Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melb. suppliers HERE

Hello all,

I don't know about you guys, but one of the biggest problems I had working full time was finding all of the suppliers for this "eclectic" hobby Therefore here are all the bits I have bought so far and where I got them.

CAV 5 um glass bowl filter - $150, Filters Distributors, 691 Maroondah Hww, Mitcham 3132, 9874 6352, wk days and sat mornings

5um filter sock, 6" diameter polypropylene approx 700mm long, $37, Absolute Filters, 10 raws crescent, hume, ACT, 02 6260 1888

Polyethylene pipe for fuel hoze, 5/16", approx $2/m, Clark Rubber (look in phone book, they are everywhere)

10m 5/8" heater hose, four T connections, hose clamps, one 5/16" tee, one 5/16" barb to 1/4 BSP thread, 5m rubber fuel line - $170, enzed (also look in phone book. These guys are a chain). NOTE - my friend told me these guys are expensive and suggested purple pig as a possible alternative.

Two 5/16" barb to 1/4" BSP - $4.40, purple pig, mountain hwy, bayswater (chain?).

One 22.5L plastic marine fuel tank. Comes with vent valve (screw type, not vac operated) on fuel cap and fuel line connector. Approx $56, Regal Marine, Caterbury Road, Vermont (Mitcham?).

Gasket material, used for making custom gaskets on cars to seal against air, oil or water. About $25. Bursons Automotive (once again, this is a chain, check your area). Repco probably sells this also.

Fuel change over solenoid, 6 port. Long Range Automotive, Lilydale. These guys also make fuel tanks, so it may be worth having a chat to them. $307. They probably sell a 3 port for less.

Temp sensor - $2 Jaycar (chain). This is your supply for relays, wire and switches that you will need for the solenoid also.

Fuel sender unit and heater core. A heater core is probably overkill for heating the tank but oh well. I acquired these, but AMV automotive spare parts (there are three mobs called AMV, get the right one) should sell them, as they sell the Land Rover Discovery diesel fuel filters for about $50.

If you want to go the copper pipe approach, or you want to weld your own tank - Challenge Metals, is a scrap metal merchant in Bayswater. They sell per kilo. I got 25kg of Stainless Steel sheet for my tank for $100. They have copper pipe in the quantities one would need for this also. I didn't end up using SS for the tank because of welding difficulties and I didn't want to mix copper (heater core) with SS. Apparently you need to use silver solder in this situation ($$$) and you can have galvanic corrosion issues....

Hmmm, that's probably about it for now. I would encourage everyone to put up any suppliers they have found, as this conversion will become more popular with good information. I will try and get the other phone numbers and addresses in the next couple of days for y'all!

Cheers

Scott

Re: Melb. suppliers HERE

I bought a copy of a CAV filter from GWB hydaluics (in mount gambier) for $38 or thereabouts. (so far its ben ok) They specalise in hydraulic fittings, pipes etc.

My changeover valve I started off with LPG gas fittings, but discovered they didn't suit my Merc with lift pumps. (They dont work if pressurised on their outlets) I swapped for a pollak valve on e-bay from a guy named "tony from west oz" (I also got the idea for using a merc, info how to make a fuel heater, a great seminar to go to, and help on why my merc stopped and a few problems with my system) for about $120 (for the valve, the advice was free)

I bought some filters from Sefar, but found the freight for the 4 filters was about the same as the cost as the filters, so next time will order a lot more.

I also found engineering shops would serve you without laughing when you explained what you were doing better than auto shops.
    cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Working...
    X