battery repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• battery repair

It the time of the year again, when the starter motor is getting slower and slower. before the battery completely dies you might like to try over charging your battery for 24 hours. I did this on my wife's van 2 years ago, and is only just now starting to act up again. I will have another go at restoring it tonight. The link below is a good read.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...acid_batteries

Re: battery repair

I had some success with Inox ?? a battery conditioner I think I got it from
    supacheap.

Got another 12 months out of the 8 year old battery.
    After pouring in the liquid you could see a change in the battery
    within days, colour had cleared from a dirty looking colour back to clear
    and the plates looked clean compared to looking wavy and corroded.

For the price about $12 it probably was not worth it for just another 12
    months but I think I will condition current replacement in a few years.
    neil
    Last edited by neil; 12 July 2011, 07:17 PM.

Comment

it been a couple of day since i put 15.5 volts into the battery for 24 hours, the engine starts good as new again. I have tried Inox on the battery i tried it on it didn't help much. good to hear you had some success with it.

Comment

I tried all those chemical battery restorers and they don't work very well, tried over charging them and that is a short term thing as the plates actually swell, breaking of the sulphate but can collapse after a few month.

I use an electronic de-sulphator which you can get on ebay for about $40, I tried one a few years ago on some boat batteries which had gone dead after sitting for a couple of seasons, it took a few months but they finally came back to full life and are still in the boat more than 3 years later with a 24v de-suphator attached. Now I have them on the house batteries, bus, cars and tractor, I'm just rejuvenated 5 x 120amp deep cycle batteries a bloke had on float for a couple of years and wouldn't charge over 12.7v. I told him to get a de-sulphator, but he took them to the transfer station (up the road from me) as the battery bloke told him they were stuffed. I got them and after a a few months they are back to 13.2v and about to be put into my house battery bank.

Comment

Working...
        X