Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! with alternative fuels thesis

Hi there everybody.

I'm new to this forum and have a limited experience with the use of SVO in diesel engines. My experience does include however the running of my university’s (The Australian Maritime College) test engine on canola oil. It ran fine without any problems and I received some very good data from the emissions testing equipment for comparison with standard diesel and Biodiesel, which I have also tested.

My question to the general SVO using community is does anybody have any long term experience with using SVO, especially in heavy-duty applications like trucks or boats for example??

I ask as part of my thesis work is to include some information on SVO in heavy duty applications and its long term effects on engine wear and performance and so far I am having a bit of trouble finding decent, well proven or cited literature on the subject.

If anyone has any good literature on the topic, or could direct me as to where I could find some, then I would be forever grateful.

Many thanks

gcm

Re: Help! with alternative fuels thesis

Welcome to the forum gcm.
    We can only do it tegether.

I will send you a private mail as that would prevent spamsters from doing what they do.

Very keen to know the results of your tests which you could share with us in the forum.

Cheers
    Sauman

Comment

giday gcm,
      I am thinking of converting a prime mover, my f250 has a 7.3 lt international motor in it, these engines come out in trucks and buses in the u.s.a, the powerstroke motor is a perfect design for v.o because the fuel doesn't go into the injector pump just high pressure sump oil.

A b/double will use 1200 lt on a round trip from brisbane to sydney costing around $1,500, if youre paying $400 for 1200lt of v.o you will save $1,100 each trip, times that by 3 trips for the week and thats $3,300, times that by 50 trips for the year and thats $165,000, times that by 10 trucks and thats $1,650,000 saving, the more kms traveled the more money saved.
      cheers mark
      aussie bloke
      Last edited by aussie bloke; 10 September 2006, 09:17 PM.
      2003 F250 powerstroke 100,000km
      3 cly deutz diesel
      2 cly deutz diesel
      1994 2.8lt hilux 50,000km

Comment

Thanks for replying so promptly. Much appreciated.

Thats great news that you're considering changing a heavy load engine to vegetable oil aussie bloke. I'd love to keep in touch with how the engine responds to the change over and whether any extra servicing is needed or any precautions are taken to ward off piston ring sticking problems and also am i correct in saying that injector coking can be a problem after some time??

Have you decided to change over because a mate has done so with a similarly high loaded application? Do you know of anybody that has been running SVO in a prime mover for any extended periods of time?

The dollar saving you calculated with a change over is significant. I'm beginning to wish i owned a diesel car so i could test out some of these options in my spare time!

Cheers

gcm

Comment

Originally posted by Sauman
          Welcome to the forum gcm.
          We can only do it tegether.

I will send you a private mail as that would prevent spamsters from doing what they do.

Very keen to know the results of your tests which you could share with us in the forum.

Cheers
          Sauman
          Cheers for the reply Sauman.

Please feel free to email me directly as any help or information on SVO will be great. Technical papers would be a massive help if you have access to any...

There is still a little bit of playing around with my results before they are in a form that will be useful. But i can tell you that the weighted average for the NOx values for canola oil came out very favorably. The overall value was only very slightly higher than Diesel and significantly lower than biodiesel.

Thanks again and i look forward to your email

Comment

giday all,
            There is a bloke in the u.s runing a prime mover around the country, he has restaurants lined up on his runs and i believe he has done 100,000 miles.
            If you change over to vo when the engine is hot and the fuel is hot there should be no coking of the injectors providing you completly purge all the vo from the system before shuting down.
            cheers mark
            2003 F250 powerstroke 100,000km
            3 cly deutz diesel
            2 cly deutz diesel
            1994 2.8lt hilux 50,000km

Comment

gcm, I look forward to reading the thesis.

There is some info that may help you at http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html#1tank
              and lots of links to previous University research etc.

I think it was there that I read about the Iodine Values of plant oils and their relationship to the suitability of that oil as a fuel for long-term use without engine damage.
              1990 LN106 Hilux - Currently planning 2-tank system

Comment

Cheers guys.

All great help. Thesis should be finished in a few weeks. It's all getting a bit rushed but i hope that it will provide some good comparisons on the emissions of biofuels compared to petrodiesel.

gcm

Comment

Working...
                X