Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting glycerine

Good morning everyone,

as this silliness is spreading, a lot of people in the area have rediscovered the old veggie patch.

I have been composting most of my glycerine over the last 2 years. With I think great results.

I have got 2 compost heaps, about 1m3 ea. The glycerine gets applied in a thin layer, them covered with straw, mulch or grass clippings. Twice a year the composting toilet gets emptied there as well.
    Next layer and so on. The compost has a beautiful dark rich colour and smells like good compost.
    It is important to not put too much glycerine on at anyone time as this will end up as a smelly mess.
    I often also use saw dust from work to absorb the glycerine and stop it from running everywhere.

My compost heap always sits around 55-60 degrees, which should kill off any harmful bacteria. As my first compost heap approaches 2 years, I am about to use it in the garden.
    When I checked it yesterday, it was full of worms, I will keep you posted on the results.

My recent addition to the garden where 2 banana plants. Somewhere I have heard that Bananas like potassium fertiliser. Has anyone of you applied glycerine as a weak brew or direct in small doses to Bananas?

have a great day!

Jens
    1990 Toyota Hilux LN106 with ATG 2 tank system (sold after running 150.000 ks on mainly WVO)

1993 Toyota 75 Series with 1 HDT conversion, 75l factory tank and a custom 170l under tray tank. (Retired with 680.000ks on the clock mostly running on BIO and on WVO)

2006 Landcruiser Troopcarrier 1HZ with DTS Turbo Kit, 170ltr long range tank currently not converted, running on B100

"him who never made a mistake, made no discovery either"

SPAM Content deleted
    Tony From West Oz
    Vice Chairperson of WARFA
    Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 18 August 2022, 12:45 AM. Reason: SPAM - Deleted content

Comment

Interesting information

Comment

Years ago I heard , the money is in the junk end of the business . Turning waste into a useful product is an example of that . Purified glycerine can be made into glyceryl triacetate , which can be used and is worth money . I don't know about calculating the economics of making it , cost versus production of revenue . Seems a shame to compost it , when it might turn a profit . A formula for glyceryl triacetate is glycerine + glacial acetic acid + catalytic amount of concentrated sulfuric acid + heat to produce glyceryl triacetate plus water . Then purify

Comment

Working...
        X