Diesel Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel Problem

Hi, I have a 2.4 litre diesel engine in an '86 model Hilux (not yet running Bio Fuel) that keeps stalling every few minutes like it's run out of fuel. If I pull over and restart the engine it shakes around due to the very low idle speed but if I keep my foot on the accelerator it eventually picks up enough revs to take off again, only to stall a few hundred metres down the road.

I've noticed the longer I let the engine sit before restarting the further I can drive before it stalls again.

At first I thought maybe it was the fuel pump that was stuffed but why would it start up ok and work fine when I first go to drive it? Some mornings I can drive it for a couple of kilometres before it first stalls, but after that it happens every few minutes.

I've changed the fuel filter and drained the fuel tank but it made no difference. Any other suggestions?

Cheers, O-D.

Re: Diesel Problem

hi iam very sure there is a fuel strainer in the tank of your hilux
    remove the fuel line from your filter blow down it. It could clear and if it doesnt you may need to remove the tank and give it a good clean.

hope this helps you.

coy

Comment

Thanks Coy, it looks like you are correct. I left the Hilux at my dad's house and after speaking to a local mechanic he blew the fuel line out with his air compressor. I'm yet to give it a test drive but he's fairly confident that it did the trick.

Regards, O-D.

Comment

your welcome glad to have helped
        coy

Comment

Might also be a good idea to see if your IP has the gauze strainer,
          a few members have been talking about it lately.
          Do a few searches on the forum and see what you come up with.
          One of our more experienced guy's might have more clues shortly.

Comment

Hi all, i had this problem with my 2.4L 85 lux, it was the breather pipe that runs into the chassis from the filler spout, it was blocked by small wasp nest.

I've noticed the longer I let the engine sit before restarting the further I can drive before it stalls again.

This is because the tank is slowly re-drawing air back into itself.
            An easy way to check this, is to open the fuel cap, if it breaths a massive sigh of relieve then check your breather pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by Toey View Post
              Hi all, i had this problem with my 2.4L 85 lux, it was the breather pipe that runs into the chassis from the filler spout, it was blocked by small wasp nest.

This is because the tank is slowly re-drawing air back into itself.
              An easy way to check this, is to open the fuel cap, if it breaths a massive sigh of relieve then check your breather pipe.

That is right buddy.
              Your assumption is correct.

Comment

Working...
              X