Wanting to run Methanol in my 2 stroke jet ski

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanting to run Methanol in my 2 stroke jet ski

I'm currently running Av gas (aviation fuel) in my Yamaha 2 stroke, two cylinder, 200psi compression, 50:1 mix ratio (synthetic 2 stroke oil) stand up watercraft. I would like to run Methanol, as i do in my sons racing go kart. The performance gain in the go kart is awesome, and I would think the performance gain would be similar in the 2 stroke watercraft.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Wanting to run Methanol in my 2 stroke jet ski

I would be very surprised if you didnt significantly shorten the useable life of your motor by running it on Methanol. I would also imagine that the drive train and propeller / jet / impeller (whatever you want to call it) wouldn't happily transfer a large increase in power to the water without protesting in some fashion. In a car if you want to slap a bigger motor in, you usually have to increase the size of the rest of the drive train (ie diff/s, gearbox etc), otherwise money noises will soon be heard.

You may get away with, and whether you do or not may depend on your riding / driving style. bet it blows up though if you dont make any mods.
    Captaincademan
    Last edited by Captaincademan; 25 March 2010, 10:13 PM. Reason: missed intent

Comment

You'd have to increase the size of the jets in the carby pretty radically as the energy content of methanol is about half that of petrol. So you'd need twice as much for the same performance.

This is of benefit to racers as the latent heat of evaporation of all that extra liquid reduces the inlet air temp quite significantly.

1 gallon of gasoline = 125,000 Btu
      1 gallon of ethanol = 84,400 Btu
      1 gallon of methanol = 62,800 Btu

The Fuel/air ratio would have to be reduced to 6.4:1 instead of 14.7:1

From Fuel/air ratio's of common fuels:

Gasoline: 14.7

Natural gas: 17.2

Propane: 15.5

Ethanol: 9

Methanol: 6.4

Hydrogen: 34

Diesel: 14.6

Not sure about the wisdom of using alcohol fuels for watercraft though, as ethanol and methanol are both hygroscopic.

Comment

maybe try a methanol, jetski, forum. This a is a diesel, engine, forum. :-)
        Do you really own one of these? http://www.m35a2.org/
        Last edited by joe; 26 March 2010, 02:22 AM. Reason: jibber jabber
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

I have read that one of the most effective ways to increase the performance of a 2 stroke motor is to tune the exhaust system properly. This is acheived by placing a reduction in exhaust pipe diameter at the correct distance from the exhaust port, thus utilising the return pressure wave to stop/slow down the flow through of fuel/air mix as it scavenges at each cycle. I have heard it said that is as nearly as effective as a turbo on a 4 stroke.

Comment

I really appreciate all the input. It was just a thought kickin around in my head. You are correct about the exhaust on a two stroke, I have an awesome exhaust set up. Don't think i'll try the methanol though, cause i have to much invested in the motor.
            Yes I do own two of the M35A2's Deuce and a half. One has the winch and the other with out. Both running on diesel. And I also have two of the MEP-003a 10 kw diesel military generators. I'd really like to make my own bio diesel. I have access to all the cooking oil I could ever want, cause my brother has a restaurant. Any suggestions

Comment

yambro,
              I suggest that you have a read on the Making Biodiesel section here and also at the Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial website.

When you have learned how to make biodiesel, come back and ask questions..

Best wishes,
              Tony
              Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
              '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
              '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
              '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
              '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
              '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
              '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
              '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
              '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
              '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
              '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
              '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
              '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
              Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Thanks for the guidence. I've been reading up like crazy. And still reading. I really do appreciate all the help.

Comment

How are you going to make your methanol, wouldnt ethanol be easier? If you werent going to perhaps you are in the wrong forum.... (jetskiforum.com may have the info you are after)
                  Captain Echidna
                  Last edited by Captain Echidna; 27 March 2010, 08:05 AM.
                  cheers<BR>Chris.<BR>1990 landcruiser 80, 1HD-T two tank, copper pipe HE+ 20 plate FPHE, toyota solenoids and filters. 1978 300D, elsbett one tank system.<BR>

Comment

Thank's for all the responce

No I didn't mean to confuse anyone. I'm not wanting to make methanol...
                    I originally asked about running methanol in my ski (off topic area).
                    I was drawn to this site for the biodiesl factor. In hopes of running bio diesel in my M35A2, tractor, gen, ect. I wish my land cruiser was a diesel, but dont see those to much here in the states.
                    thanks
                    Gary

Comment

Working...
                    X