hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hello

just wanted to introduce myself to the forum.

Re: hello

Welcome to the forum.
    Most members here are from Australia, so very few would use the Stanadyne pump, however some may have a Ford F250 or similar, and some of your countrymen post here too, so you are likely to get a response to your other post.
    Are you considering using biodiesel and/or WVO in your F250?

Regatds,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Re: hello from Stateside

Hi Tony,

Is the Stanadyne pump not available on Ford Diesels sold in Australia?

Until I learn a little more about the engineering involved I don't want to experiment on my work truck. There is a local independent Ford "Master Mechanic" who has come highly recommended to me by a local professional tow-truck driver who owns and operates his own personal F-350 with an 18k lb power winch. He and his lead mechanic have been extremely helpful with pre-purchase inspection and getting the thing back on a regular maintenance schedule. I'm good with CI engines but haven't owned a Ford in over two decades and the last one was a '69 Galaxie 500 convertible which I reworked the push rods in but alas, am completely new to Fords Diesel engineering.

As I understand it, less so than with viscosity, the "rub" is in the fuel density when it comes to American injector pumps. I have lots of Mercedes-Benz diesel experience with the 617 era motors and own a '78 300D along with a diesel generator set with an Isuzu DI 4 banger which powers my home. I do my own wrenching and have some experience collecting, filtering and fueling with WVO.

There is a local biodiesel reseller at the Solar Living Center in Hopland, CA (Online Solar Training, Solar Installation Training, Solar Certification) which sells neat B100. The ASTM manufacturer is some 30 miles north of me, Yokayo BioFuels of Ukiah, Mendocino county, California (Yokayo Biofuels). Unfortunately, their corporate presence has completely fucked the WVO collection business for even the Board of Health licensed and approved waste haulers. Unless you can provide containment and collection along with wholesale leasing of oil stock and restaurant inventory then you simply can not compete here - even on the mom and pop shop level. San Francisco isn't that far south of us and their municipal sewage is over run with so much illegal restaurant WVO dumping that they have started a municipal collection and biodiesel manufacturing program. CA regs are pretty tight, but with good reason and effect sometimes... I digress.

Yes, I would like to explore my options with the Stanadyne pump. The '86 6.9L normally aspirated engine from Ford is 23:1 and I am not sure if it is DI or IDI, but the valves are hydraulically self adjusting and my mechanic doesn't even recommend naphtha purging of the IP and injectors. Except for fluids, filters, topping up at each fill up and the seasonal biocide application I am almost at a DIY loss! LoL I do add 1/10th of one percent of 91% isopropyl alcohol to the tank to dewater and am known to add 2-5% pure gum turpentine or varnish makers and painters naptha to the tank, but that is all the "experimenting" I have done so far.

Am hoping my encouragement of friends to start a kettle chip and fry cook business will aid in my endeavors.

Best.

Comment

Re: hello

Yes, Ford does sell the F series trucks in Australia, but few people on this forum have those vehicles.

Have a look around and search for F250, F350 etc.

Try Gogle if you want full search facilities on this forum.

Regards,
        Tony
        ps, Because you are putting links into your posts, they are being moderated. Hence, I am the first to see them as I have to authorise the posts which are moderated.
        It would be easier for both of us, if you refrain from adding links to your posts until you have at least 10 posts.
        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Originally posted by mixelpix View Post
          6 I do add 1/10th of one percent of 91% isopropyl alcohol to the tank to dewater and am known to add 2-5% pure gum turpentine or varnish makers and painters naptha to the tank, but that is all the "experimenting" I have done so far.
          Best.
          Good to hear what happens over there. However I am mystified as to why you do the above. Surely it would be safer to fit a water trap if your vehicle doesn't have one. Strangely a lot of newer vehicles don't.
          Johnnojack
          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnojack View Post
            I am mystified as to why you do the above. Surely it would be safer to fit a water trap if your vehicle doesn't have one.
            Certainly a water trap is a prudent measure stock or aftermarket, however, it does little to dewater what is actually in the tank, just what is on its way to the pump. Why is water in the tank such a problem if it will get filtered en route? In seaside climates or anywhere the daily low/high temps pass the dew point a tank which is not pressure vented and/or ~3/4 full has a lot of surface area for moisture condensation. This is the leading factor is the malignent growth of cladosporium resinae - the "fuel fungus" - which can bugger your whole fuel system experience. A regular semi-annual biocide treatment aids in prevention - especially w/marine Diesels.

PGT raises cetane and has been fleet tested to verify the beneficial aspects of adding 2-5% - buncha Lithuanians had some comprhensive researched published a while back.

VM&P naphtha is a dryer fuel - more like jet fuel w/o additives than ULSD. I normally only use it for a diesel injector purge - plumbing the send/return into a liter container and running through a warm engine while varying the throttle cleans out a lotta carbon deposit.

Best

Comment

Hello Stateside, just a tip for getting old oil, I drop clean drums at outlets and pick up full ones every week. Everyones happy. Same time and polished drums(snaptops) with a smile and a thank you. Alot of small places have good oil and trouble getting rid of it. No special trips, do it on shopping day.

Comment

Hello there. I am Ranjan, currently living in one of the prettiest countries in asia. Sri Lanka

Comment

Working...
                X