Hilux conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux conversion

I have posted this on the "Biodiesel and SVO Forums" site as well, but hopefully all the Hilux owners will come out of the woodwork here. In fact anyone with two bob to put in!

I need a bit of help sorting out my conversion. I will be using canola oil in a 1990 2.8L Hilux which is indirect injection using a rotary injection pump.It runs well, though never especially powerful and has done 348K km. Also the climate in Western Australia is pretty warm so my oil is always liquid. Here's my idea of how it will run:

Start on diesel, after letting things warm up a bit, start the pump pushing oil through the WVO side of things, returning to tank until the temp after the FPHE is satisfactory, then switch to run on WVO, the pump turns off and the IP fuel return, after a delay, is switched to the oil tank.

Any comments?

I'm not sure if the pump is necessary once I am running on WVO, but it would be simple to change.
    I will probably be using two fuel shut-off valves for each of the 3-way pollack type in my diagram, to better cope with the heat.
    The fuel lines will be HOH, all 4 lines (2 coolant, 2 fuel) bundled together.
    The fuel tank will be from a wreckers, with copper pipe brazed to the bottom to run the coolant through. I drive a lot on rough roads and I don't want any water in fuel issues if something vibrates enough to crack and leak so no in-tank heating.
    I am trying to find a non-copper brazed FPHE so there will be no copper/oil contact in the system, and switching after it to avoid heating the diesel.

I have been doing a far bit of lurking/searching on the relevant forums and tried to incorporate the ideas I liked.

Thanks,
    Steve.
    1990 LN106 Hilux - Currently planning 2-tank system

Re: Hilux conversion

How about this then?

The only heat comes from the FPHE, ideally getting the oil temp to 80+degC.
    I haven't measured exactly how hot the coolant gets yet, thinking of putting one of these sensors in the coolant line first so I can see exactly how it varies in temp:

Comment

If you were to source a pressure relief valve or non-return valve with a 5psi opening pressure and use a veggie pump delivering 5-6psi, the veggie fimter would preheat during the engine warm-up. The fuel would pass thru the NR valve and be pumped thru the FPHE and filter again and again, until the filter were at the operating temperature.
      Once the engine is running on veggie, the FPHE would be able to keep the filter hot, just on normal fuel flow.

Your diagrams look good.

I feel that you could use a coolant temperature gauge to measure the fuel temperature, but that you would only need to do it for a short time, and translate that to the engine coolant temperature indication.
      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Tony,
        Thanks for the suggestion, though I am a little confused..
        Is this what you are getting at?

objet
        Last edited by objet; 19 August 2006, 01:28 AM.

Comment

I would say that is what he is suggesting. A good way to get the filter warmed, as it always has hot oil going through it.
          I would imagine this expecially important on a setup for tallows, as if the fuel is not flowing fast enough through your filter, it will starve for fuel. until you have traveled long enough to get it hot.

I guess the other question is, would this allow a vane type fuel pump to get hot enough to work on veggie?
          cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Yes, by doing so, you allow fuel to circulate to ensure that the filter is up to temperature before changeover.

Capt Echidna, I do not know whether this would allow the use of a vane pump, but from my experience with the vane pumps, they would not even promote flow until they started to pump, and that would be after the oil was hot enough. Tis sounds like a "Catch 22" situation to me.
            The Georotor pumps may be a better alternative than the vane pumps.
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Working...
            X