PDA

View Full Version : Lower North Shore Biofuel Users Group

Cameron
26th September 2006, 04:52 PM
Hey folks,
there are a few of us local to the Lower North Shore and it would be cool to meet up with a few of the local crew for a beer or a coffee or to kick a few tyres or whatever.

I am in Cremorne and there are at least a couple pretty close to me.

Who else on here is from the Lower North Shore - you don't need to give too much detail if you don't want to...

Cheers,
Cameron
Cremorne

Gug
28th September 2006, 09:22 PM
G'day Cameron, does WPHills count? 'cause I'm always up for some tyre kickin' (bloody tyres).
Gug.

Peter
2nd October 2006, 10:58 AM
Hi Cameron,

Count me in for a drink or two! I will PM my contact details.

Peter

Cameron
4th October 2006, 10:19 AM
G'day Cameron, does WPHills count? 'cause I'm always up for some tyre kickin' (bloody tyres).
Gug.

Hey Gug,
I reckon you might be a bit closer to Robert's Western Sydney Group than me actually. I think WPHills might be a North Western Sydney Group rather than Lower North Shore ... but tyre kickers would of course be welcome and none more so than a fellow Land Rover sufferer/driver ....

Cheers,
Cameron

Cameron
4th October 2006, 10:23 AM
Hi Cameron,

Count me in for a drink or two! I will PM my contact details.

Peter

Cool Peter - got the PM thanks.

I am a bit flat stick with getting ready for a big trip to Tassie at the end of this month so I will have to see how I go for the beer/coffee ...

One of my jobs to do is fit the new biofuel heat exchanger unit that I have had for a while but been super busy with some unexpected electrical works on the car that I haven't been able to get to it. Hopefully just about have that sorted now ....

Cheers,
Cameron

magda
7th October 2006, 02:11 AM
Hi Cameron,
We're in Epping and happy to catch up with you all. Seems closer than Western Sydney group (?)
Magda

Cameron
9th October 2006, 02:39 PM
Hi Magda,
OK when we get together I guess we can make it a bit of a free for all and perhaps we can look at setting up a Northern or North West Sydney local group too.

Cheers,
cameron

Hookey
20th October 2006, 06:40 PM
G'day all,
I'm at Macquarie Park (North Ryde), so I might almost "sneak in" to a lower north shore group :rolleyes: ...

Cheers,
Jim

Cameron
22nd October 2006, 04:06 AM
Hi Lower North Shore crew,
Is anybody in this area keen on some biodiesel?

I have access to some spare ... please pm me if you want it.

Cheers,
Cameron

Milhouse
22nd October 2006, 04:59 AM
I am in Frenchs Forest and I am always up for a beer or two. I heard that it keeps the methanol fumes at bay!!!

Let me know of the details.

Cya
Greg

Cameron
5th December 2006, 12:50 PM
OK guys I am back from holidays touring around Tassie.

So rather than saying who is up for a catch up again let's ask where - on the lower north shore - would be a good place for us to catch up?

Do we want a park for a family friendly BBQ or do we want to go to a pub for a few cold ones or do we want to go somewhere and kick some tyres?

Cheers,
Cameron, Cremorne.

Natbio
11th December 2006, 04:06 PM
Cameron,

Im in Neutral Bay.
Big on beers and biodiesel.
Count me in.

Peter
13th December 2006, 09:18 AM
Cameron,

A visit to The Oaks or similar sounds good.

Cameron
14th December 2006, 10:09 AM
The Oaks would be good (but always crowded) but I am thinking of somewhere that we could maybe get some parking not too far away too in case people want to do a little bit of tyre kicking.

I will get back to you shortly with another idea if I can think of one and those that want to come can decide which they would prefer - otherwise of course the Oaks is a great pub.

Cheers,
Cameron

Cameron
15th December 2006, 08:39 PM
OK so here is another idea - how about the Middle Harbour 16ft Skiff Club or the Middle Harbour Yacht Club?

Good views especially for a balmy Summer evening, plenty of parking across the road to allow for any necessary tyre kicking and presumably club drink prices and food as well?

Anyone got any first hand experience at either of these venues?

Cheers,
Cameron
Cremorne

Cameron
13th February 2007, 11:27 AM
OK so this never quite happened ... so let's get it back on the boil should we?

The last suggestions (from me) were:

Middle Harbour Yacht Club
Middle Harbour Yacht Club (http://www.mhyc.com.au/)

They have the following entertainment booked:
Live Music- 25th Feb Sunday Afternoon - Bernie Segedin 2:30 - 5:30pm

or

Middle Harbour 16ft Skiff Club
Middle Harbour 16ft Skiff Club (http://www.middleharbourskiffs.com.au/homepage.htm)

Anyone got any experience with these or check out the websites and indicate which one you would prefer. Once we have got a few in favour of one we will just go for it.

Maybe we could tentatively aim for Sunday 25th Feb for a couple of hours by the harbour for a meet/catchup and a little bit of tyre kicking for those keen?

