titration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• titration

The problem I am having is the oil and methanol is not mixing. It you let it sit for a few seconds the oil and methanol separate. I was told that you could not have any oil floating the meth for titration to work.

Re: titration

Hello slboson

You were told wrong.
    In my experience, the oil does not disolve in the alcohol. The alcohol washes the FFA's out of the Oil which is all we a concerned with in the titration.
    For the easiest method of titrating you cannot beat the World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)

Tilly

Comment

Why do you need to add 5 to the numbers of milliliters of titration you use

Comment

Hello sl boson

The short answer is that a chemist (Ph.D) in Perth did some GC tests that showed if you wish to make ASTM conversion biodiesel from new oil it requires a minimum of 5g NaOH mixed into 200ml methanol per litre of oil reacted.
        If you would like the long answer let me know.

Tilly

Comment

Ok I was using the journey to forever recipe it calls for 3.5 per litter of oil.

I should have paid more attention in chemistry this can get a little heavy
          slboson
          Last edited by slboson; 30 August 2006, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Hello slboson
            The JTF website is the laughing stock of the biodiesel world.
            The biodiesel production information it contains is hopelessly out of date and inaccurate. Some of the recommended procedures appear to have come straight out of a Voodoo Book.

Tilly

Comment

Working...
            X