PDA

View Full Version : what are the licences needed to make your own ethanol for your car in WA?

Sandman
12th July 2009, 12:32 AM
I am interested in making some ethanol legaly for use on the Farm.
What are the "hoops" that I must jump through before I even start building a still?
Can anyone advise me how hard it is to actually get the appropiate permits/licences and keep them?

Cheers
Sandman.

Tony From West Oz
12th July 2009, 12:57 AM
You would need to contact the Excise people at ATO and discuss with them what you would like to do.

I am not aware of any individual in WA who has successfully been licensed to make reasonable volumes of ethanol for any purpose, let alone specifically for fuel, although it may be easier to get a licence for fuel ethanol as it can be denatured relatively easily by the addition of petrol, as it comes from the still. There may be some corporations which have licenses.
There would be significant record keeping requirements if you were to be granted a licence, and excise on the fuel may be payable.

Good luck.

Tony

Nuciferos
26th April 2011, 08:06 PM
It is basically the same process as is involved in registering as a biodiesel manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, the ATO wants its cut, and it wants decent book keeping to make sure you're not slipping some out the back door. There is also a requirement that you allow for any on site inspections that they see fit (but I haven't seen anybody yet!)

I'm thinking of setting up a consultancy to get people past this hurdle, so drop me a line if you're interested.

Tony From West Oz
19th July 2012, 10:30 PM
It is basically the same process as is involved in registering as a biodiesel manufacturer.

Not surprisingly, the ATO wants its cut, and it wants decent book keeping to make sure you're not slipping some out the back door. There is also a requirement that you allow for any on site inspections that they see fit (but I haven't seen anybody yet!)

I'm thinking of setting up a consultancy to get people past this hurdle, so drop me a line if you're interested.
AND they would require you to have a secure storage location for both the production facility and the bond store for the product.

Regards,
Tony

Nuciferos
21st July 2012, 04:32 PM
The process is more tedious than difficult. Start by having a look at the ATO web site, they have all of the info and forms to do it.

You will also need to form your own company, not difficult or expensive either.

Alternately, I can do it all for you for a reasonable price.