Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 Hilux TD

G'day all,

Just wondering if the new hilux will handle biodiesel.

Some may know about the "dealer only" fuel filter, which one of the 4x4 mags criticized as unsuitable for a "cape trip."

They suggested an inline filter upstream of the high tech filter, for added protection and user servicing.

How would that go with warranty?

Given the quality of petro diesel coming out of the bowser, let alone biodiesel, I thought a 296 setup with the water separator glass bowl would be a bit of xtra insurance.

Any suggestions?

Re: 2006 Hilux TD

Originally posted by vegehilux
    G'day all,

Just wondering if the new hilux will handle biodiesel.

How would that go with warranty?
    Well I have a new Holden Rodeo 4x4 Turbo which would be about the same type just a holden which is a 2005 model. I have run Biodiesel in that without a problem for most of the time I have had it.

Now onto warranty.

As far as I have been able to find from personal questions or doc's most of the australian diesel cars at THIS point don't approve the use of biodiesel at all or not above 5-10% Blend of Biodiesel.

Saying that I have personally taken the opinion that if something happens with the fuel system then the service centre or dealer will do what ever they can to say that you picked up a bad load of fuel and then deny the claim. It doesn't always happen but I have seen it happen and they push it back on the owner to chase the station were they filled up to try and claim.

So I have taken the view that using normal fossil diesel(dinodiesel) and getting a bad load is just as likley as getting a bad load of a blend at this point. I have at this moment taken to not filling up were we suspect a dodgy fuel and only fill on Biodiesel when I know were it comes from and the quality of the supplier. Saying that I don't mind running 100% biodiesel as it works and I personally think it is better for my engine than ULSD.
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Jacka
      Now onto warranty.

As far as I have been able to find from personal questions or doc's most of the australian diesel cars at THIS point don't approve the use of biodiesel at all or not above 5-10% Blend of Biodiesel.

Saying that I have personally taken the opinion that if something happens with the fuel system then the service centre or dealer will do what ever they can to say that you picked up a bad load of fuel and then deny the claim. It doesn't always happen but I have seen it happen and they push it back on the owner to chase the station were they filled up to try and claim.

So I have taken the view that using normal fossil diesel(dinodiesel) and getting a bad load is just as likley as getting a bad load of a blend at this point. I have at this moment taken to not filling up were we suspect a dodgy fuel and only fill on Biodiesel when I know were it comes from and the quality of the supplier. Saying that I don't mind running 100% biodiesel as it works and I personally think it is better for my engine than ULSD.
      The 'shift back to the owner' technic is not limited to fuel quality. THe same goes for oil, lack of maintenance and anything else that may alleviate the manufacturer's liability.
      How do you know manufacturers will refuse warranty with blends over 10%? Should VP have a sing on their pumps saying, "the use of this fuel will void your car's warranty" ?

Also, could you share your source of reliable biodiesel for everyday use, short of making it yourself or going to Newcastle?

Comment

Originally posted by Marc1
        How do you know manufacturers will refuse warranty with blends over 10%?
        Well that ones easy. Ford have already done it on a transit van that had an IP failure and they denied the claim based on the fact that it clearly states(their words) that Biodiesel is not to be used.

Originally posted by Marc1
        Also, could you share your source of reliable biodiesel for everyday use, short of making it yourself or going to Newcastle?
        Short of making or getting it from Rutherford your out of luck AT THIS POINT in time. Only place I get it now is rutherford when I or a family friend can get up their to get it! I had a bad taste left from VP so I won't fill from their again.
        Dave

Comment

Ok,

So let's assume that I'm using good bio.

I'll be more specific.

I've heard that in high pressure common rail systems, that bio can "polymerise"(?), causing fouling and damage. Any takers on that one?

Jacka, the Rodeo still runs the rotary type fuel pump and mechanical injectors, to the best of my knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong.

My questions on warranty were more related to installing an extra inline filter, before Toyotas new "high tech" one. Could someone help me with that?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Polymerisation occurs only where oxygen is present and it occurs when an oxygen atom combines with a carbon of 2 separate esters. This can only happen where there is a "double bond" or "triple bond" in the carbon/hydrogern string attached to the methyl header.

No oxygen = no polymerisation.
            Where is oxygen coming from in a Common Rail system?
            Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
            '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
            '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
            '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
            '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
            '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
            '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
            '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
            '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
            '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
            '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
            '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
            '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
            Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

Hi , My 2.8 Hilux 1989 runs like a clock on B100 from Biodiesel Ind Aus.
              No problems at all Rafe

Comment

G'day rafe,

So does my 95 hilux. It loves it.

Tony,

We have spoken on other forums, how's it going.

As I pointed out once before, I am not a chemist, I am a pipe fitter.

I am guessing that your answer/question is an endorsement of using bio in a common rail system. Could anyone else say if they've run bio in a new TD Hilux?

Anyone able to help with the question of installing a generic type fuel filter upstream of the factory hi tech one (please)?

Cheers.

