Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oily air filter - blow-by

Hi forum,

This is a more of a mechanical question than bd- svo related but with all you older Merceded 300d lovers out there I'm sure someone can help. I tried to send a email to our pres. Tony but I don't think it went through. Anyway...
    I have a 83’ 300d The engine is sound and does not have excessive blow-by but for some reason my air filter gets oily from the outside which clogs it up much quicker than normal. I have to replace the air filter two to three times a year and I put very little miles on it. Both the lower and upper blow-by pipes go into this plastic canister before it’s nozzle hangs over the intake. I was thinking about putting some kind of “medium” in that canister to help manage the oil carried into the air filter housing. I just don’t understand how the oil film is getting on the outside of the filter unless it’s actually being saturated inside and bleeding out??? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Blaze (blazeschi-energy at yahoo dot com)
    Last edited by joe; 21 March 2009, 05:36 AM. Reason: obfuscated email

Re: Oily air filter - blow-by

Blaze, I received your PM and replied to you.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
    X