Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum reactor tank

Hi

Is there are any issues using a aluminum tank as reactor ie does methoxide react to / with aluminum or even BD.

As aways

Stuart

Re: Aluminum reactor tank

DON'T us aluminium. The caustic used will eat it away.

Simple experiment. Coke bottle, add 1/2 litre water, add some caustic, then add some aluminium foil. Stuff from inside the top of a cigerette packet would do.
    In no time it will be all eaten away. The little bubbles that are given off are hydrogen.

Comment

Opps ... of course dam .. forgot about the caustic soda

... found a lovely aluminum tank

Thanks Qwarla

Comment

Old hot water systems or the larger gas bottles aren't too bad.

Saw a 5 foot gas bottle at the recyclers at the Margate tip today.

Would have grabbed it if I'd had the 4WD.
        Last edited by kamel; 30 May 2008, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamel View Post
          Old hot water systems or the larger gas bottles aren't too bad.

Saw a 5 foot gas bottle at the recyclers at the Margate tip today.

Would have grabbed it if I'd had the 4WD.
          Hmmm saw it there myself and wondered

Stuart

Comment

Thinking an old gas bottle is the go.

Can pressurise to allow higher temp reactions without Methoxide boiling off.

Can put under vacumn to remove methanol after reaction.

Wonder if bottles are galvanised inside or not...

Might get a smaller one to try it out.

Comment

Gday,I have cut open 3 100 lb lpg bottles and they were not galvanized inside.regards Westwinds

Comment

to allow higher temp reactions without Methoxide boiling off.
                and what the hell would the point of that be?
                Cheers
                Nick.
                Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                sigpic

Comment

and what the hell would the point of that be?
                  Im no expert in the field but I might venture to suggest that shortening reaction time possibly with a view to continuous flow would be the object of that exercise.
                  Rgds

Adam

"Revolution never comes with a warning!"

Comment

Originally posted by zigparacingtadpole View Post
                    Im no expert in the field but I might venture to suggest that shortening reaction time possibly with a view to continuous flow would be the object of that exercise.
                    Bingo!!

I already do similar, but manually. Pressures are relatively low... but it doesn't take a lot to increase the usable temperature range... and a 10 - 20 deg increase in reaction temperature decreases reaction time dramatically.

Comment

why? whats the rush? it seriously takes less than an hour.
                      i just can't see how the engineering will be worth the gain? maybe im missing something???
                      Cheers
                      Nick.
                      Harold 2002 Toyota Landcruiser 105 series. 4.2lt turbo glide turbo, Too lazy to make bio nowdays times money. 3'' lift.

Roidio 2001 Holden Rodeo 4x4 2.8L TD. 2.5" exhaust sytem, H/E shower system. 4" Lift, Airbags, And lots of fruit, B100 for 55,000 . SOLD

Elsa 1983 Mercedes-Benz W123 300D. Still The Fastest Merc in Oz, Self built and Female proofed. COUSINS NOW
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RODEONICK View Post
                        why? whats the rush? it seriously takes less than an hour.
                        i just can't see how the engineering will be worth the gain? maybe im missing something???
                        One can't have something overengineered just for fun?

But seriously... a sealed unit totally contains any vapour. Predetermined level of oil + methoxide at 70 - 80 deg causes some initial, boil off, that pressurises the unit, then is absorbed back into the mixture as the temp drops.

After reacting, the still fairly hot mix in pumped into a settling tank, over a yet to be designed flash evaporator to remove the meth, which settles out in a condensor. Mix settles out in a couple of hours, with the soap falling out of suspension due to no meth.

Scoop bio off the top, already clean... no water required.

That's the plan anyway. We'll see what reality has to say about it.

Comment

After reacting, the still fairly hot mix in pumped into a settling tank, over a yet to be designed flash evaporator to remove the meth, which settles out in a condensor. Mix settles out in a couple of hours, with the soap falling out of suspension due to no meth.

Scoop bio off the top, already clean... no water required.

That's the plan anyway. We'll see what reality has to say about it.
                          I could be wrong, but it has been said that if you remove the methanol before you seperate the bio and glyc that the reaction will start to reverse.
                          So if you do it the way you propose you may be surprised to end up with UCO as your end product.
                          However if you seperate first then it should work no problems.

Comment

Oooh. Good point.

Comment

Working...
                            X