Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about Australian Bio Diesel Industry

Hi Guys!
    I'm doing a research project on Australian Bio Diesel Industry with 4 other fellow postgraduate students. From our basic research so far we found that there is very little previous research done in this area. Here are findings from our basic research:
    Bio Diesel Production capability in Australia:
    100M L/annum in 2006
    800M L/annum in 2008
    Cost Of Production:
    75-80% of cost of production of petroleum diesel
    Bio-diesel market in Australia can be divided into three tiers.
    1. Large scale producers (Above 1M L per year): 10-15
    2. Small scale producers(200-500L per month): about 50
    3. Domestic producers(Less than 200L per month): 250-500

If the annual production in Australia is about 100M L, who are the buyers? It’s obvious that there are not many retail outlets. How many of this production export? Does this production go to big oil companies to mix with petroleum fuel?
    Can you guys help us verify these figures? It'll be great if you can direct us towards other source of information.

Regards,
    Dan

Re: Info about Australian Bio Diesel Industry

G Day Dan
    Welcome to the forum.
    Please check this thread out will give you some idea where the stuff goes
    http://www.biofuelsforum.com/general...angements.html

Which Uni are you folks doing your PG on.Would be interesting to know how the different Uni's in Aus are involving themselves in the alternate fuel movement and the transition phase.I am out of touch with the Aus Uni's fore about 3 years now.But very keen to know whats happening and who is doing what. As this could help all of us in here and Australia in general.So please do keep us posted with reagrds to above.
    We would be very interested to know also about the different development that are taking place in Bio Fuels research.

We can only do it together.

Cheers
    Sauman

Comment

Hi Dan,

A great subject for study. This is something that I was trying to track down, but have not spent any serious time on it. I only get hearsay and rumour. However, the figures that you give do concur with what I've heard (though perhaps a little lower).
      I did at some point makes some notes from a speech I heard on this subject and I published them here. I don't know how accurate the information I was given was, but it was the best I had.
      Additionally, I attended an industry meeting in April this year and I heard "Current projects planned at the moment “in the room” added up to 750-800ML.". I created an industry section in this forum and posted notes from this meeting here. Sadly, seems that most of the industry is generally not too concerned with talking to the users, or being public about what they are doing (with a few exceptions).
      At the most recent fuel tax bill, debated in the senate in June 2006, when the Biodiesel Industry got the carpet pulled from under them with some complete backflips on previous promises, I heard that the figure of 1 Billion litres by the end of 2008 was bandied about by some people representing the industry.

I would really like to know some real figures and see a real list of producers and their operating capacity (expected and present). Dan - I'd really appreciate it if you do have any info on this if you could please float it my way - I think this is something we'd all like to know.

Cheers,
      Robert
      Administrator
      Last edited by Robert; 27 August 2006, 10:31 PM.
      Robert.
      Site Admin.

Comment

Hi Dan and Co. Please feel welcome at the next meet of the MBDC, S9. You may meet a large proportion of these 500 backyard producers >250litres per month.

Comment

Recent Reuters item

Sort perpetuates alot of the crystal ball gazing that is going on at the moment. Whether bio fuel production creates problems or is the end result of something else happening. If you guys want to see biodiesel in action then drive a diesel up highway 31 to just the otherside of Holbrook and fill with the yellow liquid at Volume Plus. (take spare fuel filters just in case as well.)
          Robert
          Administrator
          Last edited by Robert; 28 August 2006, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Dear Dan:

A table on the BAA Home site suggests that as of October 2006 annual CAPACITY in AU is 484 million litres. Click on "Biodiesel Production" on the left side of their home page and look at the listed table of producers plus the table, beneath of new producers. If there is a problem with these numbers I need to know it, myself, as we are about to go to press with a new paper on WTO regulation and biofuels and I am quoting those #s! If you need current information, I have plenty of it - but little on AU other than the material on the biodiesel site.

Cheers,

Petrus

Comment

Dear Dan & Other Members:

Does anyone have the 2005 figures for actual production of biodiesel in AU, at the commercial level? I am having trouble finding that number! If anyone can help I would be very grateful.

Best,

Petrus

email me at: pvanbork@outerline.com if you do have that information...

