X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for Biodiesel People in Adelaide

Hello shortman, robert, andrew, tony, jb, dillyman, siv, grapes and dagwil,
    did I leave anyone out?

I hope to be a biodiesel person in adelaide. I put a new thread up just before to provide a brief description of myself.

But I thought I'd come in here and say g'day.

Kieron

Comment

G'day Kieron,

Would be happy to catch up when I have a free moment.

I have a longish list of names of interested folks, but just have lacked the time to do it.

Ciao for now
      Andrew.

Comment

G'day Keiren,

I know that I am still interested in setting up a still, and Andrew is as well. I have been very busy lately, so have put it off for now. I am hoping that I can get after it this summer. Are you interested in making a still? Have you been using the B100 from SAFF? What are you driving?

Cheers,
        JB
        Cheers,
        JB
        1984 HJ47 'Patches'
        2002 Hilux 'Moe'
        Adelaide, South Australia
        Land Cruiser fanatic
        aeroplane enthusiast

Comment

Just a heads up on SAFF at present ...

their policy appears to be to price B100 at 10c under (versus 2c under as it used to be) their fossil fuel diesel price.

One of their franchisees says that they had "a cheaper source of supply" which whilst plausible doesn't seem to marry with my knowledge of how they operate.

Perhaps their SA plant is online now?

Anyways, it is now on sale at Upper Sturt as well.

Ciao for now
          Andrew smelling like fish and chips.

Comment

G'day Andrew,

I just filled up at Upper Sturt for $1.30/ litre. I did not know thye had gone to $.10 per litre difference; that is brilliant! Pity the powers that be won't wave the 50 cent tax (or part of it) on biodiesel, but what can you do? I'll take the $.10; almost makes up for the poor fuel economy I get on biodiesel.

Cheers,

Josh
            Cheers,
            JB
            1984 HJ47 'Patches'
            2002 Hilux 'Moe'
            Land Cruiser fanatic
            aeroplane enthusiast

Comment

Hey all,

took me a while but I found my way here, thanks to someone in Perth selling some filters on eBay who had a link to the forum on his item.
              Currently building a reactor to start putting the oil I've collected over the last few months to use. Currently running on SAFF Bio until I get my reactor operational.
              If anyone can tell me where I can find a 2.0-2.4KW stainless steel heating element that mounts via a screw thread I'd love to hear from you (sorry guys, but I have issues with putting a flame near a container of liquid that has a flashpoint below zero).
              For those who are under the belief that you are buying B100 from SAFF at the moment, you are not. You are buying B50 or B60, during winter they blend it, B100 returns in October. This was what they told me when I contacted them when I was trying to find out what was wrong with my car when we had the REALLY cold snap a while back. I was told that between July and October it is blended to prevent clouding. Someone has also commented on an SA plant being used by SAFF, the same conversation lead me to belive it is made at the depot at Pooraka. If you have any questions about the product they sell call them, they are very helpful and friendly, although they dont like discussing how to make it, fair enough I guess.
              Anyway, here I am, amongst the like minded who (unlike some of my colleagues at work) dont consider me to be living on the lunatic fringe..

Gotta go, got a reactor to finish.

Adam
              Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Adam,
                Welcome to the lunatic fringe.

Do you need a 5 micron filter?
                Tony
                Life is a journey, with problems to solve, lessons to learn, but most of all, experiences to enjoy.

Current Vehicles in stable:
                '06 Musso Sports 4X4 Manual Crew Cab tray back.
                '04 Rexton 4X4 Automatic SUV
                '2014 Toyota Prius (on ULP) - Wife's car

Previous Vehicles:
                '90 Mazda Capella. (2000 - 2003) My first Fatmobile. Converted to fun on veggie oil with a 2 tank setup.
                '80 Mercedes 300D. 2 tank conversion [Sold]
                '84 Mercedes 300D. 1 tank, no conversion. Replaced engine with rebuilt OM617A turbodiesel engine. Finally had good power. Engine donor for W123 coupe. (body parted out and carcass sold for scrap.)
                '85 Mercedes Benz W123 300CD Turbodiesel
                '99 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my darling Wife's car)[sold]
                '98 Mercedes W202 C250 Turbodiesel (my car)[sold]
                '06 Musso Sports Crew Cab well body. [Head gasket blew!]
                '04 Rexton SUV 2.9L Turbodiesel same as Musso - Our Family car.
                '06 Musso sports Crew Cab Trayback - My hack (no air cond, no heater).

Searching the Biofuels Forum using Google
                Adding images and/or documents to your posts

Comment

G'day Adam,

Id love to see that reactor one day. Where are you getting the oil? It is a very good thing that they are blending the B100 into B50 during the winter- I had a B100 batch left in the tank when we had the first cold snap, and my Hilux was running like a petrol-engined vehicle with a bad spark plug. I was driving up Old Bel Air Rd, and I could not get her to go any faster than 25 KPH the whole way up. I got to BP at the top, and put in about 25 litres of dino juice, and the problem went away within a few klicks. I think that once I get my homebrew still set up, I will have to make my own B50 in the winter to keep the 3 litre running strong.

