 and manufactured as the Hornsby-Akroyd hot-bulb heavy-oil engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_bulb_engine

Hot bulb engine
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    The hot bulb engine is a type of internal combustion engine; more specifically, it is a compression ignition engine, in which the fuel is ignited by being suddenly exposed to the high temperature and pressure of a compressed gas, rather than by a separate source of ignition, such as a spark plug, as is the case in the gasoline engine.

It was invented by Herbert Akroyd Stuart in the end of the 19th century. The first prototypes were built in 1886 and production started in 1891 by Richard Hornsby & Sons of Grantham, Lincolnshire, England under the title Hornsby Akroyd Patent Oil Engine under licence. It was later developed in USA by the German emigrants Miez and Weiss by combining it with the two-stroke engine developed by Robert Day.

The modern Diesel engine is a hybrid incorporating the features of direct (airless) injection patented by Akroyd-Stuart in 1890 and compression ignition, patented by Rudolf Diesel in 1892. Akroyd-Stuart's compression ignition engine (compared to spark-ignition) was invented two years earlier than Diesel's similar engine.

Hot bulb engines were commonly used to power fishing boats, saw mills, pumps and tractors. The engines were usually one cylinder, two stroke.

To start the engine the bulb needs to be heated. Originally it was done manually using a blowtorch, something that could take 15-20 minutes. Later also electric heating or pyrotechnics was used.

The main advantages of the hot bulb engine is that it has few moving parts, it seldom breaks, it has no electrical or complicated components and it can run on just about anything that burns; like gasoline, kerosene, diesel, crude oil, coal dust, natural gas, vegetable oil and so on. This has led to an interest in using hot bulb engines in developing nations where they can be run on locally produced biofuel
    hdj80
    Last edited by hdj80; 9 August 2006, 03:27 PM.
    HDJ80 (aka Kiwipete)
    Canberra

Re: Who really invented the Diesel Engine

Hi
    Thanks for sharing that.
    See knowledge is power.Always thought that Mr.Diesel invented the engine.So he is the man who got the patent piggy backing on an Australian Inventor.Interesting stuff.Thanks for that.

Cheers
    Sauman

Tomorrow is Int.Bio Diesel Day.Honk Honk.We need to make a noise.!!!

Comment

Yes and to sidetrack this thread even more, Stringfellow was the inventor of unmanned powered flight 20 years before the Wright brothers.

http://www.ba-education.demon.co.uk/...redflight.html

He flew his plane inside a silk mill in my home town of Chard in Somerset, UK.

Comment

My thoughts were that hot bulb engines were different to compression ignition engines. Diesels are more efficent because they have a higher compression ratio. To stop the fuel burning prematurely, it is added when the combustion event is required, not added in with the air, which would result in it igniting part way through the compression stroke.
        A hot bulb engine is initially pre heated, and then the burning fuel/ air keep it hot, not the compression of the gasses, so I would question the comment that a hot bulb engine is a compression ignition engine.
        However, I did hear about the wright bros being the first american to fly, (and by american standards, the first person)
        I did hear the photocopier was an Australian invention? anyone know about it?
        cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Originally posted by geewizztoo
          Yes and to sidetrack this thread even more, Stringfellow was the inventor of unmanned powered flight 20 years before the Wright brothers.

http://www.ba-education.demon.co.uk/...redflight.html

He flew his plane inside a silk mill in my home town of Chard in Somerset, UK.
          Hi there
          Talk about sidetracking
          What about the refrigerator invented in SA as well as the first shipment of Frozen meat out of Melbourne to Britain Admitetly the ship was built in Scotland and carried migrants out to Australia while the SA designed refrigeration compressors where tried out on the way here
          As well as the first Ice works in Geelong right here in Victoria Th Humes pipe centrifugally cast for sewer works etc etc etc
          Necessity is not the mother of invention, it is the contrary
          The mother of necessity is invention
          Cheers
          Chris
          Cheers
          Chris
          Never give up :)

Comment

Chris,

There's no need to make snide comments about "American Standards," is there?

Follow the link below, and you'll see that, at least according to this website, there's evidence that there was someone who flew even earlier than Richard Pearse:

http://www.didyouknow.cd/wright.htm

"Two years, four months and three days before the successful flights of the Wright brothers at Kitty Hawk, a birdlike monoplane took to the air at early dawn on August 14, 1901, near Bridgeport, Connecticut, carrying its inventor and builder, Gustave Whitehead, a distance of approximately a half mile." - Megan Adam, descendant of Gustave A. Whitehead.
            Although there are no blueprints of Whitehead's craft, evidence is mounting that Whitehead might indeed have been the first to have taken to the sky in a machine-powered aircraft.

Justin

Comment

Sorry I have difficulty understanding how "world series baseball" doesnt have global representation. My sister who is over there has said there is a bit of ignorance to the rest of the world.
              Mind you probably the rest of the world is the same, its just that America's media seems to travel further.
              cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Wow Guys,

Just really enjoy the history of engines and flying info. The stories are not suprising. Throughout one's life you experience situations where the wrong people get the reputation and recognition. Usually a result of "Sponsorship - Investment or Vested Interest ".
                What fabulous postings people. I devour every morsel. What a forum, entertainment, education and many pleasurable encounters. I love it! ( I still like the Golden Elixer Though!!!!)

Thanks Folks!!!

Dillyman
                dillyman
                Last edited by dillyman; 10 August 2006, 01:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X