Comment

Hi Dan, Given that Aus production of B100 is 480million l/year & a liter of diesel gives off 2.75 kg of co2 when you burn it & B100 is co2 neutral.
                I think I got this right.....It comes out to 1,320,000 Tons of co2 saved per year
                So why is the current government removing incentives to make & use the stuff....by removing the fuel tax credit & grant scheme??? Can anyone explain this to me??? Has anyone done a study on the vacuum in politicians heads

Comment

A bit of a late reply on this one, but Petrus had some offline discussion with me a while ago and it never made it back into here (until now). He found an ANZ industry brief on Automotive Biofuels, which states the production of biodiesel in 2004-2005 was only 3.7ML! This seems to fly in the face of everything we know. I'm not sure how they arrived at that figure, but it is somewhat less than the capacity (about 130 times less).
                  It would be nice to get some real and definitive answers on this one.
                  I'll post up a spreadsheet showing Australian production capacity in another thread.
                  Robert
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by Robert; 9 November 2006, 09:22 AM.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by Petrus View Post
                    Dear Dan:

A table on the BAA Home site suggests that as of October 2006 annual CAPACITY in AU is 484 million litres. Click on "Biodiesel Production" on the left side of their home page and look at the listed table of producers plus the table, beneath of new producers. If there is a problem with these numbers I need to know it, myself, as we are about to go to press with a new paper on WTO regulation and biofuels and I am quoting those #s! If you need current information, I have plenty of it - but little on AU other than the material on the biodiesel site.

Cheers,

Petrus
                    Is it just me or does the link to BAA Home here take you to a foxtel page and why?
                    How many times did edison fail at making the light bulb?

"the things I don't know" site:biofuelsforum.com

My 86 HiLux makes me wonder what the poor people drive :P>

Comment

Yes it does go to a Foxtel page. The Web address is correct, perhaps Foxtel have 'hacked' the BSS site?
                      Another alternative is that BAA have sold their URL to Foxtel.

Curiouser and curioser.

Regards,
                      Tony
                      Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                      '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                      '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                      '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                      '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                      '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                      '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                      '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                      '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                      '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                      '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                      '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                      '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                      Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

When you puzzle about what is happening to a website, or want to know who is behind it, you can do a WHOIS lookup by checking the registration details at http://whois.ausregistry.com.au.

It looks to me like the domain name has expired and been taken over by a holding group. I suspect they have nothing to do with Foxtel. It has limited obvious links on the page, and is mostly text and images - it's a holding page to make the domain name look like it is being used and unavailable to others to register. When I viewed the source code I found one link - to http://comparetoday.com.au/compare-foxtel-packages/

I 'think' the idea is that you contact the current Domain Owner via a WHOIS lookup, as below, say you want to use the domain name, they sell it to you for a fee, then it can be used again for it's legitimate purpose.

Domain Name biodiesel.org.au
                        Registrar ID drop.com.au
                        Registrar Name Drop.com.au Pty Ltd
                        Status ok
                        Registrant TECHNOLOGY PUBLISHING NETWORK
                        Registrant ID OTHER 159773118
                        Eligibility Type Non-profit Organisation
                        Registrant Contact ID D8_1950_0
                        Registrant Contact Name Domain Manager
                        Registrant Contact Email mail@technology-publishing-network.com.au
                        Tech Contact ID D8_1950_0
                        Tech Contact Name Domain Manager
                        Tech Contact Email mail@technology-publishing-network.com.au
                        Tim-HJ61
                        Donating Member
                        Last edited by Tim-HJ61; 28 January 2014, 11:17 AM. Reason: inserted some links
                        Toyota Landcruiser 1988 HJ61 Manual Wagon
                        12H-T turbo Direct Injection.
                        Twin Tank setup runs on 100% WVO after warm up. 30 plate FPHE with 80°C output, 12mm fuel lines
                        Start up and shut down electric fuel pump feeds IP direct.
                        Front 4WDSytstems Lokka, Rear ARB airlokka for quick escapes up sandhills. Performance GTurbo with 600mm FMIC gives 450nm @ 1700rpm at 20psi boost.

Comment

Working...
                        X