Ads in this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ads in this forum

I've finally put ads in here. They are done via google adSense. I've not had to use ads on a website before, so it is new to me. Once I've got a handle on it, I'll start working on refining it a little. The first thing I will do once I've got the layout and operation correct will be to remove or limit ads shown to donating members.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Ads in this forum

So far they look pretty unobtrusive, so you certainly shouldn't be getting any complaints from members.

I hope it brings in some revenue for you. Would it help if we clicked on them from time to time? Don't you get a small (tiny) fee every time somebody clicks on them?
    Sean

Comment

There is still much to do with the ads in here. I've only tried them for the first time this morning and already I'm discovering that the most popular code for it it sorely lacking in quality (as usual). I've noticed that many browsers do not display the ads, so many of you currently have a reprieve.

As for driving people away who don't want to see the ads and who don't want to donate - meh. Also, it is not about annoying non-donators to make them donate. Those who do donate do so for their own ethical reasons and not simply to remove some ads.

As for making a nice profit from them... Even if I do (which I doubt), it will need to be an awful lot to compensate many years spent working in here. I'm more concerned with covering my costs at the moment. I am not yet sure how much per click I get, as despite over 1000 page impressions served since I put it up this morning, there has not been a single click. If one day it turns out to be profitable, then maybe I can sell it to someone who cares. Seems that no one cares about stuff done to be helpful, but they can only see a value in something when it is profitable.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Robert,
        Keep up the good work.

If people don't support the site financially, or in kind, then they will suffer frequent refreshing of their pages.

So be it!

Regards,
        Tony
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi Tony,

I think the refreshing should have only happened to the ads, not the whole page, but nonetheless, as per David's suggestion, I have already found and disabled this - they should only refresh now when a new page is served.

I have also fixed up the display not being centred and not appearing in all browsers. I've also added in an exception for members who have donated (such as Tony), so those of you who have should not see any ads from now (let me know if you do).
          Robert.
          Site Admin.

Comment

Some interesting ads today all about making biodiesel, one below

Diesel Secret Energy - Alternative Biofuel Biodiesel (link removed)

Would seem the snake oil is not as cheap as my blending.

Sorry guy's don't click on the link I provided have a look at the actual ad and help Robert with some commission.
            Robert
            Administrator
            Last edited by Robert; 6 January 2009, 04:08 PM.

Comment

Yeah, I did see that one appear in the ads and I did worry about it. I will investigate to see if there is a way to tell google not to serve me with that one. I hope there is as I don't like the idea of links to that appearing in here.

(Neil, I've removed the link in your post above).
              Robert
              Administrator
              Last edited by Robert; 6 January 2009, 04:18 PM.
              Robert.
              Site Admin.

Comment

I think I've worked out how to block the ads from "dieselsecret" now. Apparently it will take google a few hours to put it into effect, so if anyone sees this ad still appearing, could you please let me know? (You don't have to click on it to see it, you can tell by the URL at the bottom of the ad).
                Robert.
                Site Admin.

Comment

Working...
                X