Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filtering Design - Looking For Feedback

Hi All,
    After alot of research and help this is the idea I've come up with for filtering waste vegetable oil so far. It's a gravity fed cold double upflow settling system. Any feedback/tips/suggestions are more than welcome.
    Cheers
    alba
    Biofuels Forum Newbie
    Last edited by alba; 3 December 2008, 09:36 AM. Reason: picture not showing

Re: Filtering Design - Looking For Feedback

Looks excellent to me. The resulting oil should be really clean and clear.
    Now what about drying? Can you incorporate a drying method in the system somewhere - after the settling tanks?

Comment

From what I've researched it seems the settling should dry it to a certain extent yes? And I was thinking of making one of the filter housings a water seperating one.

Comment

Thanks Dave you saved me a lot of typing. Agree with all that. Well nearly, I do think drains in the tanks are worthwhile, makes getting the crud out real easy. Here is an old thread with what mine looked like 6 months ago. It has a shed around it now and is a bit tidier. http://www.biofuelsforum.com/svo_use..._system-2.html
        You can see the cone bottom drum, OK Dave I know you reckon it is unneccesary but by just cracking those taps open every week or so and removing the water and fats you can only improve the quality of oil which can move on thru the system. Maybe cone drums are a luxury but I luv em'. I no longer mist wash as the oil is so clean it doesnt need it. I also rarely use the pump as after pouring oil in the funnel (old shirt in funnel strains out most bits) it makes its way right through by gravity and even flows through the 2 5micron house filters into a lower container. As for drying, like Dave says nearly dry, sometimes dry, not always. I use a small air pump in the last drum (oil heated to 50 deg) left it switched on the other night by mistake. Next morning HPTest not a single tiniest bubble.
        I wil be cleaning all my oil stocks over summer and going into hibernation over winter. Its just so much easier.
        Johnnojack
        4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
        Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

I don't have time to read all those loooong replies, so Im going to simply attach a couple of photos of my filtering system. This system seems to work well, and I have yet to experience any problems. (Other than a hose clamp not tight enough blowing off!!!)
          Cheers
          Have a nice day. :)
          AngusF

Comment

Working...
          X