Welcome to the edge(c:

Josh
                  Cheers,
                  JB
                  1984 HJ47 'Patches'
                  2002 Hilux 'Moe'
                  Land Cruiser fanatic
                  aeroplane enthusiast

Comment

Originally posted by zigparacingtadpole
                    Hey all,

took me a while but I found my way here, thanks to someone in Perth selling some filters on eBay who had a link to the forum on his item.
                    Currently building a reactor to start putting the oil I've collected over the last few months to use. Currently running on SAFF Bio until I get my reactor operational.
                    If anyone can tell me where I can find a 2.0-2.4KW stainless steel heating element that mounts via a screw thread I'd love to hear from you (sorry guys, but I have issues with putting a flame near a container of liquid that has a flashpoint below zero).
                    For those who are under the belief that you are buying B100 from SAFF at the moment, you are not. You are buying B50 or B60, during winter they blend it, B100 returns in October. This was what they told me when I contacted them when I was trying to find out what was wrong with my car when we had the REALLY cold snap a while back. I was told that between July and October it is blended to prevent clouding. Someone has also commented on an SA plant being used by SAFF, the same conversation lead me to belive it is made at the depot at Pooraka. If you have any questions about the product they sell call them, they are very helpful and friendly, although they dont like discussing how to make it, fair enough I guess.
                    Anyway, here I am, amongst the like minded who (unlike some of my colleagues at work) dont consider me to be living on the lunatic fringe..

Gotta go, got a reactor to finish.

Adam
                    If you search the "end of the element saga" thread right here on this forum you will find what you are looking for Adam
                    It is all self explanatory
                    Let me know if I can be of any help
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    Robert
                    Administrator
                    Last edited by Robert; 18 September 2006, 02:16 PM.
                    Cheers
                    Chris
                    Never give up :)

Comment

G'day All

Thanks for the warm welcome to the site.
                      Tony from West OZ, thanks for helping me find my way here, I have already learned a few things, but sorry at present I have no need for a filter, I already have the filtration side of things fairly well sorted.

Patches (Josh) When its finished and operational and I have the bugs ironed out I'll let you know and we can make some arrangements for you (and anyone else who wants to build one) to see the reactor. As for where I get my oil from, I have arrangements with several takeaway places local to me. Getting WVO isnt all that hard, most store owners are glad to give it away as it is a hassle for them to get rid of it. Ask around, start collecting now if you are planning on building a reactor. I have a couple of hundred litres stashed down the side of my house at the moment waiting for me to finish the reactor.

If anyone wants vindication go see the movie (doco) currently screening called 'The inconvenient truth', featuring Al Gore. Not only will you continue to use bio, but you will also start looking for other ways to cut greenhouse gases. Well worth a look.

Rgds
                      Adam
                      Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Hi All,

im a newbie to this site and i make bio on my farm and it is great stuff. but i make my bio using a Centrifugal pump and getting it down to 0.5 micron then adding methonal to it and bingo i have my bio ye ha
                        hope to hear from anybody in Adelaide drop me a line. Must warn you im a mad Peugeot collector and love Collingwood. would love to hear from anybody around the mid north.

regards,
                        garry
                        pug505v6@skymesh.com.au

Comment

Another Adelaide nutter here... (Shame to see this thread so quiet.)

Picked up a 1990 80 Series Landcruiser earlier last year from a homebrewer. Hadn't heard of BD before then. Have done some test batches only to get the basics sorted but not in production as yet.

About to gear up now with the new year upon us (and looking at distractions now that I'm back at work) and the failing of my diesel pump seals with the addition of petro-diesel...

My Cruiser 'Molly' (as in, "the unsinkable Molly Brown") has been on homemade BD since 1996 (250,000kms) and travelled all over Oz. I put some regular petro-diesel in over past few months and now the leaks have started. Still, most likely age/wear related so I won't dwell on it.

Need to get startup gear. Will be building my own based on what previous owner had set up - since he had a proven process. Looking for agitators, elements and so on from whitegood 2nd hand/salvage. Don't need any drums, I hear there are plenty available in Snowtown...

Anyone interested in organising a get together, count me in.

Cheers

Max

Comment

Re: Biodiesel from bowsers in SA

Have just seen your post here about people in SA/Adelaide making biodiesel. I am making it for myself in Riverland area. If you would like to network a little and share experience of bio results, please PM me for my email address Cheers. Jason P
                            Tony From West Oz
                            Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                            Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 21 March 2009, 01:26 AM. Reason: Email address removed for member protection.

Comment

Ive just joined the forum. Would like to meet with South Australians to discuss entrepreneurial biofuels bids. Science training, turned businessman. PM me for my contact details Looking forward to hearing from people
                              Tony From West Oz
                              Vice Chairperson of WARFA
                              Last edited by Tony From West Oz; 14 August 2010, 12:23 AM. Reason: changed email address to PM request

Comment

hi all - i know this is a BIO section but just wanting to put my hand up and say Im looking to convert my old merc to use SVO/WVO so would be interested in buying filtered/dried oil before its turned into bio if thats of interest to anyone.
                                cheers!

Comment

Working...
                                X