Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frytol

Hi all,
    I have done a mini batch (DrPepper) with frytol, after heating it for water removal. I got a settling with 10%bio, 10% white stuff and 80% gloop. Is it possible to use Frytol to make bio, without being too much harder than liquid oil? What are the tricks involved?
    thanks!

Re: frytol

Hello spud

Use the same procedure as any other oil.
    What was the titration

Tilly

Comment

I didnt do one, just used as recommended for Dr Pepper. I'll try a titration on it, but it is pretty confusing as there seem to be so many different explanations. Also need to get some scales for weighing. I thought though that to have this result, would be caused by something obvious like too much or not enough of something?

Comment

Hello Spud

The likely cause is high titration oil or too much water in the reaction.
        Other problems may be too much NaOH, Not enough NaOH Not enough Methanol.

Tilly

Comment

hi i get oil from a couple of sources.
          from one i get frytol,solid wont pour etc. So i put it to one side until a hot summer day[storage room not a problem for me]then i stand it all in the sun and make big batches of bio late afternoon when its liquid

Comment

For a second batch, I heated it up to 120deg to dewater, then waited til it got to 55degree before adding the methoxide. Still ended up with about 10%bio only. Where can I get a set of small scales for measuring the Sodium Hydroxide accurately?
            What sort of condition is your frytol in? mine is a light caramel colour.

Comment

Hello Spud

Frytol starts off white.

Dick smith has good eloctronic scales accurate to 0.1g for under $100.

For the easiest method of titrating you can not beat the World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend)

Tilly

Comment

The frytol I get is a very light caramel colour when you dig into it but fairly white on the top usually, although it always has a lot of settled out crap on the bottom.

I got a number of tins and scraped out the top layer above the grits and then put all the remainder which I left plenty of fat on in a frytol tin with about 5L of water and boiled it all vigorously for about half an hour. The next day when it had cooled and settled, all the fat was clean and the rubbish had settled out into the water layer.

A test reaction was done with this fat and it converted with no problems at all.

Comment

tryed a 3rd batch.
                  heated to 120deg til it stopped spitting, cooled to under 60 then did 2 titrations on it and got the same result 4 mils titration fluid=9gr sodium hydroxide and 250ml methanol.
                  Did it all, mixed etc and now I have got 20% quite dark bio on top, 60% looks like sludge in middle and 10% very dark liquid on the bottom.

any clues from anyone?
                  I have previously done 2 successful batches with new oil.

Comment

Can you post a picture?

Tilly

Comment

how do you post it? it asks for a URL to post it?

Comment

Spud,
                        What you could do, is to post your photo onto a photo hosting site, and link the image into your post on this forum.
                        For example, I have several photos posted on www.photobucket.com. These are located at:
                        http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...%20Exchangers/

To post an image of the photo into my post, I enter the URL into the post, using [img] [/img] tags, like
                        {img}http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d149/tonywestoz/Fatmobile/TonyFatmobile.gif{/img}
                        to display
                        Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                        '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                        '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                        '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                        '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                        '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                        '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                        '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                        '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                        '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                        '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                        '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                        '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                        Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

If you leave it out in the sun for a couple of days it will settle out.
                          You may have let it get to cold after mixing in the methoxide, which means that its not mixed properly or you could have a good mix but it has gelled before it could settle out.
                          Cheers
                          Maxwell

Comment

I put the mix in a bucket of warm water over night to keep the reaction going.
                            The last lot I tried adding another 50 mls of methoxide and it is total sludge now. Would need to push it into the engine with a stick to get it in there!
                            here is a link to the photos (I think!)
                            http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...odiesel003.jpg
                            http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...odiesel002.jpg
                            http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...odiesel001.jpg

Comment

Looks like a water problem, it looks like soap.
                              Check your methanol it may have water in it.
                              Cheers
                              Maxwell

Comment

Working...
                              X