Forum is back from a failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum is back from a failure

This did not happen at a good time for me, but I've stolen some hours from my rest and sanity and eventually the forum is up again. In order to get it here, I've had to erase much of the customisations I've created over the years. The immediate result this morning to my labours of the last few nights was that the forum has been spammed and the moderators currently lack the proper tools to easily remove this stuff.
    I'm going to get some breakfast, throw away the rest of my Saturday and begin to re-secure the forum from this sort of thing. I don't know why I bother.
    Robert.
    Site Admin.

Re: Forum is back from a failure

Thanks again for your efforts Robert. I saw that the site had been spammed. Looks good now.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

Thanks a lot Robert. I have often wondered how many thousands of litres of diesel you have prevented being burnt keeping this forum going. I can help people with their questions (and have helped quite a few by PM's) have been helped by quite a few, and have helped keep my sanity through the highs (getting 200L of oil from Dave in Sydney, meaning my 4000K trip used about 120L of diesel, towing a caravan) and the lows (pulling the injector pump out again from the landcruiser)
      cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

There may some more bumps ahead as I do some other upgrades and start to put things back together. I'll try not to take it offline for too long, but I just thought I should post up a warning first so that it is not unexpected.
        Robert.
        Site Admin.

Comment

Thanks Robert for your effort,its been hard missing my Fix for the day.

Robert I noticed about a week ago we seemed to be getting spam and
          when you would search for members older posts it would show the wrong
          member as the original poster. I just thought this was my PC playing up,
          so maybe it has been building for a few weeks.

Thanks again
          Neil

Comment

Robert,
            Thanks for your prompt response to the emergency.
            I wish my skills were such that I could assist you manage the site. Alas, they are inadequate for that task.

Perhaps this might be a good time to remind members that this site is not self supporting. You can make a Donation to the operation of the site, which will lessen the financial cost to Robert, in having the site hosted.

Best wishes,
            Tony
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Rob,

I do thank you for your constant efforts in keeping this forums on line.

I can not put my appreciation into words.

Thank you a million.

Fitian
              Fitian
              <><

Comment

Hey! Great work getting it up and running again! We all really appreciate your maintenance on this forum. It's such a good resource and we're glad it's up and running again.
                Cheers,
                CHRIS

Comment

It may be down again soon. I've decided to bite the bullet and do some fairly major upgrades which I've been procrastinating over for a while now. Perhaps if I had done these sooner, this outage may not have happened.
                  The forum is still far from perfect, though all the essentials may be functioning. Once I have finished these upgrades, then I'll begin imlementing and fixing all the stray bits.
                  I may do this later tonight, or I may wait for tomorrow morning. I'll be taking the forum offline while I do it, so look out for it.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Gday Robert i,m more of a reader of this forum than one who puts in hours of input , if it wasn,t for this forum i would not be cruising down the highway smelling like fish n chips. Thanks for keeping this forum alive.

Mussopete

Comment

Thanks for everything, Robert. Even though you may have to do more to improve the situation, I sincerely thank you for what you have so far achieved. (even my log-on problem I was having has now been overcome with the new work) Thanks again for persisting - I know we all are very appreciative.

Bill

Comment

Phew! Finished the upgrades.
                        I'm going to stumble outside to rub my eyes and find something to eat. Hopefully the forum will all work properly now!

P.S. Hello to all those horrible little filthy spammers that I can see already trying to log in from banned accounts. There were measures to prevent you in here before, but now there are also some more. Don't waste your time.
                        Robert
                        Administrator
                        Last edited by Robert; 5 July 2009, 04:40 PM.
                        Robert.
                        Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
                          Perhaps this might be a good time to remind members that this site is not self supporting. You can make a Donation to the operation of the site...
                          Thanks Tony.

I've also put ads in the forum which should only be displayed to non-donating members (please let me know if you have donated and still see them).

I've recently drastically changed the back-end of the advertising system, but not really had a chance to test it much yet, so many settings are at default. If anyone has any suggestions on better ad placements etc, please post a new thread about it. Also, if anyone sees unsavoury ads appear, please let me know so I can better filter them (for example, on the old setup, I had to blacklist ads from some snake-oil companies).

If anyone wants to click on ads instead of donating to show your support, please do (but don't go crazy about it). They don't make a huge amount, but every click helps.
                          Robert.
                          Site Admin.

Comment

Robert. and the Collective,

i have missed this site for a coupkle of days now, whemn i finally realised there was a problem, not with my computer, but with the website, i was mortified.

i went into shock thinking that this site would change somehow, or worse, BE GONE,,,,,.

now, i know i have asked a lot from this site and from the collective that make this site what it is, but i know ask, what can i do in return?

how would i become a donating member? i am not a rich man by any means, but, i feel that anything would be better than nothing. this site must be a burdon on you Robert, time and money wise, not too mention any family that might be there.

so if a donation of sorts was to be in order, PM me and i will do my bit.

i have so much to thank for from this site, it's people, it's info and it's ongoing support when the shyte hits the fan.

once again, THANK YOU ROBERT, for your time and effort.

H1K
                            if it's FERAL, it's in PERIL.

i too belong to P.E.T.A.
                            people eating tasty animals.

Comment

Its never done in vain mate, well done as i was lost a bit without it over the weekend.

So your contribution isnt under-estimated, thanku

Comment

Working...
                              X