Cheers,
cameron
Cremorne

Cameron
18th February 2007, 05:03 PM
OK since no one has responded in about a week I am going to drop the idea for a while.

Just come along to the Sydney Biodiesel BBQ on 11th March - see you there.

Cheers,
Cameron

Natbio
20th March 2007, 05:43 PM
Ladies and Gents,
Im with Cameron.
If we can get a crew together for something, maybe down at the park opposite the Flying Yacht Squadron, in Kirribilli. Cheap beers and good food, no BBQ facilities but we can sort that out.
Would be good to get at least 10-20 people out there, good family atmosphere and hopefully some good quality Soybiodiesel.
Hope all are well..

Peter
21st March 2007, 08:58 AM
Good location - count me in!

Suzy
22nd March 2007, 12:10 PM
Having just picked up (yesterday) a shiny new Pug 307 with 1.6l HDi motor, I'm very keen on running on biodiesel (once I've used up the petrodiesel that it came filled with). I note the service info that came with the car put a limit of B30 though, so I guess that'd have to be as far as I go until the warranty runs out.

I'm in Lane Cove, so Kirribilli sounds fantastic to me.

Natbio
23rd March 2007, 10:21 AM
B30
Its a start
I have just had the first service on my Golf TDi and I mentioned the Biodiesel issue with the service team.
This is how the conversation went:
Natbio "Whats this about Biodiesel? I dont know much about it. Can I use Biodiesel?"
VW "No! Do not use any form of Biodiesel."
Natbio "I have not used Biodiesel, but Im worried that if I buy Caltex diesel, which is 5% Biodiesel out of Newcastle it will void my warranty? Can I not use Caltex diesel then?"
VW "We recommend BP"
Natbio "I heard they are blending tallow (un-transesterfied) with their diesel in the Bulwer Refinery QLD"
VW "Look, the components are different in Australian engines, and Biodiesel is not recommended"
Now I have been using blends from B10-B100 from day one. The service report came back 100%.
I have a customer who has been using B100 in his E Class Mercedes, and he has told me that the car runs better, smoother and cleaner. He loves it! He also owns a major truck fleet (Volvo) along the eastern seaboard and the trucks have been using the same Biod and have not experienced any problems.
If quality Biodiesel is available, you won't have a problem running higher blends.
Good luck with the new car.
Look forward to meeting with you and hopefully another 100 Biodiesel fanatics down in Kirribilli someday.
Friends and family are always welcome to.

Cameron
28th March 2007, 11:03 PM
OK Flying Yacht Squadron sounds cool but I have just had a realisation when I went to the web to find out about it....

Many of us will live within 5 km of ANY club of this nature that we may choose. This introduces membership sign in issues for us.

I will have a go wherever but maybe we had better think about going back to the pub option unless one of us is a member and will happily sign the rest of us in?

Cheers,
Cameron
still on the Lower North Shore ....

Peter
1st April 2007, 01:59 PM
Cameron,

If no one in the forum is a member of the Flying Squdron, I can try and press-gang my daughter into coming along and doing the honours - she is a member. This could lead into bringing along a number of her friends who might be interested in biodiesel on boats.

Cameron
5th April 2007, 09:38 PM
Hi Peter,
That sounds like a great idea.

Seems to me we should pick a date when we KNOW that your daughter would be prepared to come along to make sure that the rest of us can get in too!

Can you ask her for us please?

Is a Sunday OK for everyone? (I am house hunting so Saturdays are out for me ...)

Sunday 29 April?

Cameron

Peter
13th April 2007, 10:45 AM
Cameron,

The 29th sounds good. Let's see how many local biodiesel enthusiasts we can get to turn up!

Suzy
13th April 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm good for the 29th.

Cameron
13th April 2007, 07:54 PM
Coolio.

Three people is a round of drinks.

Lock it in!

Now we just need to make sure that Peter's daughter turns up!

12 noon?

Cameron

Peter
19th April 2007, 10:55 AM
12 noon on the 29th - it is in the diary! In my household that means it has priority over anything that may arise and clash.... it is not even my rule!

Suzy
19th April 2007, 12:53 PM
Fantastic. I've arranged for our calendar to be marked.

Is there likely to be any B100 available there? If so, I can probably fit half a dozen 20 litre fuel containers across the boot...

Speaking of which, I'm interested in people's thoughts on containers. 20 litres is probably a convenient size. I was thinking of going with the Rheem ones, like:

http://www.haigh.com.au/phpThumb/phpThumb.php?src=/images/ProductImages/FC20Y.jpg&w=170&h=200&maxb=10000&bw=0&bc=FF0000&bg=FFFFFF

Robert
19th April 2007, 02:31 PM
I've put it in this calendar here (http://www.biofuelsforum.com/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=57&day=2007-4-29) too.
I'll try to make it on the day.

Peter
19th April 2007, 04:01 PM
Suzy,

I don't believe there will be any biodiesel available for sale on the 29th, but I my be wrong!