Comment

It aint a hilux but it is a common rail injection system. I was also told that I could not use bio because of this, but I think it is crap. I have been using bio happily now for over a year and about 30,000kms. As long as the bio is good quality any diesel engine will take it.
                  If it wasn't the common rail, you'd find people telling you it is unsuitable because of the fact that it is turbocharged, or because it has a particulate filter or any other given reason that they can find at the time. I was originally told by Land Rover that the engine was "too highly tuned" to run biodiesel . My engine is a BMW engine with a proliferation of sensors and fancy electronics that give it great economy, but possibly less robustness. I think if anyone were to find an engine that they could say was not biodiesel compatible for any of the normal ridiculous reasons, mine would qualify.
                  Robert
                  Administrator
                  Last edited by Robert; 24 September 2006, 07:13 PM.
                  Robert.
                  Site Admin.

Comment

Originally posted by vegehilux
                    G'day rafe,

So does my 95 hilux. It loves it.

Tony,

We have spoken on other forums, how's it going.

As I pointed out once before, I am not a chemist, I am a pipe fitter.

I am guessing that your answer/question is an endorsement of using bio in a common rail system. Could anyone else say if they've run bio in a new TD Hilux?

Anyone able to help with the question of installing a generic type fuel filter upstream of the factory hi tech one (please)?

Cheers.
                    I recommend adding a cheap, disposable filter ahead of the stock filters in any vegoil or biodiesel fuelled vehicle. The ones I use cost me around $1.20 each. That is a significant saving on replacing the Stock Fuel FIlter.

The use of a CAV pattern fuel filter would be a greater initial cost, but given the large durface area of the flter element, the replacement costs of around $5.00 each could offset the initial cost of the filter assembly.
                    Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Previous Vehicles:
                    '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                    '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)

Comment

i bought new 3 litre direct injection navara 2 weeks ago and did 1500 ks from new then the car **** itself went back to the dealer he said bad fuel this car has only run on 100 biodiesel the car now has a new filter on it and still running on straight biodiesel now i am going to get a john deere tractor filter they filter down to 2 or 3 microns on there new tractors in australia because our fuel at the bowser is so bad and also farmers tend to leave tractors standing around could be for weeks if not months in all sorts of weather which diesel doesnt like i must add that i dont wash my fuel though just let it settlebefore i use it

Comment

Sean,
                        Exactly what did he say awas "bad" about the fuel?
                        Was the fix to just change the fuel filter?
                        Please provide more information.

If the filter was clogged with byproduct, you may need to either settle for longer, recover methanol from the biodiesel, or to commence washing. Any of the above can reduce the amount of byproduct which can accumulate in the fuel tank, and then the filters.

If he only changed the filter, and it was blocked with byproduct, then you may be well advised to drain your fuel tank to remove accumulated byproduct.

Previous Vehicles:

Comment

Sean,

When I say that there are absolutely no problems using biodiesel in any sort of diesel engine (common rail, direct injection etc) I am referring to biodiesel that meets a standard (such as ASTM). There are many people who use unwashed biodiesel with no problems and many people who use biodiesel that does not meet spec who have not had issues. If however, you want to be sure that you will have no problems (especially in a new car), then you need to make sure that your fuel meets a standard. The same applies to petro diesel as well.
                          Unfortunately, it gives biodiesel a bad name when word gets around that "biodiesel" caused a car to break. It was not "biodiesel" but bad biodiesel that did it. There are also many cases of bad petro diesel causing cars to break, but we don't hear too much about these as they are so commonplace and dino diesel has been around for so long that it merits little attention.

Please everyone, if you are going to use biodiesel, please do it in such a way to not ruin people's impression of it by using below standard biodiesel. The standard exists for a purpose and if you are meeting it, or above it, you will not have problems. Sorry to harp on about this one, but I think it is really important.
                          Robert.
                          Site Admin.

Comment

Sean,

I strongly urge you to wash your diesel, especially in a motor such as yours.

If you wash it 3-4 times, let it settle overnight, and then pump it through a filter into a drum, it will contain much less contaminants.

If you then heat it to about 50-60 degC, and bubble it vigorously until the air coming off it doesn't fog your sunnies, then seal the drum; you will find you have beautiful clear bio.

Would hate to see you stuff up your new pride and joy, and give bio a bad rap at the same time.

Only trying to help.

Comment

Hi I have been running my 200d TD hilux on biodiesel for the past 3 months. The only problem I have encountered was when I had to get dinodiesel from a small town and it caused the fuel filter light to come on. The filter was cavered in a black deposit which I susperct came from the dinodiesel. I am currently fitting a fleetgard filter and water trap before the Toyota filter to hopefully prevent this problem in future. In relation to warrenty, the owner manual states the vehicle uses diesel of octane rating 45 - 50. It does not state anything in relation to it be mineral diesel or biodiesel.
                              My vehicle has run exceptionally well . There are a few people out this way with 2006 hiluxs with bad black smoking issues. One individual in particular has definitly not used biodiesel yet he is having problems , so once again it probably relates to fuel quality.
                              Just as an aside apparently john deere tractors when delivered to Australia may have biodiesel in there tanks but John deere states in australia they not to be run on biodiesel.
                              It seems that so long as the fuel is of good quality there should be very little problem.

Will keep you informed of my vehicles progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X