Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soc wants one of these!

Browser Warning

I nearly bought one one the weekend but it didn't quite meet expectations.

Now I'm obsessed.

Unfortunately you can't import them anymore or I'd be doing just that!

Re: Soc wants one of these!

Hey Soc, I have a 93 surf and have had it for about 18 months. It is a SSRG 3.0 litre.

If you are interested in buying one then you should spend a bit of time reading about them on the Australian Surf forums.

They are a pretty good car (and go great on a vegoil blend) and straight vegoil

You definitely want the 3.0 litre - the 2.4 is underpowered and suffers from cracking the head

If you can find a manual (good luck on that) then they are the best to get - the autos have overheating problems - with no definitive answer - but seems to be related to the auto transmission and issues with the lock up converter putting too much heat into the radiator. It is a big issue in the hot months - when i have great diffiiculty towing any sort of load or even going up some extended hills at high speed.

They are also pigs in terms of fuel efficiency - my first motor got on average 7Km/L now i am seeing closer to 6KM/L after replacing the motor with a 2nd hand one (blew a piston) - they only have a small fuel tank - around 65 litres - so you do not get much further than 400KM.

I have fitted a marine tank under the back which is used fro straight WVO and holds 120 litres - very tight fit) so much better long distance now.

Note that not many of them came with a rear wheel carrier - so the spare is mounted underneath and you therefore do not have an option of a 2nd tank - you can however replace the stock tank with a longer range one (but exxy - around the $700 mark)

They have nearly Zero room for anything under the bonnet - real tight place to work.

Feel free to ask any questions

Craig
    Holden Suburban K2500 1998 6.5L Turbo GM engine
    210,000KMs (90,000 on new crate motor)

Currently 2 tanks in and working - 90 litre BIO tank and main tank of 160L WVO

30 plate FPHE in Engine bay and Helton Dual coil in rear
    Walbro FRB-5 pusher pumps x 2

50,000KM on Veg and 10,000Km on B100

Comment

Hey thanks for this reply Craig. Much appreciated.

I've been after a surf for years. The only reason I bought the hilux I have now is because it had only done 72K when I bought it and was in immaculate condition.

It has served me well for the last 3 years but our lifestyles have changed. We now carry around a small retro van (700kg tare). I think it is downright dangerous to be carting this with a 2.8L hilux. I'm talking 40km/h up hills!!

It also takes hours to get somewhere that should only take half the time.

I was going to upgrade to a cruiser and still might. But, they are overpriced due to demand. The surfs on the other hand, are not.

I would only go a 3rd gen surf. I know a bit about them. I am on the toyota surf forum. (look for Socrates).

This morning a 1998 surf came online. It looked unreal. Unfortunately it was no longer online by lunchtime.

best wishes, Socrates.

Comment

why not transplant your engine with the 1KZTE engine. Whats the availability like?
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Originally posted by joe View Post
          why not transplant your engine with the 1KZTE engine. Whats the availability like?
          I know a bloke who did exactly this.(On the overlander forum). I have thought of the same thing but it is quite expensive.

Comment

I have a 1994 3.0 turbo diesel SSRG. I had a replacement engine for $5K after the head blew, obtain from a place in Brisbane with <70k km on it. I also had the radiator changed as the auto fluid pipe blocks most of the radiator outlet port, which it is said causes the problem. I added an extra auto fluid cooler which came off a commodore from the scrap yard. I have also visited the local gas converter and got a rear tank from a Prado for free to use as an extra reserve as has been said the main tank is way too small.

Great car, shame Toyota got the grey imports stopped, or so they say.

Comment

I refer to this one: 1999 TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-G WIDE BODY Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au

I'd sure appreciate some comments/opinions/advice here folks. There's a beer or two in it for you. (Even if I have to drink it on your behalf! )

I rang the owner re: the vehicle above. He appeared quite honest and detailed about the vehicle. (As you can appreciate, I am a long way from it so cannot inspect easily.) He basically offered the following information in addition to what is on the site:

* 8 1/2 out of 10 interior and exterior about the same. A few blemishes but nothing significant.

* There is oil around the starter motor when he took it off. He is going to get this checked.

* Mechanic advises that injector pump be "tuned." Nothing urgent and apparently not that difficult - it seems to be blowing more smoke than normal when you gun it even though it has new injectors.

* Will have new brakes and RWC vic.

* Tyres are Ok (I'll be changing them anyway if I buy it.)

* Timing belt done 40K ago.

* Has service history since he has owned it but said he could put me in touch with the importer if need be.

Anyway. He is sending me a video of the vehicle soon. I need to make a decision and not sure whether to put in an offer under the condition that the starter motor and IP be looked at and hope for the best, leave it or go down on the long weekend and hope it hasn't been sold for an inspection.

Many thanks! Soc

Comment

One item I was told is that there should be a number stamped into the bar which travels across the top of the radiator on the drivers side. If this bar is replaced due to the vehicle having a bingle the number will be missing.

Looks like a good car, can you get me one!

I have thought about the intercooler, the Australian Surf owners site has the instructions on fitting them but I am not that game.

I travel to Canberra to see my cousin so may hold you to the beer!

Comment

Originally posted by Surf Diesel View Post
                  One item I was told is that there should be a number stamped into the bar which travels across the top of the radiator on the drivers side. If this bar is replaced due to the vehicle having a bingle the number will be missing.

Looks like a good car, can you get me one!

I have thought about the intercooler, the Australian Surf owners site has the instructions on fitting them but I am not that game.

I travel to Canberra to see my cousin so may hold you to the beer!
                  I'll cool one down for you - all I need to do is put it outside for 5 seconds!!

By the way, are these indirect injection?

Comment

[QUOTE=Socrates;46526]I refer to this one: 1999 TOYOTA HILUX SURF SSR-G WIDE BODY Private Cars For Sale in VIC - carsales.com.au

* There is oil around the starter motor when he took it off. He is going to get this checked.
                    This could mean the rear engine seal is leaking, nowhere else for the oil to come from there.

Mechanic advises that injector pump be "tuned." Nothing urgent and apparently not that difficult - it seems to be blowing more smoke than normal when you gun it even though it has new injectors.
                    Need to find out color of smoke, if it is blue then motor could be clapped out. Video of exhaust with engine running with foot flat to the floor for a whole minute will show this up.
                    Many thanks! Soc
                    Johnnojack
                    4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
                    Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X