Diesel diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diesel diagnosis

I have a 1990 Mazda 626 and have put in a naturally asperated engine of the same year. 2.0l. 4 things worst first.
    1. embarrassing lots of grey smoke. Clean paper held over exhaust for about a minute reveals droplets of moisture only no black carbon. moisture dries to nothing. Engine is warm (fan comes on).
    2. Hard to start when cold. I get it going with aerostart. restarts OK when warm
    3. when returning to idle after reving, stalls but will restart.
    4 idle screw wound right in to achieve idle.
    injectors have been swapped with old motor (3 out 0f 4) injectors changed if carbon pattern around nozzle was irregular. Best pattern was small circle of carbonaround nozzle diameter about 3mm
    Any advice out there? I'm happy to get someone to look at it but I don't know who to go to and who to trust in SA.

Re: Diesel diagnosis

I had a Mazda Capella of that year which I ran for a long time on cooking oil.
    Does yours have the Pressure Wave Supercharger? No, now I see you have stated "Naturally Aspirated"

Is the cloth on the exhaust when engine and exhaust are hot? Otherwise, condensation from a cold exhaust could be the cause of the droplets.
    What fuel are you using? This engine will not start well on >25% veggie oil, even when in good condition.
    Have you done a compression test? This will tell you about the condition of the rings and valve seats. If low compression, have someone do a "Leak Down Test" to identify if rings, inlet or exhaust valves are the cause. Valves are relatively cheap to re-seat.
    Are there any fuel leaks from the engine? Fuel leaking out can indicate where air can leak in. Put clear hose on return line from IP, so you can see air in the return line.

Note: a compression tester for petrol engine will be damaged if used on diesel engine.

Regards,
    Tony
    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
    '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
    '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
    '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
    '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
    '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
    '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
    '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
    '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
    '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
    '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
    Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Even before the compression test I would have a look at the cam belt and make sure the timing is right, they can come lose and jump a tooth partially if the engine has been rotated backwards which can happen on installation or removal of the engine. as Tony says air leaks on the fuel lines, Fuel filter, air filter, rags stuffed inside the manifold, or the exhaust Some Mazda engines break the cam bearings but you would probably hear that. Make sure the marks on the injector pump are lined up too. Are there bubbles in the coolant when the engine is running?, which could indicate a head, head gasket or liner come lose. Lots of things to check.
      good luck with it.

Comment

check the glow plug relay is sending 12volts for at least 5 seconds, check eack glow plug glows. Also check the filters aren't blocked as well as sucking air. There may be a gauze filter in the IP itself on the intake pipe.
        Last edited by joe; 12 October 2010, 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling
        Joe Morgan
        Brisbane Biodiesel Site Admin
        http://www.brisbanebiodiesel.com

Searching tips using Google - SVO Dual tank systems
        SVO, Common Rail and Direct Injection - Vehicles converted to Used Cooking Oil

Comment

Originally posted by Tony From West Oz View Post
          I had a Mazda Capella of that year which I ran for a long time on cooking oil.
          Does yours have the Pressure Wave Supercharger? No, now I see you have stated "Naturally Aspirated"

Is the cloth on the exhaust when engine and exhaust are hot? Otherwise, condensation from a cold exhaust could be the cause of the droplets.
          What fuel are you using? This engine will not start well on >25% veggie oil, even when in good condition.
          Have you done a compression test? This will tell you about the condition of the rings and valve seats. If low compression, have someone do a "Leak Down Test" to identify if rings, inlet or exhaust valves are the cause. Valves are relatively cheap to re-seat.
          Are there any fuel leaks from the engine? Fuel leaking out can indicate where air can leak in. Put clear hose on return line from IP, so you can see air in the return line.

Note: a compression tester for petrol engine will be damaged if used on diesel engine.

Regards,
          Tony
          Engine was at running temp (fan cut in). New timing belt I must recheck. Fuel is straight diesel at the moment. (Leave this with me for a couple of weeks. This was a pressure wave car but the current engine is from a grey import with 180,000 on the clock.

Thanks all
          Dave

Comment

Working...
          X