I bought some 20 litre black plastic jerry cans from Whitworths in Crows Nest, also made by Rheem, for $39.90 each. I think this is expensive, but they do seem to be good quality, have double openings and come with a non-drip spout. 5 and 10 litre sizes are also available, ideal if you like to keep a few spare litres in the boot.

I think the yellow one you showed might be more appropriate for biodiesel!

Suzy
25th April 2007, 04:35 PM
I just picked up a bunch of "Pro Quip" Jerry cans from Bunnings. They're 20 litres, bright yellow plastic, and made for diesel. They come with breather thingies and a pouring spout. Best of all, they're reduced from $52 to $23, at least until the weekend.

Natbio
26th April 2007, 01:22 PM
Hope everyone is looking forward to Sunday
Are we having brews and food in the Club?
Looking forward to seeing everyone.
Ray

Cameron
27th April 2007, 04:52 AM
I am still up for it and am looking forward to catching up with people.

Did we discuss where we would be meeting so that we can get signed in?

I don't really know the place too well so I don't have any suggestions. Peter? Ray?

Cheers,
Cameron

Suzy
27th April 2007, 09:13 AM
I'm also still keen.

I think there's a park opposite, where we could meet. I've just put a thumping big "powered by BIODIESEL" sticker on the back of my car (from Biodiesel stickers, custom decals, biodiesel decals and promotional items, graphic and web design (http://www.needasticker.com)), so the car at least will be readily identifiable.

Natbio
27th April 2007, 10:07 AM
its pretty casual.. good staff, good veiw..
i dont think they do lunch menus on a sunday though..
will that be a problem?

Cameron
27th April 2007, 10:27 AM
OK 12 noon in the park across the road.

See folks there

Peter
28th April 2007, 11:28 AM
Hi everyone,

Also confirming I will be there - with a membership card! The opening hours on Sundays are 11am-9pm for the bar, and 12noon - 3pm for lunch. Cost of meals is roughly $12-$24.

See you in the park at noon!

Cameron
29th April 2007, 04:37 PM
Well, we came we saw, we conquered. Drinks were consumed, lunch was had, the park and the Club itself were nice and an all round good time was had by all. The conversation as always was peppered with biodiesel but also covered other humerous or informative topics.

Solid gold ingots were provided to each of us who attended (6 in all) but we have been sworn to never show them to anyone from this forum nor to ever mention it again.

If you want yours you will simply have to come along to the next catch up where I am sure that you will find our generous and secret benefector will be once again rewarding us for making the effort to turn up for a restful Sunday lunchtime overlooking the world class Sydney Harbour.

The only downsides were that we couldn't work out the member sign in process too easily (not that this even remotely mattered in the end) and that the vego meal was a lot closer to a bowl of wedges than I had hoped. Meanwhile the steaks and whopping great beef pies in bowls looked delicious. Shame I am a vego!

Ray might have thought that the hangover he was sporting might have counted as a downside too ...

Cameron

Suzy
29th April 2007, 05:44 PM
Aye - 'twas good to be able to put faces to names, and great hearing about the Illabunda stuff. I look forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Suzy

Robert
30th April 2007, 11:21 AM
Yes, it was good to see you all there too. Let's get together for another event somewhere soon.

Oh, and Suzy, that sticker on the back of your Pug looks great!

Cheers,

antpadgem
11th August 2008, 05:35 PM
Also in FF and always willing to chew the fat over a can, however, I want to at least complete my first batch...........so that I can have some experiences to talk about! Cheers

300TDT
9th January 2012, 09:36 AM
Hi all
This group still active?
I'm most interested in WVO but don't have the space to set anything up at moment.
Keen to buy biodiesel locally if available.
Cheers.

antpadgem
11th January 2012, 03:48 PM
I still look from time to time. I have now sold my Bio-beast and bought a something that I would be too scared to put Bio in. I will be selling my apparatus. This includes:
•300lt copper hot water service with element. This heats up the oil to approx 60deg. Works well and probably worth a fortune in just copper.
•Pump: this can transfer waste oil to the main reactor as well as circulating the oil/mixing with methanol/Sodium Hydroxide
•Timber stand
•All the plumbing
•44 gallon steel drum for collecting waste vegetable oil
•Two large barrels for washing the biodiesel
•Tub and pump for drying biodeisel
•44 gallon drum with about 40 litres of methanol
• If I can find them, my instruction manual and notes
•Tritation kit which includes electronic micro scales, alcohol…. Everything
•Lots more
I had a lot of fun for 4 years experimenting and creating good fuel. I was fortunate to have good quality waste oil supplied by our local Thai restaurant and I figure I must have made over 10000 litres of diesel. I averaged at 23 cents per litre. I ran from Sydney to Ayres Rock whilst towing a caravan all on Bio (before running out and moving to conventional diesel).

Pickup is Frenchs Forest which is on the north side of Sydney. PM me if you are interested