Engine start problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine start problems

I have a 1990 toyota hiace diesel 2.4l engine.

I have noticed lately that the fuel pressure drops after the engine is shut down for a few hours. To start the engine, I have to use the fuel filter pump to increase the fuel pressure, otherwise the engine does not start.

What could be the cause of this problem and how do I solve it. The problem is becoming increasingly worse.

Walt.

Re: Engine start problems

Hi Walt,

my first thoughts (although quite simplistic) would be that there is a major leak in the fuel system and the fuel is returning to the tank through gravity, maybe even setting up a siphon to empty the IP. if it is emptying the IP then the leak could be on either the return side of the IP or the filter side (if it is a return fuel line type - my knowledge of individual IP's is pretty limited) or if not then it would be either at the junction of the journal feeding the IP or at the fuel filter/lift pump. check for leaks first. easy way to check is to use a clear fuel line available at bunnings and replace all your flexible hose with this. bubbles will show up and highlite the problem. of course once fixed consider changing the fuel line back. having said this I have had my clear nylon fuel hose in for almost 12months now and there is no leaks from this hose.

the other blokes that know a lot more than me though will probably be closer to the mark.

hope you work it out.
    Captaincademan
    Last edited by Captaincademan; 22 October 2010, 03:14 PM. Reason: brain shart.

Comment

What fuel are you running? The injector pump has 2 plates one on each side on the lower part of the pump which have an o rings behind them. your one probabley has a cold start mechinsm on the side also. these o rings can leak and and empty the pump of fuel over time. Also the front seal can leak causing a similar problem. I would thoroughly clean everything and check for leaks. I also had a car once that would do the same thing if parked on a steep hill, front upwards.

Comment

SmithW:

The vehicle uses diesel fuel. As with your car, the problem I have is worse if the vehicle is parked on a hill - front upwards. Initially, I parked the vehicle front downwards and the problem disappeared for a while. Now, the problem occurs even after the vehicle is parked with the front facing downwards (but its worse if parked with the front facing upward).

Given that your diagnosis is correct (and the symptoms suggest so), how is this problem corrected?

Walt.

Comment

It sounds like a leak somewhere, or the fuel could be draining back into the tank. The first thing i would do is find out which one it is first. Got a couple of pairs of vice grips (locking pliers) ? find a good steep hill park front first and clamp the fuel lines on the injector pump so no fuel can run back into the tank. come back the next day and take the pliers off. see if the engine will start.
          If not you have got a leak on the injector pump somewhere. If it does start you may still have a problem with the pump letting in air and thus allowing fuel to run back into the tank, but this is proabley unlikely . It more likely to be an air leak somewhere else, such as a cracked hose, lose clamp or the oring on the bottom of the fuels filter water trap. If it were me the vans 20 years old give it a birthday replace all the rubber hoses and the water trap oring should only cost $20 for a meter or 2 of hose. There is also valves in the primer pump that prevent the fuel going backward It is worth the time to check them, as the can get stuck, or jammed with rubbish.
          If it turns out to be the injector pump, a replacement is going to cost lots$$ the seal and orings that are in the pump are only $20-$30 to buy and are not that difficult to replace yourself if you know your way around an engine, however I would not recommend you do it yourself if you have never repaired at least a cambelt or two.

Comment

Working...
          X