Blending MEK with vegetable oil to make Diesel Fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blending MEK with vegetable oil to make Diesel Fuel

Video: Making vegetable oil blend Diesel Fuel (VOBDF) by blending MEK with WVO
    YouTube - Blending MEK with vegetable oil to make Diesel Fuel

Re: Blending MEK with vegetable oil to make Diesel Fuel

WP: Butanone, also known as methyl ethyl ketone or MEK, is an organic compound with the formula CH3C(O)CH2CH3. This colorless liquid ketone has a sharp, sweet odor reminiscent of butterscotch and acetone. It is produced industrially on a large scale, and also occurs in trace amounts in nature. It is soluble in water and is commonly used as an industrial solvent

Comment

The point of my experiment and the video is simply to demonstrating that MEK will dissolve readily into WVO. It is purely of academic interest and is in no way an attempt to encourage its use or recommend its use over petroleum distillates.

The point is, making diesel fuel out of waste oils is a form of recycling. There is no reason why the solvents used to thin WVO or WMO need not also be recycled, and it is conceivable that someone may come across some recycled MEK and consider using it as a solvent for making diesel fuel.

Comment

Hi All,
        Just a warning for anyone contemplating playing around with MEK..its very nasty stuff!
        Laurie

Comment

Cuppatea can you post a Safety data sheet for MEK? I agree with Lozzer and think the only thing we should say about it on this forum is, never be tempted to use any of it, even if you are offered it for free.
          The good thing about WVO is that it is non toxic, lets keep it that way.
          Johnnojack
          4WD Isuzu Jackaroo 3.1 200000km on WVO,(2020) 2 tank home built system 6 solenoids FPHE, heated filter fuel line and tank pickup for thicker oil. Mk. 9 version now and no changes planned as trouble free.
          Mercedes W201 190D 1986 model: 2 tank system, bigger fuel line from tank, no heat exchanger, electric pump for diesel 22000km so far sigpic

Comment

Found very informative MSDS for MEK
            Interesting info includes:
            Boiling point 78'C
            AutoIgnition 474'C
            Flash point -6.7'C
            Does not mix in water, floats.

Another site listed MEK as a good dissolver of oil, grease and fat.

A quick google search, I couldnt come up with a price for MEK. I can't imagine it being cheap enough as a thinner though maybe OK as an ingredient for an injector cleaner??

I note MEK is not listed amongst ingredients in any of the MSDS I have for injector cleaners.

Comment

you lot probably know this, but MEKP (methyl ethyl Ketone peroxide) is the hardener used in fibreglassing. in that form it is really toxic stuff. care needs to be taken before it gets mixed in to the resin.

I certainly wouldnt be advocating its long term use as a fuel. it would be interseting to know what the exhaust fumes consist of when you burn it. I would be surprised if the EPA would happy about its use.

Comment

Working...
              X